DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions about Fly Zone Maps and pilot rights

Photo Booth

Reactions
Two weeks ago I was at Filoli Ranch about 25 miles south of San Francisco. When I checked the B4UFly and Airmap apps they indicated I was within 5 miles of the San Carlos airport. Here's the location using DJI's map (Filoli House is near bottom center):

i-t5fWZD5.jpg

I called the number for San Carlos airport (which connected me to airport operations, not the tower) and told the person that answered that I was a hobbyist drone pilot and I was going to fly at the Filoli Ranch location for about 25 minutes, that I wouldn't exceed 400 ft AGL, and that I'd be very cautious to watch out for other aircraft.

His response surprised me. He told me I couldn't fly until I went to a different airport in the area (I forget which airport he named) and complete some paperwork to register my drone. I explained I had already registered with the FAA under section 336 and offered to give him my FAA number. I further emphasized I was a hobbyist pilot and NOT a part 107 pilot. He pretty much ignored what I had just said and repeated that I had to go to this other airport and fill out paperwork there.

After notifying San Carlos my next step would have been to ask an employee at Filoli Ranch if they had any rules regulating drones (I saw no signs). However, I ultimately decided to not bother because of what the San Carlos operations guy told me. I didn't fly.

Does anyone know what the San Carlos guy is talking about? I didn't think any locality could impose such requirements for hobbyist pilots. Was this guy simply uninformed or possibly just trying to stop me from flying by obfuscation?

I have to admit I was inclined to just tell him my only requirement was to notify him of my location and intent to fly and that I didn't need his permission. But this was the very first time I was planning a flight within 5 miles of an airport so I didn't really feel like pressing the situation.

Thoughts?

Mark

I'll go with obfuscation, CYA and perhaps a bit of harassment of a fellow airport worker at the other airport.

All you needed to tell him was that, as per FAA regulations, your responsibility to contact and notify the only airport in whose airspace you would be flying, ie, the guy you were talking to, has been covered - then launch and enjoy. There is no paperwork required by the FAA, and most certainly not by some other random airport, in whose airspace you are NOT flying. Personally, I might have mentioned to the guy that he has been notified and should act responsibly with that information. You did the right thing ~except for the part about not flying.

Reactions: Photo Booth
Hopefully you can play out there. I used to hang out All the time around Crystal Springs and ride my Ducati down Canada Rd. Love that area, very beautiful.

I might add, that you ask the person for his name and write down in a small log book the time/date/Name/airport so you have something to show if need be. CYA [emoji6].

Reactions: Qoncussion
I would’ve flown. You did what you were supposed to do. He obviously does not know the rules or does not like drones. That’s his issue not yours.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras