DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"RTH fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route" straight flight or actual path?

Skyryder

Reactions
So hypothetically, if I flew behind a tall building, lost signal, and maybe only 20m away, it's smart enough to not just backup straight into the building? Will it actually retrace it's exact path around the building before it ascends into RTH?

So hypothetically, if I flew behind a tall building, lost signal, and maybe only 20m away, it's smart enough to not just backup straight into the building? Will it actually retrace it's exact path around the building before it ascends into RTH?
If the drone is flying along and suddenly loses signal, it's a pretty safe bet that if the drone retraces its path exactly, that it should regain signal fairly easily.
If it does regain signal, there is no RTH as you are in control again.

Check the RTH section of the manual for your model to get the fine details of how this works.

Reactions: Yaros
Depending on the drone model they have different behaviors. Check this video that I did for the Mavic Air 2S.

Reactions: Faster
This is the sort of question that is best answered by a DIY experiment.
In a safe place, fly a distinctive "last whatever is relevant to the drone", then switch the controller off and watch what the drone does.
"Whatever" because the behaviours vary from model to model or DJI are themselves experimenting to see what is thought of each type of behaviour.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
I can assure you the Mavic 3 will have no problem coming back home.
Check this video, I tested what you are asking but with the Mavic 3.

Reactions: Faster
Did you ever get that wonky reflection/squiggly line worked out with DJI?
I end up cleaning with alcohol the clear filter (what I do not recommend) and clearing up the reflection since after the test without the clear filter the reflection went away.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Ahhh but if signal is lost the recording of data in the logs will be interrupted, so the retrace path is unlikely to be recorded faithfully. This might not be a problem if we could read the data from the DAT on the drone but......alas.....

Ahhh but if signal is lost the recording of data will be interrupted, so the retrace path is unlikely to be recorded faithfully.
The drone has its own flying data files inside the drone and the flying logs from the application are another set.

The drone does not need the data from the device attached to the remote controller. Will use the onboard reference.

But wasn't "mobilehomer" referring to the plot of the flight path on a map?
That was my understanding. If correct then if the flight path during the disconnection could be plotted it should, where applicable, and to a certain extent, look like a reflection 'about' the disconnection point.

But wasn't "mobilehomer" referring to the plot of the flight path on a map?
That was my understanding. If correct then if the flight path during the disconnection could be plotted it should, where applicable, and to a certain extent, look like a reflection 'about' the disconnection point.
No. In a different thread he was asking about the squiggly flare in the video. I noticed it was there in this video and just wanted to know if he had cleared it up.

Yes, I understand how RTH works, but my question was about what it says in the manual. On a Mini 2 it says when there is a signal loss it it flys backwards 50m on it's original flight route BEFORE it starts RTH. How could I test this without an actual obstacles that it might back into? If I just hit RTH it will skip that backup step and fly a straight line home.

Maybe fly in a circle and power off the controller and see if flys backwards in a circle before RTH actually kicks in?

Yes, I understand how RTH works, but my question was about what it says in the manual. On a Mini 2 it says when there is a signal loss it it flys backwards 50m on it's original flight route BEFORE it starts RTH. How could I test this without an actual obstacles that it might back into? If I just hit RTH it will skip that backup step and fly a straight line home.

Maybe fly in a circle and power off the controller and see if flys backwards in a circle before RTH actually kicks in?
Look at post #3 in this same thread, test is with the Air 2S but it applies to Mini 2.

RTH is not the same behavior as FailSafe. When RTH after 50 Meters in the Air 2S will just go up to the desired RTH altitude and come back when the drone goes in FailSafe after 50 Meters will go back 50 meters from the original trajectory and if you can not reconnect then goes up to the RTH desired altitude and go back home.

The Idea of FailSafe going back is trying to reconnect to the remote control and if is not able to do it then keep going home.

Look at post #3 in this same thread, test is with the Air 2S but it applies to Mini 2.
That does not answer my question. If you watch the video he demonstrates fail safe, but since he flew straight out, when the fail safe kicked in, it's not clear weather that 50m is retracing it's steps or just doing a straight shot because the path it was on was also a straight shot. Plus the Air 2s is more sophisticated with precision landing, cant assume it's the same.

That does not answer my question.
It looks like all the bases have been covered in the answers and the Failsafe section of the manuals explain the process in detail.
What was your question?

Mini 2
Failsafe RTH
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than 11 seconds.
When the firmware is updated to v1.1.0.0 and above, the aircraft will fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route and ascend to the preset RTH altitude to enter Straight Line RTH.
The aircraft enters Straight Line RTH if the remote controller signal is restored during Failsafe RTH.
When the aircraft flies backwards along the original flight path and the distance from the Home Point is less than 20 m, the aircraft stops flying backward on the original flight route and enters Straight Line RTH at the current altitude.

Air 2S
Failsafe RTH
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than 6 seconds.
The aircraft will fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route, and then enter Straight Line RTH.
If the aircraft is less than 50 m from the Home Point when the video signal is lost, it flies to the Home Point at the current altitude.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52