DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow forward speed

I had been trying to sync up with DJI Assisant 2 for a while. After doing a compass calibration it had improved flight but still was flying slow in forward. Taking off OA did return to normal flight. After I finally successfully doing a Vision Sensor calibration. It appears to be flying normal again!
I've never been able to get DJI Assistant 2 to work on my computers. Hope I don't ever have to! :eek:)

I watched two videos but this was the most detailed -

I took it out for a spin this morning and it was flying normally, so very happy! Not enough space to do a RTH test but will do that this weekend in a field near my home.
I've done RTH (while testing) in very tight quarters and it worked amazingly well / precise. I've had it land within inches of take off and the worst case was just a couple of feet off. If you have a landing pattern / platform or quite unique looking landing area, it increases the chances of a precise landing. Be sure to check your RTH settings. Be careful with the OA options on your first test.

Now that's an interesting idea, but before going down that route - my update...

I recalibrated the forward and downward vision sensors, compass and IMUs this afternoon. Whilst looking at the photo of the front left vision camera, I noticed that the top cover of the drone was slightly separated from the body, so pressed down on it and it moved a fraction and "clicked" into place. I'd watched a Mavic tear-down video yesterday afternoon and the guy in the video commented something about the pressure from the top covers holding the connectors for the cameras (and antennae?) in place. Interesting. So, I waited for the rain to ease off this afternoon at home and took the Mavic out for a test flight. Take off to hover and OA radar sensors reporting obstacles in front about 4m away - the fence. Took the Mavic up to 3m so it was looking over the fence and no obstructions for 10m - radar all green. Full stick forward and my demented dragonfly tipped over and took off at what looked like normal speed. Hallelujah! I couldn't take it for a full run - not enough space, but I'll put it through its paces tomorrow in the work car park and test it, including RTH. Keeping fingers crossed that she might be good... :)

That's fantastic news. I went back and looked at the photo, and you're right. It doesn't seem like a small opening like that would have such a huge impact. But, perhaps light getting through the opening was somehow causing glare to get to the sensor? The greenish tint of the glass almost looks like an IR coating of some sort. If that's the case, then unfiltered light coming through that opening may well have blinded the sensor.

BTW that same image shows what looks like cracks on the glass. Is that just an optical illusion, or is the glass damaged?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead