DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID on Private property?

Wow you yourself have been approached twice by angry drone haters of all the millions of drones out there you got tagged twice. So whats that saying. That the odds of getting approached are actually pretty good . I wish I was a mathematician. Take your 2 over ten years and then do the math for all the other millions in those 10 years and see the odds of having a problem. I would guess that any drone pilot that goes out and flys a few days a week and not just in his yard but out in the real world were other people are,would have a good chance of getting approached by a drone hater over say a 5 year period.Now with RID coming the real haters have a way of tracking you down. It will happen I guarantee it will.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
Wow you yourself have been approached twice by angry drone haters of all the millions of drones out there you got tagged twice. So whats that saying. That the odds of getting approached are actually pretty good . I wish I was a mathematician. Take your 2 over ten years and then do the math for all the other millions in those 10 years and see the odds of having a problem. I would guess that any drone pilot that goes out and flys a few days a week and not just in his yard but out in the real world were other people are,would have a good chance of getting approached by a drone hater over say a 5 year period.Now with RID coming the real haters have a way of tracking you down. It will happen I guarantee it will.
Im going to agree, getting approached twice by angry haters more than tip the scales of probability. It's like saying I've only been car jacked just once. I've never been approached by angry people but I have been approached about two dozen times, from kids (10) to inquisitive people who just stop and look (walking or driving) (15) and say nothing to police (3) plus adults just asking questions (5); approximately. None of these were conflicts. No telling how many people observed from afar or just keep going.

Just today, I'm FPV and hear car engine creeping and I swing the drone around to see a car nearby me as I sat on the curb in teh parking lot and as I'm bringing my drone back he's swinging around again and I hear him idle so I removed my goggles to see him just sitting in his car looking at me and as soon as I snatched off the goggles he drives away. This time I followed him (at a distance) with my drone to make sure he left the empty parking lot and didn't set up somewhere.

Any idea how many hundreds of hours of flight that is over a decade? Lol, and approached twice. Approached- not attacked.
I suffer from angry aggressive drivers on my daily commute at least that many times a week but that hasn't stopped me from driving.
If you are truly this worried about people finding you, sell your drone.

Any idea how many hundreds of hours of flight that is over a decade? Lol, and approached twice. Approached- not attacked.
I suffer from angry aggressive drivers on my daily commute at least that many times a week but that hasn't stopped me from driving.
I'm not worried I can protect myself but what about those that can't. I have a friend whose wheelchair bound . He drives to a park or some interesting place to fly and take photo's . He loves flying taking pictures and video but what if angry drone hater comes after him. He can't jump up and fight and I'm sure theres many pilots like him out there. So I'm sure they don't want RID broadcasting there location.
just stuff to think about.

There are millions of driver interactions every day so naturally many of those interactions will cause friction. When you fly your drone alone, technically there's no contact unless you count your drone and a bystander spotting it. We're saying simply seeing a drone is not suppose to result in anything whereas we know for sure road rage is a serious problem. But we put up with it because of all the people that get angry with me on the road (I'm sure that's 10s of thousands) basically none of them end up with a personal angry confrontation but quite a few end up with a distant angry confrontation which we accept. Drone pilots are having a hard time accept the conflict just as a personal swinging a golf club in the park or tossing the football in the park or snapping photos with your DSLR in the park flower garden.

I'm not worried about people finding me, I'm zero % worried about that. LOL

so your saying all these video's of drone hater encounters are fake , and just put up to get us to clic on fake material?
I think if you are that worried about it, you should give up the hobby of drones and find something else

Im going to agree, getting approached twice by angry haters more than tip the scales of probability. It's like saying I've only been car jacked just once. I've never been approached by angry people but I have been approached about two dozen times, from kids (10) to inquisitive people who just stop and look (walking or driving) (15) and say nothing to police (3) plus adults just asking questions (5); approximately. None of these were conflicts. No telling how many people observed from afar or just keep going.

Just today, I'm FPV and hear car engine creeping and I swing the drone around to see a car nearby me as I sat on the curb in teh parking lot and as I'm bringing my drone back he's swinging around again and I hear him idle so I removed my goggles to see him just sitting in his car looking at me and as soon as I snatched off the goggles he drives away. This time I followed him (at a distance) with my drone to make sure he left the empty parking lot and didn't set up somewhere.
Was he just curious about some dude wearing these weird goggles on his head? I mean they do look very odd and people are instantly curious about what I'm doing when we are flying FPV. I think 75% of the time when I fly with goggles I'm approached by curious people. Friendly curious people.
I often fly from Alki Beach in West Seattle and the waterfront in downtown Seattle - very public places - and I've only had positive interactions.
My first drone Karen was probably in 2014 - or 15 when I was flying one of the Phantoms in a rural meth infested Washington when some guy with 3 teeth pulled up and yelled at me before pulling away.
My 2nd Karen was 6 weeks or so ago when my own neighbor thought I was hovering over his house and threatened me. I laughed at him and He met the sheriff deputy a few minutes later.
Still not concerned about RID however.

Was he just curious about some dude wearing these weird goggles on his head? I mean they do look very odd and people are instantly curious about what I'm doing when we are flying FPV. I think 75% of the time when I fly with goggles I'm approached by curious people. Friendly curious people.
I often fly from Alki Beach in West Seattle and the waterfront in downtown Seattle - very public places - and I've only had positive interactions.
My first drone Karen was probably in 2014 - or 15 when I was flying one of the Phantoms in a rural meth infested Washington when some guy with 3 teeth pulled up and yelled at me before pulling away.
My 2nd Karen was 6 weeks or so ago when my own neighbor thought I was hovering over his house and threatened me. I laughed at him and He met the sheriff deputy a few minutes later.
Still not concerned about RID however.
Definitely this guy was curious. As I mentioned, I've never had a negative interaction and I consider these neutral especially when they leave and come back around and do a drive by. Pretty sure he wanted to say something but I bet he just decided against it or thought I was in the middle of something and didn't want to bother. Since I fly in the local parks and I'm very visible, I don't find these meetings to be strange. I would prefer someone just don't drive up on me and start asking questions but as always, you size up the situation and respond accordingly.

I'm not as concerned about RID with the civilians but more with RID in the hands of local leo. We'll see, I guess. My biggest concern is the recent revelation about flying history and the collection of data availability.

Just keep flying the drone you like and don't feel forced to comply, unless you are flying exposed, on crowded areas or in controlled airspace you are unlikely to have any trouble. Your drone is immune to RID, but vulnerable to Aeroscope.

The secret is just to never hover or fly slowly. If people see a drone do a fly by they'll just freak out a little and keep with what they are doing, if they see the drone hovering, that's when they freak out and call the police.

So don't hover in your backyard, takeoff from your backyard, rise to 120m, move the drone 300m away and start flying normally from there on; enjoy your drone, enjoy long range.

My thoughts are one day a law enforcement officer doesn't have to show up in person to issue a warning or a citation. Everything will be "automatically" issued thru the mail or one day email. It will be the repeats that get a visit which will more likely justify a warrant.
Rest easy on that one. The infrastructure necessary to automatically monitor RID would be massive, and just way too expensive to build. Would never ever be prioritized oin public budgets.

RID is just another tool for gathering evidence and making a case. Evidence that will only gathered by a human being using an RID receiver, likely an ordinary smartphone.

Personally IMO the concerns over RID are vastly overblown, and will have little to no real impact on our flying habits. abiggest impact, probably ONLY impact for most of us will be compliance.

As far as Karens are concerned, not worried about it. RID is going to cause a much bigger headache for LE than for drone pilots.

An upset Karen messing with me while I'm flying in compliance with the is the one breaking the law. If it ever happens to me, I won't hesitate to call 911 if they won't stop harassing me, and insist they be cited for interfering with a pilot during operations.

