DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small Airport/Heliport Notification

Very nice. But... where do you guys send that email to? Where do you find the email addresses of all those private airport and heliport operators?
Check out the app AirMap

I did. In my area it shows one airport and 11 heliports. No emails listed for any of them.
I didn't realize you only wanted email addy. Some (ok many) do not list email addresses and you gotta call them. First one I clicked on locally only has phone # contact.

But folks like @Forcecilia say they just write email, and that would be so much more convenient than calling 1 airport + 11 heliports. @Forcecilia , if you're still here... where do you find the email addresses?

A related bit of information I just learned while studying for my 107 test, just to add some confusion: From what I understand, what you are doing determines which rules you are flying under. That is to say, just because you have a 107 license does not provide you the capability to fly under 107 rules under all circumstances. So, for example, if you are flying for fun (ie not getting paid/doing commercial work) then you will not be flying under 107 rules, you'll be flying as a hobbiest...even though you have a 107 license.

So then, relating to the comment about the hobbiest having it lighter than a 107 pilot...if all the info above is accurate, it seems to me that you can fly within the 5 mile radius of an airport with just notification, as long as you are not doing it for profit, even if you are a 107 pilot.

I'm brand new and just studying all this...so my method of stating above may be off, but hopefully it will be understood. Will be interesting to see if others think it is accurate.

A related bit of information I just learned while studying for my 107 test, just to add some confusion: From what I understand, what you are doing determines which rules you are flying under. That is to say, just because you have a 107 license does not provide you the capability to fly under 107 rules under all circumstances. So, for example, if you are flying for fun (ie not getting paid/doing commercial work) then you will not be flying under 107 rules, you'll be flying as a hobbiest...even though you have a 107 license.

So then, relating to the comment about the hobbiest having it lighter than a 107 pilot...if all the info above is accurate, it seems to me that you can fly within the 5 mile radius of an airport with just notification, as long as you are not doing it for profit, even if you are a 107 pilot.

I'm brand new and just studying all this...so my method of stating above may be off, but hopefully it will be understood. Will be interesting to see if others think it is accurate.

Yes a Part 107 Operator can indeed fly under Part 101 rules. The flight must be completed under teh same rules as it originated meaning you can't Mix & Match them within a flight to meet your needs.

Also a UAS registered as hobby can NOT fly under Part 107 but a UAS registered as Commercial CAN fly either Part 101 or 107.

A correction to one statement that you made - if you have a Part 107 license then you always have the option to fly under Part 107, irrespective of the purpose of your flight. And if the purpose of the flight is purely recreational then you have the choice of Part 101 or Part 107.

I don't think that is quite right. If you have a 107 certificate, your aircraft is registered and is under 55 lbs, then for each flight you can operate under 107 or 101. If you are doing commercial work you have to fly under 107, but if you are flying for fun you can choose between 101 and 107. It's a choice you make for each flight. Your choice.

I live by 10 heliports and one airport. Am I supposed to call all 11places each time I fly to notify them?? This is insane. There must be an easier way. Trying to follow the rules but this is crazy. Can we simplify and send a message/request through an app perhaps?

Reactions: BoulderJD
I don't think that is quite right. If you have a 107 certificate, your aircraft is registered and is under 55 lbs, then for each flight you can operate under 107 or 101. If you are doing commercial work you have to fly under 107, but if you are flying for fun you can choose between 101 and 107. It's a choice you make for each flight. Your choice.

That is correct.

I live by 10 heliports and one airport. Am I supposed to call all 11places each time I fly to notify them?? This is insane. There must be an easier way. Trying to follow the rules but this is crazy. Can we simplify and send a message/request through an app perhaps?
After several phone calls and leaving voice messages on several numbers at the local non-towered airport I was finally contacted by someone who arranged for me to text message a notification when I fly, very convenient, and she always responds with a thumbs up or something like that. I called the local hospital with a heliport--they don't really have anyone but Security in charge of it as it doesn't get much use. The Security head was unaware of the need to notify him, said just go ahead and fly, but not over the hospital.

Other small airports have told me to call, but fortunately I usually am only in range of 1 or 2 of them.

The upshot: Make an initial contact and try to make arrangements for a convenient method of contact. As the lady at the airport said, the only reason she needed to know was that if there was an incident, they'd know who to contact.

Sidenote: Yesterday within minutes of my announcing my intent to fly, three different small airplanes flew low nearby--don't know if they were checking me out or just coincidence.

After several phone calls and leaving voice messages on several numbers at the local non-towered airport I was finally contacted by someone who arranged for me to text message a notification when I fly, very convenient, and she always responds with a thumbs up or something like that. I called the local hospital with a heliport--they don't really have anyone but Security in charge of it as it doesn't get much use. The Security head was unaware of the need to notify him, said just go ahead and fly, but not over the hospital.

Other small airports have told me to call, but fortunately I usually am only in range of 1 or 2 of them.

The upshot: Make an initial contact and try to make arrangements for a convenient method of contact. As the lady at the airport said, the only reason she needed to know was that if there was an incident, they'd know who to contact.

Great advice :)

Sidenote: Yesterday within minutes of my announcing my intent to fly, three different small airplanes flew low nearby--don't know if they were checking me out or just coincidence.

I'd bet 100% coincidence.

Yes :) ,

"As long as you follow FAA guidelines, ie < 400’, line of sight, NOTAM filed, etc you are good to operate."

What is so ntriguing about airports? It seems like when you tell your child do not do something they will do what you tell them not to.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54