DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rookie Stuff

Hudsonguy

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As a rookie pilot, frankly Rookie Youtuber (probably not an actual word) I am impressed with the enormous effort and energy that goes into the production of instructional videos for the Mavic 2 and Mavic Zoom.

In my first attempt to familiarize myself with my new drone I tried to buckle down with the manual. Big Mistake!! In some circles I am held in perhaps high regard when it comes to cranking out a a better than decent paper airplane. Sadly, I’d been resting on my laurels and I’ve been eclipsed, eclipsed in one case by a 10 yo who is no rocket scientist, but is a visual learner andnimble with an iPad.

I found just sitting drone in hand for a couple of introductory videos allowed me to get my head around images, the technology, even the fact that the thing hovers in position based on a ridiculous number satellites and an equally ridiculous number of cameras that utilize a sizeable spectrum of light. Shoot when the natural light is insufficient it’s own light pops on. At night those LEDs are like a police chopper.

Anyway, once I got my head around the capabilities of this thing , I was then able focus on the super important flight stuff. Thoughts?

After a zillion hours on the sticks this could be as cool as ........ brain surgery.

Howdy from Wyoming @Hudsonguy , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.40805

practice, practice.( not indoors, outside in open space)

Welcome to the forum! :)

I too am new to all of this...i have a Mavic Pro and i live in NYC...All of my flying is within NYC limits...My flying is limited to a football field in a City park that has a track around it...during the week there is no activity other than people jogging on the track and this is where i fly...I often fly the drone very high with a unique view from a high altitude (400 + ft.) overlooking my neighborhood and beyond...I just read of a Mavic being flown over the ocean from a beach...the pilot mentioned that contact was lost with his drone and it eventually wound up in the sea...I am now worried about using my Mavic...IF contact was lost as i was doing what i normally do,someone could be killed if it fell and hit someone..(AND,i would not know what happened)...How often does this FLY AWAY situation happen ? I have flown a dozen or more times and each flight was flawless in every way.The RETURN TO HOME works perfectly and i am happy with everything about the Mavic,BUT...i don't want to hurt anyone..any thoughts.? I thank the community in advance for any feedback...Martin...(Swings16)

Can the Mavic Pro be flown at night ? I have been wondering...It has LIGHTS...it navigates (landing and take off) with assistance by GPS..(.obstacle avoidance ? ) not sure about that,BUT it seems that it can be flown in the dark..any observations or info on this ? Thank You..i am new to ALL of this

I too am new to all of this...i have a Mavic Pro and i live in NYC...All of my flying is within NYC limits...My flying is limited to a football field in a City park that has a track around it...during the week there is no activity other than people jogging on the track and this is where i fly...I often fly the drone very high with a unique view from a high altitude (400 + ft.) overlooking my neighborhood and beyond...I just read of a Mavic being flown over the ocean from a beach...the pilot mentioned that contact was lost with his drone and it eventually wound up in the sea...I am now worried about using my Mavic...IF contact was lost as i was doing what i normally do,someone could be killed if it fell and hit someone..(AND,i would not know what happened)...How often does this FLY AWAY situation happen ? I have flown a dozen or more times and each flight was flawless in every way.The RETURN TO HOME works perfectly and i am happy with everything about the Mavic,BUT...i don't want to hurt anyone..any thoughts.? I thank the community in advance for any feedback...Martin...(Swings16)
if contact is lost RTH will kick in (check your return home settings)
"fly aways at sea are most normally due to high winds stopping it from returning, the farther you fly away with the wind the harder it is to return against the wind.

Reactions: swings16
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic 2, Fly safe and have fun!

"fly aways at sea are most normally due to high winds stopping it from returning, the farther you fly away with the wind the harder it is to return against the wind.
I rely on RTH...i use it every time i fly...
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic 2, Fly safe and have fun!

Thank you and i am sure that with all the info available here and on the net i will learn to use the Mavic Pro and be familiar with all that is within this device...i am HOOKED !

Thank you...i of course would not be happy losing the Mavic pro but my main concern is a fly away in a populated area where people could be injured IF it "flew away"...NYC is not the place for flying but it is my only option...i try to keep it in a way that i can eyeball it at all times...a have a huge park near me but there are HUGE TREES everywhere...Thanks for your feedback..Martin

I rely on RTH...i use it every time i fly...it is the most valuable part of the system...Every time i use it i smile as i suddenly see my Mavic Pro appear HIGH up in the sky,hovering and then slowly coming down to land (softly) in the EXACT spot of initial launch..AMAZING and Love it

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob

I rely on RTH...i use it every time i fly...it is the most valuable part of the system...Every time i use it i smile as i suddenly see my Mavic Pro appear HIGH up in the sky,hovering and then slowly coming down to land (softly) in the EXACT spot of initial launch..AMAZING and Love it
Welcome to the forum ... One piece of advice for you is - strange as it may sound - NOT to rely on your RTH! If you make it a habit to regularly manually fly home, you'll be making sure that you keep situational awareness of where the drone is and what it's doing - and just as important, you'll be equipped to deal with the situation you may find yourself in where for some reason either RTH is not working as it should, or you have to cancel RTH and get out of the way of something (e.g. approaching helicopter!). You do hold responsibility for the 'FLYING' of the drone, so it's a good idea to keep in touch with how to do just that ... Fly safe and have fun ...

Sadly, I’d been resting on my laurels and I’ve been eclipsed, eclipsed in one case by a 10 yo who is no rocket scientist, but is a visual learner andnimble with an iPad.

Dont be humbled by these kids. They are growing up in a tech savvy world and are fearless.

I rely on RTH...i use it every time i fly...

I like RTH as well. I dont rely on RTH, but I use it every time I test fly a drone. Better to have it and test it every so often, so you know your settings are working in case of an emergency or other contingency.

When I was flying RC planes and helicopters, we didnt have RTH. The only thing I had was "RTG" (return to ground) that was induced by gravity, That worked every time, but the ground that the little pieces could be found was sometimes a mile away. lol

Dont be humbled by these kids. They are growing up in a tech savvy world and are fearless.

I like RTH as well. I dont rely on RTH, but I use it every time I test fly a drone. Better to have it and test it every so often, so you know your settings are working in case of an emergency or other contingency.

When I was flying RC planes and helicopters, we didnt have RTH. The only thing I had was "RTG" (return to ground) that was induced by gravity, That worked every time, but the ground that the little pieces could be found was sometimes a mile away. lol

I hear you but i see RTH as security until (if and when)i can get more knowledgeable about all the aspects of ALL within these very well made machines...another thing...The Speed...What is the top speed of these ?..it seems to me (when i fly them low and i see and feel them pass me that they are going at 30 + mph...is that possible ?

You should practice flying home from wherever using the information on your screen. You will benefit in the long run.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ADK Dragonfly