DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on Micro SD Card

Mavic_Pete

Reactions
Looking to buy a 64gb micro sd card. Will either of these work and is there any difference at all besides price and read write speed? The extreme is $32 and the extreme pro is $40. Is the pro worth the extra $8? I noticed the pro has a "A1" written next to the "U3" while the regular extreme only has the "U3". No clue what those mean and if it makes a differnece. Leaning towards just the basic extreme for $32 since its what comes in the mavic from factory (16gb). Do I need a higher write speed? Extreme is 60mb/s and pro is 90mb/sWhat would you recommend?! Thanks in advance for your responses!

Extreme (read 90, write 60)
SanDisk Extreme 64GB 90MB/S Class 10 MicroSD MicroSDXC UHS-I U3 Memory Card V30

Extreme Pro (read 100, write 90)
Sandisk 64G Extreme Pro 64GB Micro SD SDXC 64G 64GB UHS U3 100MB/s 4K US | eBay

Last edited:
Yeah, but only sort of. Those are manufacturers claims, not real world results generally. There are bottlenecks in read/write speed anyways, and the various speeds that companies list are pretty convoluted.

Here's an article that's current, and helps to clear up the confusion a bit: Fastest MicroSD Card Speed Tests | Updated October 2017

FWIW, I bought a couple of the Samsung EVO Select 128gb cards recently, and have found no difference in write speed vs the Sandisk Extreme Pro, which costs twice as much. Write speed is everything...it needs to be able to write as fast as the info comes to it, even at 4k +++

So basically I would be better off with the pro for $8 extra because of the higher read/write speed? What does the "A1" stand for and does it matter? Won't affect anything will it?

Think I found the answer. Looks it has more to do with android device than the mavic but it shouldn't make a difference. (guess that's why the android guy is on the packaging)

"The A1 spec allows the new card to manage random read input-output access per second (IOPS) of 1,500 and write IOPS of 500, so it can quickly open apps and process accompanying tasks, such as audio, graphics, saved profiles and in-app permissions. With this in mind, the new SanDisk Ultra microSD card with A1 is designed to provide consumers a faster, more powerful app experience using cards."

Reactions: eddypanik
The maximum speed the Mavic is ever going to write to the card is well under 10MB/s. Having said that, it doesn't hurt to have the fastest card possible for when you read it from your PC card slot.

Reactions: eddypanik
I don't know where you're located, but be careful buying cards from random sellers on ebay or other places. SD cards are fairly commonly counterfeited, so it ends up being a waste of time fretting over which card you get, if you don't get the one you thought you were. Some people get cards that aren't even the size they are advertised, and don't know it until they fill it up. Personally, I use a 128gb Samsung Evo Select straight from Amazon (no 3rd party), in both the Mavic and my phone. It's priced well, big, and one of the faster cards out there. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: pixl
Thanks for the replies. I went with the 64gb pro. I had a $8 eBay bucks certificate. So it ended up being around $32. Normally I won't buy from eBay but I needed to use my eBay bucks before they expired.

eBay is a big risk, as was previously mentioned. Good luck.

I'll take the chance with 131 sold, 5 star review, 100% satisfaction and 60 day return if not satisfied. I have gotten some pretty shady looking stuff from amazon as well. But I refuse to go spend double if not triple at a store like Best Buy.

Make sure you test before use even from a proper shop, a few years ago there was a bad batch of sandisk

RMPrepUSB
H2testw

Are 2 I use

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic_Pete
I use Lexar and Kingston 64gig Class 10 U1 cards. They are rated to 50mb/s. I shoot 4K only and have never had issues

Reactions: Mavic_Pete
is
I don't know where you're located, but be careful buying cards from random sellers on ebay or other places. SD cards are fairly commonly counterfeited, so it ends up being a waste of time fretting over which card you get, if you don't get the one you thought you were. Some people get cards that aren't even the size they are advertised, and don't know it until they fill it up. Personally, I use a 128gb Samsung Evo Select straight from Amazon (no 3rd party), in both the Mavic and my phone. It's priced well, big, and one of the faster cards out there. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWZWYVP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
it any problem with 128Gb size in MP? (according manual it should go max 64GB SD...)

My card for mavic Pro
$27.
https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-High-Performance-microSDXC-Reader-Memory/dp/B012PLSFH6?th=1
lexar-professional-633x-microsdxc-64gb-sd-card.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras