DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC disconnects from AC during flight!

Flying Duchmen

Reactions
Hi,
My first post here so please excuse any newbie behaviour...
I got a new Mavic few days ago and today was flying around fields near me...
During flight the RC got disconnected and I lost control of AC completelly. The AC returned home... almost ;) It was hovering above my head for 20mins while I was trying to connect back.
In the end I had to pull it down (I was afraid that it would just drain the battery and fall) and tried to switch the battery off (that also didn't work) so while trying not to get my hands ripped by running props just pulled the battery out.

After getting back home I tried it again with different battery and this time everything worked fine!

So, my question is: how can I trust that the same thing will not happen again (over a cliff or water...)?

What can I do to regain connectivity during the flight?

Note that I was't using my mobile at all - just the RC (when it works I use it with Samsung A5)

Best regards,

Glad you were able to get it down and shut off without injury. Since it was hovering for about 20 minutes, I would've just waited several more minutes for the battery to drain and allow it to initiate auto-landing. While waiting, I also would've tried to connect with phone/app. If all else failed (including auto landing), I would've just attempted to catch it when battery/power shuts off, since it seems like it low enough for you to grab it. My hands/fingers are just too valuable to risk pulling off battery while props are spinning.

I had the same thing happen. DJI said it was because I was not using the latest firmware (nonsense.) I asked if this was a known issue with the current firmware and they danced around and never gave an answer. I did not turn the remote off and back on, Maybe I should have as a last resort.
You might check your switch on the side of the Mavic that changes from RC to WiFi. Cycle it a few times to be sure it is making good connection.
I have not had the problem since but I don't have great confidence that it won't happen again.

Reactions: dfrancos
1st course of action in that situation is to reboot the controller, it should reconnect if there's no other issue/s.

Thanks,
Initially, yes - I was thinking to just wait until the battery was dead and then grab it - but in this case I took a chance.
I did restart the RC several times - no luck.
For interference - not possible - I live in a village and there were no interference sources for kms.... so that I can rule out for sure.

I will play with the RC/WiFi switch - don't really believe it but it cannot harm ;)

As I mentioned, later on I tried to fly it with a different battery and all was well. When I tried to call the AC with RTH button it came back but the app told me that the landing was not safe (it was a slightly sloped grassy field).

So could it have been that upon loosing RC connection - the RTH kicked in but the drone didn't land because it recognised the landing area as not safe?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanmeg