DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reckless flying- what are your thoughts?

Imagineimagery

Reactions
Reckless flying is going to get more and more reckless and happen more and more often- what are your thoughts about that?
Is reckless droning a safety issue to you?
How might these incidents affect drone legislation?
I think it would be great to be able to have a smart discussion about this topic. It will come up over and over and over.
As drones get more advanced and can operate farther away for longer amounts of time, the more reckless opportunities will arise. I can forsee crazyness in terms of just how irresponsible people are going to be.

Any thoughts?

Flysafehavefun

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
That's a fact...human nature is the problem...
There is a constant percentage of idiots everywhere, so, if more and more people can access more and more easily to any activity , there will be more and more idiots doin this activity , and, logicaly, more and more problems due to the amounts of people who don't know regulations or just don't know how to leave together, respect other people....
So, after that, more and more restrictions will be applied , new laws will appear.......
It works for every activity... For example, I practice hike on skis since a while.. Equipment became easiest to access , to own and use, so more and more people come in mointains in the winter, ignoring safety rules or nature respect => more and more death due to avalanches ,more and more animals in danger...and more and more restrictions, in spite of people who care about all these "rules"and try to respect each other.....
It's always the same.... Human being is naturaly bad, poor..... ( sorry for my pessimism, but that's what I think...)

The human race were crapped already when Adam and Eve did the misstake in paradise.? Ever since the fall is endless.?

Reactions: G Lee
why have you used the word reckless so many times? do you realize you actually have to have a wreck for your actions to be called reckless? there have been no to few deaths and no to few serious property damages so the only thing getting hurt is people's feelings. 2,000+ near misses, is that what we are talking about? i'll take 10,000 near misses if there are never any collisions. am i waiting for the first collision to take action? drastic action: yes; reasonable action: no.

it's funny how you don't call driving a car reckless after there are thousands of deaths and a million+ injuries and billions of dollars in damages but instead of tending to car problems, everyone want to fight the reckless drones. i'm practically the only person in my area flying drones and i'm not a reckless flyer so who are you talking about?

whatever we are doing now let's keep doing it. if we can repeat this for the next 20 years, the citizens are better off. when you start seeing some sort of trend which contains factual numbers that point to a problem, we'll address it. in the meantime, there is no reckless flying going on. perhaps there is some careless flying but it's hardly that since the rules are designed to ensure safety and when all the rules get broken, everyone is still safe so that says alot about the "rules"....don't you think? love the rules but c'mon.

Rather than just asserting that drone flying is going to get more reckless, how about some facts to substantiate that?

The upcoming increase of reckless droning is only a speculation of mine, so yes, I have no facts on that.
There is a possibility that people will actually fly safer and safer and more respectfully as time goes on and as technology advances. It’s possible that as drones get less expensive, get more capable and get in more and more hands of teenagers, that at the same time reckless flying will decrease. It is absolutely a possibility, I won’t pretend I know the future. I’m just speculating based solely on what I know about life.
Just curious Meta, do you think recklessness will increase, decrease, stay the same, or do you not want to speculate without facts? No problem if you don’t want to speculate, but that’s all I’m looking for here- thoughts.

Reactions: FlyingGary
why have you used the word reckless so many times? do you realize you actually have to have a wreck for your actions to be called reckless? there have been no to few deaths and no to few serious property damages so the only thing getting hurt is people's feelings. 2,000+ near misses, is that what we are talking about? i'll take 10,000 near misses if there are never any collisions. am i waiting for the first collision to take action? drastic action: yes; reasonable action: no.

it's funny how you don't call driving a car reckless after there are thousands of deaths and a million+ injuries and billions of dollars in damages but instead of tending to car problems, everyone want to fight the reckless drones. i'm practically the only person in my area flying drones and i'm not a reckless flyer so who are you talking about?

whatever we are doing now let's keep doing it. if we can repeat this for the next 20 years, the citizens are better off. when you start seeing some sort of t rend which contains factual numbers that point to a problem, we'll address it. in the meantime, there is no reckless flying going on. perhaps there is some careless flying but it's hardly that since the rules are designed to ensure safety and when all the rules get broken, everyone is still safe so that says alot about the "rules"....don't you think? love the rules but c'mon.

Yeah ken I basically agree with you across the board. I don’t have a problem at all with the amount of recklessness right now because it is so unbelievably nonexistent in my life. Other than my own drone, I have only seen two drones flying in my entire life. As far as what I have experienced out in the world, droning basically doesn’t exist, so reckless droning is a non issue to me at this point. In 5 years from now when everything is much crazier, I bet I will feel personally put out by dronesa now and again and angreed at the occasional reckless drone activity, but reckless droning won’t ever scratch the surface compared to what a normal day of driving is like. had to deal with a road rage freak just today, so yeah, basically a large reason why I opened this thread was to make the comparison to the dangers of driving, but to at least allow people to explain how and why they feel recklessness affects them. If someone feels reckless droning is more of an issue than reckless driving, I want to hear it. I actually think there are people on here who feel that way. They sure express anger at other droners whofy in a way they don’t like as if they feel driving a car is far safer...
(I’m specifically using the word reckless as I recently read a post on here about a “reckless” drone flight and thought it would be a good topic to spearhead since it is bound to come up more and more frequently.)

