DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really miss D-Cinelike...

Garuda

Reactions
Went out flying for the first time. Wonderful drone! Settings used was 4K HQ@30fps 1/60 manual shutter DLog-M with the new H.265 codec. The video looks great, but sat down to colorgrade with the free version of Davinci Resolve (love the toolset for colorgrading) and realized I couldn´t import a H.265 file :rolleyes:. Was able to just import the RAW into Vegas PRO 15 (but the colorgrading tools sucks in that app IMO) So OK maybe change settings to DLog-M H.264 for the next flight? Nope NOT possible...so what is left? Normal-mode H.264. Looks good, but not very workable in post. I want more options and I just realized how much I miss D-Cinelike that was on the original Mavic Pro. Any thoughts on this?

Buy the $1 h265 codec from microsoft store.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah but I read somewhere that if you can play a RAW H.265 file with the Windows Media Player that codec is already installed on your computer and I can play them fine. It is just that my favourite colorgrading software (davinci resolve) won´t even recognize the files. Downloading the latest free DR 15.2 right now...hoping for the best

Thanks for the reply! Yeah but I read somewhere that if you can play a RAW H.265 file with the Windows Media Player that codec is already installed on your computer and I can play them fine. It is just that my favourite colorgrading software (davinci resolve) won´t even recognize the files. Downloading the latest free DR 15.2 right now...hoping for the best
Responding to my own post :p. Downloaded and installed the newest free DR 15.2 release now and YES! The files are recognized now and the video is remarkable smooth to edit with. Very happy with this, just wanted to let you know

Reactions: MPone
Can you clarify what you downloaded as this is a common problem
The latest free version of Davinci Resolve version 15.2. Running on a fully updated Win10 64-bit install. Great to finally be able to colorgrade a DLog-M H.265 file [emoji106]

I'm confused... so can the free version of DR edit H.265? I thought only the paid version can.

I ready hope they add the D-cinelike profile in the next update [emoji19]
Yes I found that format very easy to work with, maybe its a matter of just learning a new way to do it? Bring it on DJI!

The 15.2 version can edit the H265 format, but could it export/render it in H265? I only see the H264 option when trying to render it in MP4.

I am pretty sure to export in H265 you need the paid version of DaVinci. You should be able to edit as normal in 10bit H265 to take advantage of the extra bit depth, and then covert to H264. H265 really is just a different delivery compression method to allow for streaming higher quality files at lower bitrates. May not be ideal for you but you should be able to continue using the free version.

I am pretty sure to export in H265 you need the paid version of DaVinci. You should be able to edit as normal in 10bit H265 to take advantage of the extra bit depth, and then covert to H264. H265 really is just a different delivery compression method to allow for streaming higher quality files at lower bitrates. May not be ideal for you but you should be able to continue using the free version.
Thanks for the head ups

You can only export h264 8 bit with free version. As far as I can tell. Import all day long.

I am very happy with DlogM and at this point only use Davici Resolve 15 (paid version). For those of you that start with Resolve and would like to produce some decent output with DlogM footage - here are some hints that might help you along the way:

I use Resolve 15 and for the most part just use my favorite LUT (my own creation). You can download it and use it if you like from my Google Drive: Shared Stuff - Google Drive

For Resolve in Windows: Copy the folder with file to c:\ProgramData\BlackMagic Design\Davinci Resolve\Support\LUT
Then simply restart Resolve and use the LUT. I got best results as follows:

1) Take your DlogM footage preferably at EV0 +/- 1 to 1.5 as you shoot. I choose Style=+1,0,0 for HQ and +2,0,0 for FFOV. Make sure to set your White Balance to MANUAL along with everything else. Click off AFC, but leave AF on and make it a habit to focus on a proper distance object when you start shooting (simply infinity with MF is not all that accurate unfortunately). To choose a good starting WB, simply click to AUTO and then click back to MANUAL WB. That will take a measurement and fix it in manual setting.

2) Create a project in Resolve for the correct resolution and frame rate to match your original. On the master settings (on bottom) set to "Optical Flow", "Enhanced Better" and "Larger". In Color Management set all three to "Rec. 709 Gamma 2.2". After that, import all your footage and make sure it does not suggest to change anything. If it does, then your project settings don't match your sources.

3) Edit the footage and apply color grading. You can create shared nodes or groups at your preference to apply grades to multiple (or all) clips. Remember, since you shot the whole sequence in manual settings with manual WB, you may be fine applying the grade to all of it. To do so, I create two nodes (in group or on Timeline). The first node I use to apply whatever WB correction I deem necessary. I always use either some white puffy clouds (make sure they are not clipped - use your Parade) or a blank photo-paper sheet that I video in the beginning and use the WB tool (bottom left most icon) and click on whatever is supposed to be perfectly white. If your original WB setting was good, almost nothing happens, but most likely it will apply slight tint correction along with temperature. Trust the result if the area you clicked on is a good white source. I use this node (only if I have a need for given the subject) to apply lens correction. FFOV has quite a bit of curvature so it is more likely necessary to fix that. HQ in general, not really needed unless you happen to have an ocean horizon or something similarly perfectly flat across the complete visual.

I use the second node to apply my favorite LUT and then adjust (if needed) the low and high points close to 0 and MAX using the "Parade" make sure to verify your darkest and your brightest portion of the video to fit. Then I apply a little "Midtone Detail" (20-30) depending on subject and effect. If needed or appropriate, apply Color Boost +5 to +15 and increase the Saturation to 55 or even 60 (Note that if you have a cloudy/gray day versus a sunny bright sequence, these values will be different). Check your vector scope for good saturation values. If your WB is good, this will create a very natural deep color rendering.

4) Now you may have to apply some noise reduction and possible sharpening. In order to do that, I use my group (timeline does not work for that), select "Group Post Clip" and add two nodes. The first one, I apply some TEMPORAL noise reduction. I choose "5 frames", "Better", "Large" and then set the temporal threshold to about 20-30. Temporal noise reduction only very minimally softens the image, but I typically compensate with the second node where I apply "Sharpening" set at 2, 0.02,1,1,1 for HQ and 2,0.025,2,1,1. Make sure any sharpening is the very last thing applied.

Since I use an NVIDIA graphics card/processor, Resolve 15 now allows you to render H265/10-bit to final using the native H265 support on the card which I limit to 100000 (100Mb/s). If you can't use that, then set the render to H264 (8-bit by default) and limit the output to a minimum of 100000 (100Mb/s).

Last edited:
I am very happy with DlogM and at this point only use Davici Resolve 15 (paid version). For those of you that start with Resolve and would like to produce some decent output with DlogM footage - here are some hints that might help you along the way:

I use Resolve 15 and for the most part just use my favorite LUT (my own creation). You can download it and use it if you like from my Google Drive: Shared Stuff - Google Drive

For Resolve in Windows: Copy the folder with file to c:\ProgramData\BlackMagic Design\Davinci Resolve\Support\LUT
Then simply restart Resolve and use the LUT. I got best results as follows:

1) Take your DlogM footage preferably at EV0 +/- 1 to 1.5 as you shoot. I choose Style=+1,0,0 for HQ and +2,0,0 for FFOV. Make sure to set your White Balance to MANUAL along with everything else. Click off AFC, but leave AF on and make it a habit to focus on a proper distance object when you start shooting (simply infinity with MF is not all that accurate unfortunately). To choose a good starting WB, simply click to AUTO and then click back to MANUAL WB. That will take a measurement and fix it in manual setting.

2) Create a project in Resolve for the correct resolution and frame rate to match your original. On the master settings (on bottom) set to "Optical Flow", "Enhanced Better" and "Larger". In Color Management set all three to "Rec. 709 Gamma 2.2". After that, import all your footage and make sure it does not suggest to change anything. If it does, then your project settings don't match your sources.

3) Edit the footage and apply color grading. You can create shared nodes or groups at your preference to apply grades to multiple (or all) clips. Remember, since you shot the whole sequence in manual settings with manual WB, you may be fine applying the grade to all of it. To do so, I create two nodes (in group or on Timeline). The first node I use to apply whatever WB correction I deem necessary. I always use either some white puffy clouds (make sure they are not clipped - use your Parade) or a blank photo-paper sheet that I video in the beginning and use the WB tool (bottom left most icon) and click on whatever is supposed to be perfectly white. If your original WB setting was good, almost nothing happens, but most likely it will apply slight tint correction along with temperature. Trust the result if the area you clicked on is a good white source. I use this node (only if I have a need for given the subject) to apply lens correction. FFOV has quite a bit of curvature so it is more likely necessary to fix that. HQ in general, not really needed unless you happen to have an ocean horizon or something similarly perfectly flat across the complete visual.

I use the second node to apply my favorite LUT and then adjust (if needed) the low and high points close to 0 and MAX using the "Parade" make sure to verify your darkest and your brightest portion of the video to fit. Then I apply a little "Midtone Detail" (20-30) depending on subject and effect. If needed or appropriate, apply Color Boost +5 to +15 and increase the Saturation to 55 or even 60 (Note that if you have a cloudy/gray day versus a sunny bright sequence, these values will be different). Check your vector scope for good saturation values. If your WB is good, this will create a very natural deep color rendering.

4) Now you may have to apply some noise reduction and possible sharpening. In order to do that, I use my group (timeline does not work for that), select "Group Post Clip" and add two nodes. The first one, I apply some TEMPORAL noise reduction. I choose "5 frames", "Better", "Large" and then set the temporal threshold to about 20-30. Temporal noise reduction only very minimally softens the image, but I typically compensate with the second node where I apply "Sharpening" set at 2, 0.02,1,1,1 for HQ and 2,0.025,2,1,1. Make sure any sharpening is the very last thing applied.

Since I use an NVIDIA graphics card/processor, Resolve 15 now allows you to render H265/10-bit to final using the native H265 support on the card limited bandwidth to 100000 (100Mb/s). If you can't use that, then set the render to H264 (8-bit by default) and limit the output to a minimum of 100000 (100Mb/s).

Thanks for all the tips. Will give it a shot.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven