DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Re FAA Registration

Top Hat

Reactions
I know that this has been discussed before, but I don't see anybody asking about what happened to those
who already registered before the Court threw it out. Are our UAV's still consider par as regular AC and still
protected by the FAA against malicious individuals who wanted to shoot it down? I still have my FAA tags on my MP.....is that mean something anymore?

Only the requirements have been rescinded regarding registration. No one gave any Neanderthals out there the unmitigated right to blow us out of the skies yet. Until lifted that protection still stands.

But I'd say keep your FAA registration info with you and on your Mavic same as always. The average American knows nothing about the new FAA regs, but will still be impressed by the look of authority such markings give to your aircraft.

Registration requirement, or lack of, has no bearing on the governments continuing definition of uavs as "Airccaft" even if model aircraft, and as such, they continue to be protected under the FARs.

This said, the question is: Will they ever pursue or prosecute someone choosing to ignore the law, and shooting one down?

Their track record doesn't give us a lot of hope.

The interesting thing is that there is no FAA site you can go to if you want to find the current status of the registration requirement. I guess that a lot of people are still registering their new drones, even though they don't have to.

Here's an example: sUAS Registration

If you go to this page, you will also note that the different types of aircraft shown on the "register your sUAS" page are not all sUASs. But it's a nice animated graphic, so why waste it?

--
Will the FAA stop regulating hobby drones? - - Art from the Air - -

1) The FAA classifies all unmanned aircraft systems as aircraft and the U.S. Court of Appeals decision has no bearing on this.
2) Even though the U.S. Court of Appeals has voted in favor of allowing certain individuals to not have to register as unmanned aircraft system (drone) pilots, I would still do so because it is currently still FAA policy. The FAA is currently reviewing the court's decision. See this link for details: Unmanned Aircraft Systems. And remember that the FAA has a right to appeal the decision to a higher court (i.e. Supreme Court).
3) Like other sectors of the federal government, the FAA will sometimes choose to prosecute violations themselves on a case by case basis, but many cases are deferred to state and local courts and law enforcement who simply don't have the time or resources to prosecute or even investigate every case.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002