Last edited:
I think that, with the increased numbers of people flying drones, there will be an increased number of people seeking for the limits of what they can do with the equipment. The big question is, as of what point you consider an action "reckless"?
Some people might consider it to be reckless to fly over a crowded beach with an altitude of 75 meters, other might consider it to be reckless if you do the same in an altitude of 5 meters.

If you are aware of your responsibility as the operator, you will not fly reckless. Contrary you will fly with due care and show your responsibility.

The problem comes up when people become careless. To me, there are two kinds of being careless.
The first ist being human, just a moment of "not watching" or being distracted (the girl passing in bikini is more interesting then your drone) or so. That might cause problems, but I think, it is forgiveable.
The second is a real problem and then careless becomes to me close to reckless. People who don't care about rules, think they always will be in control of the technical equipment and need that long distance shot for their own benifit (I can't see my Mavic Air when it is further then 250 to 300 meters away, can they?) and so forth. That is a problem and I am afraid, the rpoblems will increase with the increasing number of drones flying.

BUT it is parallel to cars, bikes, or other technical equipment: You always will have a percentage of people aplying for a Darwin Award, no rules or regulations will be able to stop them. Since stupidity is not forbidden, stronger, you even can realize the American Dream being as stupid as a rear end of a cow, there will be no protection for them.

Just curious Meta, do you think recklessness will increase, decrease, stay the same, or do you not want to speculate without facts?
I wouldn't venture a guess because I can't see anything to help either way.
A couple of things to consider include what constitutes reckless flying?
(one dictionary definition is: marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences)
What's the current level of reckless flying and how could you tell if there was an increase?

There is a growing number of idiots knowingly and accidentally violating laws and as drones get more and more popular its getting worse.
I personally know of several different places that had no drone policy or used to allow drone policy that have now moved to complete bans to use their words "due to the number of idiots".
Some of the people i know own and use drones yet in their "work" they've had to ban them because of people flying them like idiots.

A quick glance on youtube, the DJI forum or this forum will quickly yield people who (i) arent aware of and dont check the laws or (ii) know the laws and knowingly break them (See the Eiffel tower from above post just below this!).
There's a certain attitude of "i'll do what i want regardless". The drone community is the least grown up and mature ive ever seen. In most hobbys, self-policing works. But not here it seems.

There are 2 issues here - those flying recklessly (which pretty much everywhere is illegally) and those flying technically legally but in a manner which is going to cause disturbance and annoyance to other people.
The Eiffel Tower example from today fits into the reckless and illegal bracket for many obvious reasons. An example of the latter is someone hovering the thing over a quiet beach, wilderness area, buzzing close to people repeatedly, using it in a way wildlife are disturbed and so on.

The NATs guy got a lot of flack for branding users as Clueless, Careless and Criminal. Although he stole that phrase from the FAA he isnt far wrong - a large number of drone users do fit into 2 of those categories and you see it on a daily basis in popular areas and tourist areas.

Reckless flying is going to get more and more reckless and happen more and more often- what are your thoughts about that?
Is reckless droning a safety issue to you?
How might these incidents affect drone legislation?
I think it would be great to be able to have a smart discussion about this topic. It will come up over and over and over.
As drones get more advanced and can operate farther away for longer amounts of time, the more reckless opportunities will arise. I can forsee crazyness in terms of just how irresponsible people are going to be.

Any thoughts?

Flysafehavefun
Reckless flying and blatant disregard of the rules equals more regulation and more public hysteria. Unfortunately the reckless flyers seem to get all the coverage in the media. It also can put lives at serious risk.

So if you have not seen this video of a guy flying around a train, you really need to see this. Not sure I find it very dangerous, although he does fly directly over someone’s head about 3 seconds into the flight, which was unnecessary. I can see how this type of video could worry people about the need for stricter flight rules. I sure did not know that drones could be maneuvered like this, could fly like this with the right fingertips. I can definitely see how this would freak people out who thought most drones were like the one they bought last Christmas.
I think this flight is legal but I’m not sure. It’s by far the raddest drone flight I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: FASTFJR
It looks like another example of entitlement flying (at least if done in the USA). I'd never expect he'd do damage the train itself but there is no way he's within VLOS...at least I can't see how he would have been zippin around with a racing drone like that. I'm also not arguing whether or not that type of flying should or shouldn't be allowed. Only that most of us know the FAA rules and some still feel they have a right to do what they want. I think the video is a bit sped up but it's still some good flying. Got to give em that.

Yes of course this flight is illegal, wow, I completely forgot about that whole VLOS thing for a minute.
Pretty sure only the first few seconds are sped up and then the rest is all at normal speed.

So if you have not seen this video of a guy flying around a train, you really need to see this. Not sure I find it very dangerous, although he does fly directly over someone’s head about 3 seconds into the flight, which was unnecessary. I can see how this type of video could worry people about the need for stricter flight rules. I sure did not know that drones could be maneuvered like this, could fly like this with the right fingertips. I can definitely see how this would freak people out who thought most drones were like the one they bought last Christmas.
I think this flight is legal but I’m not sure. It’s by far the raddest drone flight I’ve ever seen.

Rotor Riot unlisted this video so really had to dig for it.

Reactions: Imagineimagery
I love this quote from the comments on the video:

- "yea nice, but let me see you land that thing on the train" lands on the train
- "hmm nice one, but he cant fly between the carriges" flys betwwen the carriges
- "wow but flying under would be impossible, no way he.... flyes under ...... okay im out"

That cracked me up and made my night LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jose Molina