DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seagull Drone Attack Prevention

PressMan

Reactions
Hello from Ireland,
Do any of you have any resolution regarding Seagull Drone Attack Prevention, please?

I Am wondering would one of those Drone Flashing Lights placed on top of the Drone do the job?
Do you have experience of my dilemma?

Thank You,
Sláin

Last edited by a moderator:
I have plenty of experience , and we have found there is no magic bullet or color or light that really helps.

You have to rely on VLOS and you dont want to come across as an injured bird in the sky as they love to attack from behind , Your best defense is a vertical straight up engagement , followed by some crazy ivans and VLOS is a must.

I have been working on a whistle that would attach , but have no idea how effective it will be yet.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I had the local eagle circle in, when I went up to get a view of my roof, and I have strobe. I put the drone down on the flat of the roof. Not sure there is anything that will work well.

Seagulls don't like it when you fly higher then them. Makes them nervous. Thinking they are the hunted now. So go up above them. Eagles and hawks your best to stay on the ground as you will not win that battle. Crows are the worst. They protect family and will do a barrel roll at your UAV if it stays hovering for to long trying to clip it with their wings to knock you out of the sky. Had that happen a few times. I got lucky and they missed but not by much. Again they hate it when you fly higher then them.

Do any of you have any resolution regarding Seagull Drone Attach Prevention, please?
Drone Attached Seagull Prevention (DASP) ...be good name for it! :)

I have no experience with Seagulls or Raptors directly attacking, just curious buzzards or a swarm of upset martins.

Phantomrain gave you a good answer and from what I've read over the years, unfortunately that's the case. In my Phantom days, I wanted some of those Mean Eyes stickers to put on front but never did.

I dont know what kind they are but there are some large birds in the area I have to watch out for. When they are circling and see my drone they fly back and forth to check it out. The only option I have used so far is sport mode and head home. No real attack yet but I have read enough stories to not take a chance.

In Eire, crows, magpies, ducks, oyster catchers, and seagulls in general.
My mavic mini has also been buzzed by some of the Swift family but I don't know if it was aggression or taking advantage of the draught sucking in insects.
Up as fast as you can go is the recommended evasive action and then try to get away.
If you are having persistant problems in one location "call it a day" there and move elsewhere, aside from risking the drone there is the possibility of injuring the bird.
I have had one buzzard make one pass at a Phantom and that was enough of a warning for me, I brought it 'home' and used a DLSR.

Crows and hawks in my area of New Mexico. When I fly I have to keep a watch out to see them coming. Both will usually fly over the drone to check it out. When I see them I descend quickly and hover close to the ground to give them a chance to lose interest and fly away. They never follow it down, at least so far.

Like I said in my post #4 going higher is your best bet with any bird except eagles and hawks.
Learn from the eagle
“The only bird that dares to peck an eagle is the crow. The crow sits on the eagles back and bites his neck. The eagle does not respond, nor fight with the crow; it does not spend time or energy on the crow instead he just opens its wings and begins to rise higher in the heavens. The higher the flight, the harder it is for the crow to breathe and eventually the crow falls off due to a lack of oxygen.
Learn from the eagle and don't fight the crows, just keep ascending. They might be along for the ride but they'll soon fall off. Do not allow yourself to succumb to the distractions....keep your focus on the things above and continue rising!!”

I have found many birds curious, but crows come the closet to me. I put my strobes on, two white in the back, a white on the bottom, and red and green in front with all flashing. The crows do not come nearly as close anymore.

I have commercial film drone pilots in Vancouver who often ask the police if they can shoot a shotgun off just prior to taking off. This keeps the gulls away for 15-20 minutes. I know this is not a practicle solution for 99% of you just throwing it out there.
Yup that works for me LOL
Yosemite_Sam_%28artwork%29.png

I have commercial film drone pilots in Vancouver who often ask the police if they can shoot a shotgun off just prior to taking off. This keeps the gulls away for 15-20 minutes. I know this is not a practicle solution for 99% of you just throwing it out there.
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to fly my drone from jail.

I have plenty of experience , and we have found there is no magic bullet or color or light that really helps.

You have to rely on VLOS and you dont want to come across as an injured bird in the sky as they love to attack from behind , Your best defense is a vertical straight up engagement , followed by some crazy ivans and VLOS is a must.

I have been working on a whistle that would attach , but have no idea how effective it will be yet.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Instead of a whistle, maybe a loud pop like from a gun would be more effective and even easier to implement since all it would take is a pulse instead of an oscillator ... although an oscilator with lots of harmonics (square wave) isn't difficult either. It could be activated via the downward LED just like the release mechanisms use. Not sure how loud a noise you can get from a piezoelectric speaker, but it might be worth a try.

No experience with birds.....yet (fingers-crossed) - but I have been thinking about it. Not being a bird and not knowing how they think - I'm guessing since most of our drones are roughly the same size as them, they perceive a threat causing the "protection of the flock" mode. (If a helicopter flew in, they'd scatter because it's way bigger) They don't have the cognitive capabilities to conclude 'Oh, it's a drone, nevermind!' They don't care that the ruling aviation authority says we can fly there - it's their sky near their home.
In reading several of these threads, we can try to be prepared as best we can. Until we can have some type of sound device to wave them off, we will need to share the air as best we can.

Firecrackers, bottle rockets, etc. I'm gonna have to add some fireworks to my drone kit for sure. watch this one from about halfway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23