DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Home

Doodle

Reactions
I think I know the answer to this already, but I'm going to ask it anyways.

If you're on a boat, and you take off from the boat. And your boat is not in the exact same spot as your took off from, and you use the Return To Home feature, will the Mavic go to the GPS coordinate that it took off from (whether there is water there or not)? Or does it 'know' where the controller is and goes towards the controller?

My answer/thought: I would think that Mavic thinks 'Home' is the GPS coordinate that it took off from.

Am I right?
Thanks

You are correct, it will return to where it took off from. You can change the home point from the app though. Swipe to the left and you'll bring up a menu that allows you to set the current location of your RC or the drone as it's new home point.

You can change the home point from the app though. Swipe to the left and you'll bring up a menu that allows you to set the current location of your RC or the drone as it's new home point.

So if I took off from Point A, and I'm flying (doing some video/pictures of the boat and people fishing), and the boat is now 2km from Point A, I just have to bring up the menu, and change 'Home' to the current location of the controller, and then press RTH, and it'll come where I am?
That's pretty f'n cool.
I can't wait for my Mavic to get here. Supposed to be here by end of day wed.

So if I took off from Point A, and I'm flying (doing some video/pictures of the boat and people fishing), and the boat is now 2km from Point A, I just have to bring up the menu, and change 'Home' to the current location of the controller, and then press RTH, and it'll come where I am?
That's pretty f'n cool.
I can't wait for my Mavic to get here. Supposed to be here by end of day wed.

Correct :)

It will use the GPS coordinates of your phone to set the new RTH point so I'd give it an accuracy of within a few meters of your current location. This should be enough to then manually land at your new location.

I should also mention that you will need to keep in mind your current distance from the drone and your battery level to make sure the drone can make it back to you safely.

Yes, that is correct as it will use GPS from the mobile device connected to your remote controller to detect your location. Saying that, this will not work if your are using device without GPS. e.g.: iPad Mini 2/3/4 WiFi only (non-cellular).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000