DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH upon losing signal

motopokep

Reactions
Flew far out, lost signal, tried to get it up higher for better signal, no luck. DJI app then asked me to swipe to return home. My questions: I thought RTH was supposed to be automatic upon losing signal for so long (I have it set to RTH upon losing signal), so why would it bring up a menu for me to swipe? I'm worried that if my RC were to fail, like maybe lose power, or crash, then I'll lose my Mavic if it doesn't automatically return home. And lastly, if it lost signal with the RC, how is the DJI app able to deliver the signal to RTH upon my swipe?

Aside from this, Mavic is amazing. Had the first low wind day yesterday, I put on 4-5 miles, reception out in the open field is great, but in residential areas with 2 story buildings, it is limited to about 3/4 of a mile, unless you go higher than 400 ft, which is risky with all the small planes and helis flying around.

Reactions: Ryan.
This confused me for a while as well. When the app asks you to swipe and RTH you still have connection to the drone but the signal is weak. I think also because you lost video feed. If you don't swipe you can still continue flying.
When you lose total signal there will be no options asked. The RC screen will say No Signal or Connecting. When this happens then it will RTH on its own. You don't have to do anything.

Your other question- I think the drone itself would be programmed to RTH when it losses signal with the RC. The RC does not give it a signal to RTH.

Can be programmed to either hover or RTH upon loss of signal between RC and MP

I thought RTH was supposed to be automatic upon losing signal for so long (I have it set to RTH upon losing signal), so why would it bring up a menu for me to swipe?
RTH is automatically initiated 3 seconds after the remote controller signal (the uplink) is lost. RTH is not initiated if only the video signal (the downlink) is lost.

if it lost signal with the RC, how is the DJI app able to deliver the signal to RTH upon my swipe?
You will not be able to manually initiate RTH at that point. That's not a problem though since the Mavic will automatically initiate RTH 3 seconds have the remote controller signal is lost.

Reactions: tracer bullet
Flew far out, lost signal, tried to get it up higher for better signal, no luck. DJI app then asked me to swipe to return home. My questions: I thought RTH was supposed to be automatic upon losing signal for so long (I have it set to RTH upon losing signal), so why would it bring up a menu for me to swipe? I'm worried that if my RC were to fail, like maybe lose power, or crash, then I'll lose my Mavic if it doesn't automatically return home. And lastly, if it lost signal with the RC, how is the DJI app able to deliver the signal to RTH upon my swipe?

Aside from this, Mavic is amazing. Had the first low wind day yesterday, I put on 4-5 miles, reception out in the open field is great, but in residential areas with 2 story buildings, it is limited to about 3/4 of a mile, unless you go higher than 400 ft, which is risky with all the small planes and helis flying around.

I have had "lost signal" two times, due to terrain and houses between my and my Mavic, both times I was using Litchi, I hit return to home, the Mavic continued to fly the pre-planned mission until it got into range, then received the RTH signal, making a straight line flight back to me and landing exactly where I launched it from. The first time I was afraid I lost it, the second time I wasn't as concerned. I've never had any issues with Litchi. The DJI Go4 app seems to have some glitches, I haven't found any with Litchi.

I have had "lost signal" two times, due to terrain and houses between my and my Mavic, both times I was using Litchi, I hit return to home, the Mavic continued to fly the pre-planned mission until it got into range, then received the RTH signal, making a straight line flight back to me and landing exactly where I launched it from. The first time I was afraid I lost it, the second time I wasn't as concerned. I've never had any issues with Litchi. The DJI Go4 app seems to have some glitches, I haven't found any with Litchi.
I don't think a Mavic can fly a preprogrammed route if it is truly disconnected from the RC. It either hovers or goes into its own RTH by going to the preprogrammed altitude, then back to home GPS coordinates - assuming it recorded your home point and that gps is still working.

Maybe I should clarity. You can initiate RTH yourself with the app or with the button on the RC. If Mavic isn't talking to the RC it will try to initiate RTH or hover on its own, as mentioned after three seconds of disconnect. I have not yet seen the app come up with the RTH slider without pushing the button.

I don't think a Mavic can fly a preprogrammed route if it is truly disconnected from the RC. It either hovers or goes into its own RTH by going to the preprogrammed altitude, then back to home GPS coordinates - assuming it recorded your home point and that gps is still working.

That's not correct if you are using Litchi - it will continue the autonomous mission even if it completely loses connection (uplink and downlink).

Reactions: Dragonfly
With Litchi, Drone Deploy, Drone Harmony, all mission waypoints are uploaded to the Mavic before start of mission so once mission is initiated Mavic will continue and complete the mission even if the RC is turned off.

Reactions: hryzec and Niblett
With Litchi, Drone Deploy, Drone Harmony, all mission waypoints are uploaded to the Mavic before start of mission so once mission is initiated Mavic will continue and complete the mission even if the RC is turned off.
Applies to UGCS indeed. Three options on waypoint missions pn RC connection lost - RTH, hover, continue.

Has anyone had issues with the Mavic not RTH after lost connection. I keep hearing issues with this and it’s quite unnerving. Don’t want to even attempt waypoint missions anymore.

Maybe I should clarity. You can initiate RTH yourself with the app or with the button on the RC. If Mavic isn't talking to the RC it will try to initiate RTH or hover on its own, as mentioned after three seconds of disconnect. I have not yet seen the app come up with the RTH slider without pushing the button.
Hi sorry for piggy backing on this. I just got my mavic and flew it on beginner mode for the first time. At one stage i lost RC signal about 10 m from me and it kept flying straigt past me into some plants.
1.Why would my controler lose signal that close?
2. Does your device you use play n role in this?
3.Is it possible to set the drone to hover when signal is lost and after a while will the drone return to home when connection can not be restored?

Hi sorry for piggy backing on this. I just got my mavic and flew it on beginner mode for the first time. At one stage i lost RC signal about 10 m from me and it kept flying straigt past me into some plants.
1.Why would my controler lose signal that close?
2. Does your device you use play n role in this?
3.Is it possible to set the drone to hover when signal is lost and after a while will the drone return to home when connection can not be restored?
You should start a new thread on this and include type of craft and display device used. You may be requested to upload data files so an analysis can be performed.

Has anyone had issues with the Mavic not RTH after lost connection. I keep hearing issues with this and it’s quite unnerving. Don’t want to even attempt waypoint missions anymore.
As mentioned previously it's intended for waypoint missions to continue on signal loss by default. Just make sure you set RTH options the way you want them, both for missions and normal flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02