Now, truth is I've never had a bad Karen experience. Many friendly curious people, and I love to answer questions. I fly often in a limited are designated for RC use in a State Park, so always curious onlookers passing by. I'm very used to it 🙂

so your saying all these video's of drone hater encounters are fake , and just put up to get us to clic on fake material?
I'll say this: It was a nice day yesterday. Because it was Father's Day, the beach was packed. Probably a few thousand. I was flying over the authorized field in the coastal State Beach park, doing a Hyperlapse. Talk about a mission profile that sets off all the "that drone is spying on me" alarms.

Completed without incident. One guy with his family asked me if flying drones was fun, and what I was doing cause the drone was just sitting up there and I wasn't doing anything with the controls.

Explained the whole Hyperlapse thing to him, he thought that was the coolest thing ehhhvaaaahhhh, wished me luck and moved on.

That's how almost everyone is. I'd estimate the number of people there aware of RID was 1... me.

And I don't expect that to change much at all after September.

Reactions: okw and Torque
Not at all. I'm simply saying one clickbait video doesn't mean the entire non drone pilot world is plotting to attack drone pilots after they are able to access RID data. And why would they wait until RID data is available when they could have started their evil plot many years ago?

Spot on.

RID is available now and lots of drones are transmitting. A smartphone app is available. Those of you worried about citizen harassment and confrontation, how many incidents have there been? In the entire US?

Much ado about nothing here.

Well put.

In 10 years of flying drones, I've only been approached twice by angry people.
In the same time I haven't had ONE negative encounter. And I'm big into this, flying at least 3x a week.

I think you should watch this from Russ, I'm not the only one thinking RID will bring more trouble.

Watched until near the very beginning of the replayed video he said, "a lot of people hate drones".

At that point he lost all credibility with me. 100%.

By the only meaningful measure – portion of the general public – this is utterly false. A correct summary would be this: "A lot of people don't give a d a m n about drones. Tiny fraction despise them. Another tiny fraction think they're da bomb."

Watched until near the very beginning of the replayed video he said, "a lot of people hate drones".

At that point he lost all credibility with me. 100%.

By the only meaningful measure – portion of the general public – this is utterly false. A correct summary would be this: "A lot of people don't give a d a m n about drones. Tiny fraction despise them. Another tiny fraction think they're da bomb."
You should go ahead and watch the remainder of the video, what will it hurt? He may have exaggerated just a tiny fraction of a bit but the point is you can't pass all these laws (like they are trying in NYC) if only a tiny fraction of the city despises drones, can you? For the tiny fraction that love drones, the way we see it if you don't give a hoot about drones and you sit back and allow bad things to happen to drones, we see that as hating drones. If we stand by and watch Biden or Trump do bad things to our country and we say we don't care, how can you not call that hating our country? His point, our point is drones are under attack right now, especially DJI, and when asked about drones, most people who never even think about them end up supporting an adverse reaction. And when Congress votes, they cast a vote for everyone, not just a tiny fraction of their constituents. Right now it seems like a lot of people (Congress) are not fond of DJI...but the jury is out, I guess. The remainder of his video is very relevant. But it's a free country, you can watch...or not. No problem. :)

These YouTube videos are at a targeted audience and do not represent the norm. Overall, the general public won’t even be aware of RID or the very, very short distance an app will be able to identify or even be aware of the apps. How many times have you been approached since you’ve been flying a drone? I’ve been flying drones sine 2013, and only one person has approached me while flying.

Reactions: okw and Torque
These YouTube videos are at a targeted audience and do not represent the norm. Overall, the general public won’t even be aware of RID or the very, very short distance an app will be able to identify or even be aware of the apps. How many times have you been approached since you’ve been flying a drone? I’ve been flying drones sine 2013, and only one person has approached me while flying.
You are correct, most people don't know about RID. We are hoping to keep it that way after 2023.

I've been approached more than 20 times. But I fly mostly in the public (city) parks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs