DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real world explanation please

rltracy33

Reactions
1..Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization.

This requirement for a recreation flight seems irrelevant to me if your not flying at a local field, yet it seems to be required for all flights. Our local field guidelines seem focused primarily on separation of different aircraft while on their field or an enforcement of existing FAA regs..
If I am flying over my home and local area how does this pertain to me? As a new pilot I am trying to understand and follow the rules but after reading thoroughly I just don't seem to really grasp this one.

Reactions: MKurr

This requirement for a recreation flight seems irrelevant to me if your not flying at a local field, yet it seems to be required for all flights. Our local field guidelines seem focused primarily on separation of different aircraft while on their field or an enforcement of existing FAA regs..
If I am flying over my home and local area how does this pertain to me? As a new pilot I am trying to understand and follow the rules but after reading thoroughly I just don't seem to really grasp this one.
A few different things:
  • With the re-authorization act of 2018 and ongoing implementation of new regulations to follow the requirements of that act, the community based guidelines are being replaced with actual rules and regulations which can be enforced by the FAA. Most of the previous guidelines will translate directly to the new regulations (i.e. 400 foot max altitude, no flying beyond VLOS, etc).
  • The regulations are not only for separation between RC craft. You are sharing the NAS with other aircraft of all kinds. You need to be safe so that your drone does not interfere with manned aircraft.
    If you are not flying at an AMA field/club, the rules may be even more important since now you may be flying in closer vicinity to not only manned aircraft, but also people and structures.
    The rules are designed to keep flying safe for everyone and to protect others (in the air and on the ground).

In my case both AMA fields fall inside the 5 mile perimeters or various airports so those two things would immediately be in conflict without calls to the airports or so it would seem to me as I learn the subtleties.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
In my case both AMA fields fall inside the 5 mile perimeters or various airports so those two things would immediately be in conflict without calls to the airports or so it would seem to me as I learn the subtleties.

Distance to the airport no longer matters in terms of sUAS regulations now with the new FAA Hobbyist Laws that went into effect 5/17/2019. Here's an excellent link that breaks it down very nicely:

. Your actions are determined by the class of Airspace the area you're flying in.

I guess I thought the 5 mile perimeter around a major airport was considered class C. The AMA field is actually split in half by a class C airspace (verified by the large arc on AirMap).

The smaller circle is a regional airport but not classified airspace. This is an honest question. Am I missing something? I am sure something is in place in terms of the field being partially under class c classification but this is all just what I am looking into as I learn to understand the rules. I misread the map regarding the other field its just in the circle of a small airfied and not classified as class C space.

No conflict at all:
  • The tower and ATC know of the AMA field and its location. It is specially granted permission for operations within the confines and maximum altitude established for that field.
  • There should be no danger to manned aircraft because the field is situated in such a manner to keep it out of flight paths for the airport. They wouldn't locate an AMA field 500 feet from the end of an active runway, for instance.

There is the wording that fixes my dilemma. " authorized fixed sites located within controlled airspace. "

The devil is in the details. Answered my own questions. Thanks for pointing me to that summary post. :)

I guess I thought the 5 mile perimeter around a major airport was considered class C.
Not all airports are in Class C airspace. Airports can be located in Class B, C, D, or E controlled airspace.

Reactions: Hegemone
This clarification is what I was looking for as I default to #3. but hadn't found this stated before. I do understand the safety objectives and do my best to follow the regulations as I understand them. I now know the reason I could find the Cbos safety guidelines is the have yet to exist. Thanks everyone for the comments and help.

1. Follow the safety guidelines of a community-based organization (CBO)

The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 requires the FAA and community-based aeromodelling organizations (CBOs) to coordinate the development of safety guidelines for recreational small unmanned aircraft operations. As of today, no recognized CBOs or coordinated safety guidelines exist. Until the FAA establishes the criteria and process and begins recognizing CBOs, they are allowing pilots to do one of the following:

2. Operate in accordance with existing safety guidelines of an aeromodelling organization (like the AMA) as long as those guidelines do not conflict with existing FAA rules.

3. Follow the FAA’s existing safety guidelines – which are based on industry best practices.

Note: When following the rules of a CBO (or aeromodelling organization), you should be able to explain to an FAA inspector or law enforcement official which safety guidelines you are following.

This requirement for a recreation flight seems irrelevant to me if your not flying at a local field, yet it seems to be required for all flights.

Since no one has addressed this...

Yes, the FAA will now require all hobby flight to conform to guidelines of a COB. So even if you don't fly on COB managed property or even, you still need to follow some COB's guidelines.

Their is some mention of what a COB needs to be (and they they can submit their info to the FAA for approval) but, as far as I can see, the FAA is also stating that they will release more info on what a COB is.

This information is as follows:

‘‘(h) COMMUNITY-BASED ORGANIZATION DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘community-based organization’ means a membership- based association entity that— ‘‘(1) is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986; ‘‘(2) is exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986; ‘‘(3) the mission of which is demonstrably the furtherance of model aviation; ‘‘(4) provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for all aspects of model aviation addressing the assembly and operation of model aircraft and that emphasize safe aeromodelling operations within the national airspace system and the protection and safety of individuals and property on the ground, and may provide a comprehensive set of safety rules and programming for the operation of unmanned aircraft that have the advanced flight capabilities enabling active, sustained, and controlled navigation of the aircraft beyond visual line of sight of the operator; ‘‘(5) provides programming and support for any local charter organizations, affiliates, or clubs; and ‘‘(6) provides assistance and support in the development and operation of locally designated model aircraft flying sites. ‘‘(i) RECOGNITION OF COMMUNITY-BASED ORGANIZATIONS.—In collaboration with aeromodelling stakeholders, the Administrator shall publish an advisory circular within 180 days of the date of enactment of this section that identifies the criteria and process required for recognition of community-based organizations.’’. (b) TECHNICAL AND CONFORMING AMENDMENTS.— (1) TABLE OF CONTENTS.—The table of contents for chapter 448 of title 49, United States Code, as added by this Act, is further amended by adding at the end the following:

So yes... the FAA is _still_ being unclear on this and has _again_ failed to provide the needed information.

Setting that aside, this appears to be, yet again, BS fluff added into the law. It _still_ does not make any sense. As if the FAA cannot make up their own rules, you are still required to follow more rules by a COB.

Reactions: rltracy33
I have just started the FlyersUnlimited CBO. We are nationwide and we consider anyone who flies a drone within the jurisdiction of the United States a member.

We have no rules other then to follow the law as written. Membership is at will. Any member can call a meeting or official event at any time and any place as long as rule 1 above is followed.

Congratulations you all now have fulfilled the CBO requirement!

I have just started the FlyersUnlimited CBO. We are nationwide and we consider anyone who flies a drone within the jurisdiction of the United States a member.

We have no rules other then to follow the law as written. Membership is at will. Any member can call a meeting or official event at any time and any place as long as rule 1 above is followed.

Gee, this claim seems oddly familiar.

Your CBO is on file as being tax exempt? Please post this proof.

You best get your advisory circular published and attend to all the other statutory requirements.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre