DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID - Does the Air2 Already Have it?

Yes, and that was @DanMan32 's point. The Aircraft needs to broadcast the RC's location. However, the RC only knows its own location if a mobile device with a GPS is attached to it, so how would the Airfract get and broadcast the remote's location for non-GPS mobile devices?

I wonder if without that, it could be classified as a Remote "module" which only has to broadcast the takeoff point, but is limited to VLOS if, in the future, other RID implementations are not limited VLOS.
That's what I was thinking.
Of course taking off without a mobile device there's no RC location at all, but DJI already limits altitude/distance in that situation, which almost guarantees VLOS.
No technology can enforce VLOS, except maybe a brainwave monitor.

I could just see the app saying:
No GPS detected on mobile device. You must fly within VLOS to comply with government regulations. Agree?
Or instead of Agree:
Altitude and distance limited.

Reactions: Mr Mint
This is not entirely correct. As I noted, there are two types of Remote ID:

1 - What the FAA calls "Standard" what we consider as built-in. This one is required to broadcast the location of the controller form the aircraft

2 - A remote ID module -- meant to be an add-on module, and this will broadcast the take-off point (and not the controller point, since it won't have it). This one has the additional restriction that the aircraft remain in VLOS, even if further rules or waivers allow beyond VLOS.
You're right, I missed that part. They would allow the location to be passed by the phone or tablet (implied by paragraph 3 on page 114 of the Final Rule PDF).

Standard doesn't specify how the RC location is obtained, just that it is within 100ft 95% of the time.

But if the drone requires a permanent certification for type 1 that can't downgrade to type 2 under certain circumstances, then our quads can't qualify. I hope FAA will be reasonable here.

Standard doesn't specify how the RC location is obtained, just that it is within 100ft 95% of the time.

But if the drone requires a permanent certification for type 1 that can't downgrade to type 2 under certain circumstances, then our quads can't qualify. I hope FAA will be reasonable here.
So if you are using a phone or tablet with GPS, it would be able to relay the RC location to the drone, via the RC. That should be allowed.

I've read several posts where the commenter stated the MA2 already had RID embedded in the menu system of DJI Fly app. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have not found that on mine. It's relatively new, as opposed to both my M2 Pro and M2 Drones. It has the latest FW installed, but nowhere in the settings screen am I seeing anything remotely mentioning Remote ID. (Does the MA2 have to be connected and powered up for that to show?). I assumed I could just see with the SC turned on and the DJI Fly app settings screen open. Thanks

Maybe there would be an exemption for older drones that have the ability to do a firmware update to include them in the #2 remote ID module type rather than having to purchase an add on module?

I've read several posts where the commenter stated the MA2 already had RID embedded in the menu system of DJI Fly app. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have not found that on mine. It's relatively new, as opposed to both my M2 Pro and M2 Drones. It has the latest FW installed, but nowhere in the settings screen am I seeing anything remotely mentioning Remote ID. (Does the MA2 have to be connected and powered up for that to show?). I assumed I could just see with the SC turned on and the DJI Fly app settings screen open. Thanks
I was flying today and reviewing the app settings and saw this option. I could toggle it on. Whether than means the MA2 has RID, I do not know. But my assumption is that it does. Why let me toggle it on if using the RID isn't a possibility?

I was flying today and reviewing the app settings and saw this option. I could toggle it on. Whether than means the MA2 has RID, I do not know. But my assumption is that it does. Why let me toggle it on if using the RID isn't a possibility?

The current implementation of Remote ID for the DJI drones is to work with DJI's Aeroscope system. It is not (yet) compatible with the FAA's requirements.

Hello from the Crossroads of America MA2ORAm

What's the latest on this? Will the MA2 have the capability of a software-enabled RID? Thx.

Nope. Not yet anyway.

Here's the latest approved aircraft list from the FAA.

I hope DJI changes something by the deadline.

Don't really want to attach anything to my MA2 or purchase a new aircraft. Probably a MA2s since the MA2 stuff can be used on it.

I'm waiting too.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot