DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should i be filming in 4K or not?

Last year I changed from Parrot Bebop2 to Mavic Pro - and guess what: because of this ugly Jello Effect the Bebop2 is producing, especially when pointing the camera down!! O.K. the Jello Effect might be minimal, and I guess only few people will spot this in my Bebop2 videos, but as soon as you recognise something is wrong, you will discover the smallest issue in your footage: your brain wouldn't let you simply enjoy the video without looking for the failures you are aware of..

Now with the Mavic Pro, I started to film only in 4K, and never ever have seen any Jello Effect, even without ND filters (never tried filters so far, still on my list as soon as the weather gets better here in Europe). And as you can imagine: from my Bebop2 experience, my eyes will detect the slightest Jello in Videos, but so far - keep fingers crossed - it never appeared again. So I am wondering why you have Jello Effect when filming without filters?

Back to the topic of the thread: as stated before, I only film in 4K (maybe in the near future every monitor will be 4K??), and on my MacBook Retina (2016, M7, 512 SSD) 4K movies run smooth without any hickups. Recently I also tried color grading on it with Davinci Resolve, no issue. Maybe the final rendering takes longer, as the MacBook has less power than a MacBook Pro, but after start the rendering process, I normally leave my room - time to grab a coffee :)

Only "issue" I have: watching the video on my old 1080p Full HD monitor, the footage doesn't look as bright as on the Retina Display of the MacBook, and the moire and aliasing effects the Mavic is bothering us with from time to time will be more visible. Update: I recently bought a 4K Monitor (Samsung), the footage seems as good as on my MacBook Retina display, and I'd guess on a "Retina 4K Monitor" like the iMac or LG 4K Ultrafine, the footage will be even better! (I already regret buying the Samsung).

Stefan
Would stick with Samsung but go OLED 4k HDR TV or Monitor absolutely mind blowing .
Remember Samsung Displays are literally being used by Apple now anything OLED is Samsung.
Funny most Apple Fans don't realise that the iPhone X sports a Samsung manufactured OLED Display notch and all

Would stick with Samsung but go OLED 4k HDR TV or Monitor absolutely mind blowing .
Remember Samsung Displays are literally being used by Apple now anything OLED is Samsung.
Funny most Apple Fans don't realise that the iPhone X sports a Samsung manufactured OLED Display notch and all
Mine is this one:

Samsung U28D590D pixel density 157.35 PPI

and I was comparing the Samsung with this one:

LG UltraFine 4K Display pixel density 218.58 PPI

Also in comparison to brightness the LG seems better (500 cd/m² for the LG compared to 370 cd/m² for the Samsung).

Do you have a link to the Samsung OLED Monitor (not TV) you are referring to? For the size, I think I will step down to 21" or 22" again, 28" is a bit too much for a monitor on my desk.

thanks,

Stefan

Reactions: FMR

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zaidthesultan