DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regulations in South Africa

blaircm

Reactions
Hello - I've searched the forms and found some confusing links and information so I thought I'd start a new post. I am traveling to South Africa in September for pleasure. I have a DJI Mini 2. I know you cannot fly in Kruger Park (understandably) but I am also going to be in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Franschhoek. It doesn't seem like I need to register or take an evaluation, etc. but am wondering if anyone can help clarify this for me. Many thanks!

Reactions: dms_gyn
Hello - I've searched the forms and found some confusing links and information so I thought I'd start a new post. I am traveling to South Africa in September for pleasure. I have a DJI Mini 2. I know you cannot fly in Kruger Park (understandably) but I am also going to be in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Franschhoek. It doesn't seem like I need to register or take an evaluation, etc. but am wondering if anyone can help clarify this for me. Many thanks!
I'd recommend you contact the relevant authorities here for the latest updates.

"According to South Africa’s national aviation authority, the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) flying a drone is legal in South Africa, but we recommend being aware of and compliant with the drone regulations listed below before doing so."

If you’d like to contact SACAA directly before you travel with any questions you might have, here is their contact information: +27 011 545 1000 / [email protected]

Hi! Visited SA in March-April of this year. I was strongly advised against bringing my Mavic 3 by my travel adviser, as drones are generally frowned upon anywhere near where wild game may be found, park or no. It seems they are used primarily by poachers which are endemic, or by the game wardens, to catch poachers. When doubt exists in the eye of the respective beholder, they are typically shot down out of hand. If you choose to bring one, expect scrutiny.
Franschhoek might be ok as it’s wine and blueberry country. Some of the resorts do take a dim view of drones - perhaps check ahead?I can just see the Drakonbergs from a drone - beautiful views.
Johannesburg is so dangerous at the moment that just stopping your car at a light is quite risky and generally avoided. I trust you have a great guide who will advise you on how to navigate the risks there.

Reactions: beroe
Did you have any luck on this? Did you take your drone to South Africa? I've contacted the SCAA and they haven't really been that useful to be honest, so now I'm not sure if I can take my drone there or not?

I didn't have much luck either but took my drone anyway. The only place I flew was in the wine valley...but totally worth bringing. Good luck!
Thanks for the update. Did you need to fill out any paperwork or register the drone in South Africa? Any issues/delays at the airport with having the drone?

I had no paperwork and no issues. Flew into Johannesburg, went on to Victoria Falls and back to Cape Town. It was always in my carry-on and never questioned.

I had no paperwork and no issues. Flew into Johannesburg, went on to Victoria Falls and back to Cape Town. It was always in my carry-on and never questioned.
Great to know, thank you - That's such a relief! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1