DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted Airspace Question

TinajaEco

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I took the 3 Pro out to fly and film yesterday and was stymied by Restricted Airpace on the remote screen and couldn’t take off.
Things is I checked B4UFly, the DJI app and the LAANC app before I chose this area and all showed zero restrictions.
There were also no TFR’s for the area.

What’s the deal with that?

Not sure because sometimes DJI is out of sync so it might be helpful if you could point out the exact location if possible please.

What was the message you got?

If you get a message saying the Fly Safe database needs updating, be sure to do so.

Reactions: MA2 317

It’s in between the local airport and Arches NP, but everything I looked at showed that it was clear to fly.
It looks like DJI's Geo Zone Map may put that location in the blue approach/departure area of the airport and considers it an authorization zone. [EDIT: Yes, it appears that you were right on the edge of the DJI authorization zone.]

It's necessary to choose the US in the country pull down menu and scroll to the location.)

Screenshot 2023-12-15 142832.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SethB
It looks like DJI's Geo Zone Map may put that location in the blue approach/departure area of the airport and considers it an authorization zone. [EDIT: Yes, it appears that you were right on the edge of the DJI authorization zone.]

It's necessary to choose the US in the country pull down menu and scroll to the location.)

View attachment 171047
Thank you.

The DJI app appears to be signifcantly more restrictive then what the sectional chart shows.

IMG_0805.jpeg

Other then being aware of other aircraft, it’s class G air space all along 191 north of Moab. Class G up to 700’ inside magenta line and 1,200’ outside. Of course flying very close to CNY with monitoring radio traffic would be unwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: KBF and TinajaEco
The DJI app appears to be signifcantly more restrictive then what the sectional chart shows.

Other then being aware of other aircraft, it’s class G air space…
True that! DJI’s authorization zones are MUCH more conservative than airspace classifications, everywhere.

Many such restrictions can be dismissed in an on-screen dialog box. Some require DJI’s approval. Small headaches mostly, but when in a remote area without cell data service, or unable to get data to the controller, or perhaps is unaware of the process it can be a brick wall.

A best practice is to learn to apply for GeoZone unlocking from the comfort of one’s home or business, and learn the process to get that unlock onto the controller, then the drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinajaEco