DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shutter speed for action & fast mouvements

WheelzWorld

Reactions
Last edited:
Aperature is fixed on the Mavic. Best shutter speed will depend on several factors. Panning/moving WITH the object will allow slower ss. With video, you can still use 1/2 ss as long as you move same speed as the subject.
If you don't move with your subject or for stills you will generally want higher ss, 1/250 and up.
Experiment.

Thanks!

I'll try a bunch of scenarios when I feel ready (3rd day as a pilot here) and i'll report on SS vs KM/H moving with the subject.

If anybody know some good article (or give any more advise) that could help avoiding many tests it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
I read bigger shutter speed is best for action sports. Therefore the 2x ratio according to FPS is no longer valid in this case on the mavic?

I think you may be confusing shutter speed with frames per second. Higher frames per second make fast moving stuff look smoother. Faster shutter speed has the opposite effect, it'll make the video look more stop motiony. 1/(2xFPS), (so if 30 fps you want 1/60 shutter) is the best shutter speed for fast moving things. It gives it some motion blur to each frame which smooths the video between frames. It's less jarring.

Now if you're taking pictures, then higher shutter speed is better, as it'll give you a crisp image with no motion blur.

Reactions: Ivanpeppel122
Actually I was wondering if the shutter speed is used in both ways on video (as well as the mavic response) as it seems so for pics... I don't even know how to interpolate this article as I don't find which aperture does the mavic have.

Also, is 60fps "usable" if the mavic stay put...?? Or should I really forget about it...?

P.S sorry I got hard time to currently check everything myself... Need a new computer... And multiple advise is always better! [emoji51]

All depends on the look you want.
I'm actually trying to understand both how it works and what's the capacity of the mavic compared to "usual/better gear"

My point is first to know if different settings should be applied on the mavic to get better results or should I follow usual guidelines. (sorry those watermarks, etc. Got me paranoid...)

Actually I was wondering if the shutter speed is used in both ways on video (as well as the mavic response) as it seems so for pics... I don't even know how to interpolate this article as I don't find which aperture does the mavic have.

Also, is 60fps "usable" if the mavic stay put...?? Or should I really forget about it...?

P.S sorry I got hard time to currently check everything myself... Need a new computer... And multiple advise is always better! [emoji51]
The aperture on the mavic camera is fixed, wide open at f2.2
When talking about still photos, shutter speed is used.
When talking about video then it's about fps.
Are you talking about photography or videography in your shoots?

The shutter speed on digital video is analogous to the shutter angle on film motion picture cameras (Google shutter angle for a better understanding). The shutter speed of 2x the frame rate simulates a 180 degree shutter angle which is the normal in film motion pictures.

The shutter speed determines how long the sensor is exposed to the light for each frame and thus directly relates to the amount of motion blur. In moving pictures (film or video) you are showing your brain multiple still images per second (frame rate). Typically this is 24 frames or 30 frames. Your brain receives these images and perceives differences in these images as motion. For the brain to "see" these images as normal motion there needs to be a degree of motion blur between subsequent images of moving objects. Setting your shutter speed to twice the frame rate provides the brain with a comfortable amount of motion blur so the "moving pictures" appear to be realistic.

If you "up" the shutter speed to a faster shutter, you reduce the motion blur and your brain starts seeing the video as "choppy" because moving objects seem to jump between each frame rather than move smoothly from frame to frame. The faster the shutter speed, the greater the effect. This can be used on purpose. For instance the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan was shot this way to give the audience a jarring, hyper-realistic experience.

So, if you want to obey the 2x shutter speed rule and you have a camera with a fixed aperture (Mavic), then the only way to get a properly exposed image is to use an ND filter to reduce the light getting to the sensor.

I hope this helps. I have tried to distill some complex stuff down. For those who want to learn more, leave the drone forums and search online for digital cinematography or videography resources.

The aperture on the mavic camera is fixed, wide open at f2.2
When talking about still photos, shutter speed is used.
When talking about video then it's about fps.
Are you talking about photography or videography in your shoots?

Eeek, bad info in this post, please don't listen to it OP. See the post above this one for good info.

Shutter speed is relevant for both video AND photography. For video FPS is also relevant.

The shutter speed on digital video is analogous to the shutter angle on film motion picture cameras (Google shutter angle for a better understanding). The shutter speed of 2x the frame rate simulates a 180 degree shutter angle which is the normal in film motion pictures.

The shutter speed determines how long the sensor is exposed to the light for each frame and thus directly relates to the amount of motion blur. In moving pictures (film or video) you are showing your brain multiple still images per second (frame rate). Typically this is 24 frames or 30 frames. Your brain receives these images and perceives differences in these images as motion. For the brain to "see" these images as normal motion there needs to be a degree of motion blur between subsequent images of moving objects. Setting your shutter speed to twice the frame rate provides the brain with a comfortable amount of motion blur so the "moving pictures" appear to be realistic.

If you "up" the shutter speed to a faster shutter, you reduce the motion blur and your brain starts seeing the video as "choppy" because moving objects seem to jump between each frame rather than move smoothly from frame to frame. The faster the shutter speed, the greater the effect. This can be used on purpose. For instance the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan was shot this way to give the audience a jarring, hyper-realistic experience.

So, if you want to obey the 2x shutter speed rule and you have a camera with a fixed aperture (Mavic), then the only way to get a properly exposed image is to use an ND filter to reduce the light getting to the sensor.

I hope this helps. I have tried to distill some complex stuff down. For those who want to learn more, leave the drone forums and search online for digital cinematography or videography resources.
Thanks for the detailed reply [emoji3]

For sure I'll check more on appropriate forums.

I guess I just have the newbie reflex of checking here first (partly as the mavic is still limited so never know if some workaround are used by other users)

You are welcome!

And it's good to check in this forum. There is a lot of great information here. I was just pointing out that there are also a large number of really good sites for learning the photography side of this hobby.

You can always check out the likes of Richard Harrington, Robbie Carmen, Jem Scofield, Stu Maschwitz, Shane Hurlbut, No Film School, and Phillip Bloom. All have great videos and tutorials. Also check out Lynda.com which has a large number of very good video courses on a bunch of topics including digital photography and videography.

Good luck and enjoy the learning! For me that's half the fun.

Hello ! Being a beginner in the Mavic video and photo recording , confined by time , but not lazy... I would like to find an answer. For the quality of a image /video , could we not respect the 2x fr formula if in our field of view doen't exit any moving object ? (including moving water - beaches ,waterfalls ... ) ? . In what actual situations we MUST respect the 2x formula for a quality (only for fluence ? ) video ? . Thank you

Hello everybody .I will reformulate my above question : could we not respect the formula shutter speed 2x frame rate if we don't record moving objects/images , if in that way the quality of video would be better ?

If I am shooting only static landscapes (no wind,moving waters , people walking etc..) , does the shutter speed matter for the quality of video ? What would be the upper limit for a sunny day with 25 fps , with ISO 100 for example ? What would be the drawbacks (if any ),beside the fluency of the video -null in this case ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM