DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scratching my head a bit...

Dr Dave

Reactions
Hey folks,

Looking for some help here. I ran some video last night on a flight and it seemed really choppy - I'm a noob, have been focusing on flight more than video, but that caught my eye today.

So, now I begin to delve into the camera. It's my understanding that a good setting for video is 30 fps, which suggests shutter speed at 1/60.

What I don't understand is, does the Mavic have a variable aperture? The specs per DJI say that it's an F/2.2 lens, but I can't find anything about variable aperture or damping.

There is a rule that states at f/16, shutter speed = 1/iso with normal daylight. With an f/2.2 lens with shutter speed @ 1/60 - if that's a fixed aperture, then iso has to drop 5 stops...unless there's some software attenuation...or use an ND filter.

Am I overthinking this?

Anybody have clarification on this?

David

Last edited:
no mavic does not have variable aperture, only one way to limit amount of light entering the matrix is to have ND filters.
I am always using ND filters combined with polaroid, CPL, ND8&CPL and ND16&CPL should cover your needs. Sometimes for very bright footage (e.g. sunny day on snow
) you might need ND 32 but ND16 will also work.

Yep, get a set of ND filters. I use these... DJI Mavic Filters - Cinema Series - Vivid Collection. Then you can set the shutter to 1/60 and get pretty buttery footage.
Not sure where this 1/60 to be double frame rate of 30 comes from... never had a probl with creating incredable 'buttery' footage, perfect slow motion etc with ANY speed/shutter seting. Can you point me to a link so I can understand why people are concerened about this equation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki