DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safe Battery Charging Plan

chezedog

Reactions
So I've been reading posts here and elsewhere about charging batteries properly, and have decided to store the aircraft indoors (with the batteries in li-po bags), but charge the batteries outside. My idea is to get a metal tool box and charge the batteries within. I'll get a fire extinguisher while I'm at it.

But I thought I'd run this plan by the experts here before I make a Home depot run...

Don't forget, protective clothing, goggles and gloves too. :)
Seriously I don't think you need to be over careful, just sensible. I charge indoors, when they need charging or when I am about to fly and have never had any issues. I look at them to make sure there is no swelling or tell tale signs of damage but apart from that just charge and go.

Don't overthink it. DJI's batteries are safe and haven't been bursting into flame.

What about the bunker to keep the metal box containing the lipo bag which contain the batteries within?

We could look at the million or so charges of DJI batteries. How many issues have you read about with them?

Avoid charging the batteries immediately after using them as they might be warm. Just wait until they reach the room's temperature and you are good to charge them again.
Use a power hub to charge up to 4 batteries, the hub will stop charging the battery when it's done.

Avoid charging the batteries immediately after using them as they might be warm. Just wait until they reach the room's temperature and you are good to charge them again.
Use a power hub to charge up to 4 batteries, the hub will stop charging the battery when it's done.
Also, DJI batteries won't charge when they are too warm.

Mock me if you will, but I see no downside to a little caution. Propane tanks for example hardly ever explode, but my neighbor's did and his house burned down. So I keep my grill a prudent distance from the house. Even if such precautions are deemed unnecessary by some, the resulting peace of mind is worth it. It ain't that hard to charge batteries outside, after all.

Mock me if you will, but I see no downside to a little caution. Propane tanks for example hardly ever explode, but my neighbor's did and his house burned down. So I keep my grill a prudent distance from the house. Even if such precautions are deemed unnecessary by some, the resulting peace of mind is worth it. It ain't that hard to charge batteries outside, after all.
So why mention any of it anyway and also ask ‘the experts’ for their opinions? When they gave their valid friendly opinion you feel mocked !
Send us pics when it falls from the sky in a fireball :rolleyes: (kidding) and dont tell your neighbour you’ll be charging lipos outside, ;)

Reactions: Kilrah
I guess I'll have to explain. My first post was a genuine call for opinions. My second was an attempt at humor, similar to the responses I got. I have a co-worker who will suddenly exclaim,"Why do you mock me?" -which I find funny, I guess it doesn't work so well in text. Also incuded a bit of explaining as to why I wish to proceed as indicated. Anyway, I do find the advice given here valuable, and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

That said, in case anyone's interested, I set up an old weber charcoal grill in which to charge batteries. It was designed to have fire inside, and no Home Depot run was required!

Last edited:
To each his own,
If it makes you feel safer to charge them outside in a bbq you are one step ahead of those who are not if they DO catch on fire, whereas most of us would burn towels, wreck pottery, burn off some skin and peeve the half that is always correct off and THEN decide go maybe get an old bbq to put them in just so we can claim wisdom thru experience.
On the other hand (the one that's not burned) the chances of them NOT starting a fire or worse, are equally feasable.

The difference arrived at would favor you with peace of mind, a non stinky home AND wisdom.... What you were looking for in the first place, all's well that ends well. PJ.

Not sure about charging batteries out doors. Wind, dust, rain, sun, etc. And the probability of forgetting it after 1 hr, and it ends up outside overnight plugged in. Btw, the batts might explode or catch fire at >70C. And I don't particular like the idea of charging batteries, placed on metal.
Maybe charge at home, on a ceramic plate, on a tile floor, located under a fire alarm?

Nobody was mocking you, just some friendly advice. Certainly wasn't meant in a mocking way.
As stated above, I'm aware of that, and the mocking comment too, was offered in jest.

Wind, dust, rain, sun, etc.
There's no wind, dust, rain, sun. etc. inside the enclosure.
And the probability of forgetting it after 1 hr, and it ends up outside overnight plugged in.
I was told early on to charge batteries right before you fly, so not much chance of that.
ceramic plate, on a tile floor.
Interesting. I might have an old cinderblock paver around somewhere...

What about the bunker to keep the metal box containing the lipo bag which contain the batteries within?

We could look at the million or so charges of DJI batteries. How many issues have you read about with them?
I've been looking for a closed down bank with a safe still inside would work fine for charging and storage

All in all,
I have always been present when charging batteries, I charge everything and anything on my desk (yup, an ordinairy old wooden house kitchen and garden desk.)
My living space is an open concept log deal so other than going peepee, poopoo, or to sleep in the respective rooms, I am naturally present for that op.
I charge my batts on a 1/2" Asbestos type (I did say type!) fire proof tile of about a foot and a half square, but honestly never had even one issue with any battery.
I did find a good use for the bbq tho, they really do a nice job on cooking or smoking most meats!
Sorry, just had to :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111