DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about what to do with the "USB connection used for..." on Android Device

Jcage

Reactions
So I started having disconnect issues again and am troubleshooting... Again. Anyway, when you connect an Android phone (mine is Droid Turbo2) to Mavic RC and the power on the controller, it auto starts DJI Go4 and then connects to the Mavic if everything works well. One thing I've wondered is if it makes a difference how you tell your phone to behave with the USB connection. By default when you connect the controller, the little USB symbol pops up in the phone's top menu bar and if you pull it down it says "USB connection currently used for charging only." You can change that setting to allow a file transfer over the USB connection or PTP or Software Installation, etc. etc.

I'm sure other Android phone users know what I'm talking about. My question is whether that setting for the USB connection makes any difference in how the phone is able to communicate with the remote using the DJIGO 4 app.

Anyone know the answer?

thanks

JC

When the USB port is set to charging only, your phone will not be able to connect to DJI GO. So, you'll want to make sure you change that setting before starting DJI GO.

Thanks.... I actually found this on DJI support site under Video Downlink FAQ...

1. The DJI GO app says "Disconnected". How can I fix this?
"Disconnected" is displayed in the DJI GO app when the remote controller is not connected with the mobile device. Do the following to fix this issue:
1. Ensure that your mobile device is on the approved devices list on DJI's website.
2. Check if the mobile device is connected with the remote controller. Please reconnect the USB cable or try connecting with a different cable or USB port.
3. For Android devices, turn on "USB Debugging" under Developer options. If "Disconnected" is still displayed, check if the remote controller is charging the mobile device. If it is, "Only charge the mobile device" is selected in USB options. Please turn on Camera (PTP) under USB computer connection.

So it would seem more specifically PTP is the mode that is preferred. Unfortunately you need to enable "developer" mode on the Android to make that change by default in Android V6 and not sure I want to change that mode on my phone. I have an older DroidMaxx that I might update and try with the Mavic remote. Seems also I should be trying the 2nd USB port on the bottom of the remote with a different cable while unplugging the USB cable from the top port. Unfortunately it is raining all weekend here so won't get to make progress on this for another week. Annoying.

JC

Unfortunately you need to enable "developer" mode on the Android to make that change by default in Android V6 and not sure I want to change that mode on my phone.
I have developer mode enabled on all of my Android devices. I've never seen any ill effects from changing that setting.

I have developer mode enabled on all of my Android devices. I've never seen any ill effects from changing that setting.

OK I'll try it assuming the PTP deal makes a difference. I also wondered about getting a new USB to micro USB cable for using the USB port on the bottom of the controller vs the charging port. Any idea what USB is best for use with that bottom port and a Motorola Android phone with micro usb port??

Also I'm wondering what flavor port that charging port on the side of the Mavic remote? It appears that it takes some special kind of connector for when it is working with a micro USB or lightning connected smart device, but then also accepts a micro usb plug for charging. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

Thanks

JC

Any idea what USB is best for use with that bottom port and a Motorola Android phone with micro usb port?
You can find a few micro USB cables that might work for you here.

You can find a few micro USB cables that might work for you here.
Any idea what that charging port on the side of the Mavic remote is? It obviously accepts a micro USB plug (the charging cable is micro USB on the end which connects to the side of the Mavic remote)
However the actual DJI OEM flight cables (the short flat little cables with micro USB, lightning or USB C connectors on one side for the phone/tablet device) have a different odd type of small square connector that plugs into that same charging port on the side of the Mavic remote which also accepts Micro USB.

What kind of plug is that odd square little connector and how does it work differently than the micro USB connector that also fits in that same port for charging the Mavic remote?

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm not sure about the side port. I haven't seen any 3rd party cables for it.

I just wonder what format that port is that it accepts a micro USB cable as well as that proprietary DJI little square plug. It's kinda buggin me now. I read on DJI site that it's called "reverse" micro USB but somehow I think that's referring to the micro USB plug that goes into phone being flipped around and not the little squareish plugin the other end

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

Nobody with an idea of what type of plug that is on the side of the controller? Guess it doesn't matter. I did get a break in the rain today and positively tested that the disconnect issue with my Mavic appears to happen when the android device is plugged into that side port.

POSSIBLY MIGHT HELP SOME OF YOU WITH SIMILAR DISCONNECT ISSUES: If I follow the DJI instructions above from the video downlink FAQ and enable USB debugging (in developer options) and use the bottom port on the controller then I seem to maintain a reliable connection. If I switch back to the side port, it starts disconnecting again. Who knows why but that seems to be the situation with my particular setup for now.

JC

I purchased a mavic plat about a week ago and all was fine until yesterday I had aircraft disconnected. I am using the side port. Still figuring out what happend. Because of the awkwardness of the side connection and the way it fits into my fone, I am assuming that my hand could have shifted the connection making it loose. Will do further tests.

It's just a micro usb i use a normal phone cable to charge my Mavic RX all the time...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d