DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller advantages?

TedShred

Reactions
Besides setup time, what are some more advantages over an IPad?

I am debating getting it.

I don't use a SC, but these to start with:

Screen size - Ipad larger
Brightness - SC brighter
Connectivity - SC hardwired / Ipad separate cable (potential point of failure)

The 5.5" screen size makes it a no for me.

Besides setup time, what are some more advantages over an IPad?

I am debating getting it.
From what I can tell

Pros:
Convenience and integrated solution, it all fits in the bag. I think this is a big win
1000 NIT display - this is the same brightness as the crystal sky high brightness
Functions in greater temperature range as does crystal sky. ipads and iphones have battery issues in low and high temperatures
HDMI out

Cons:
Weight - can be relieved with SC lanyard
android - I have a CS, and it is a fantastic display. It is also android, and it has a slight lag on occasion whereas my dull ipad mini 4 is less laggy
screen size is the same as a largish smart phone. IMO 5.5" is just too small unless you are young. It's not so much the eye sight that is the issue, rather everything on the screen is small.
No telemetry on RC screen (this was redundant anyway, and rarely used as intended)

Side note: controller sticks are removable, but IMO that works against convenience. I would leave them on, and get an inexpensive stick cover.

Reactions: Inspirephil
No thanks I’lol stick with my iPad mini 4 and a sunshade for about half the price. The little bit of setup time that’s gained isn’t worth the large price tag. To each their own.
;)

From what I can tell

Cons:
No telemetry on RC screen (this was redundant anyway, and rarely used as intended)

This makes me wonder about failure conditions. I've had plenty of times when the app died or lost connection to the controller, and I relied on the telemetry readings on the controller. Presumably, that failure case is eliminated by the SC, but it does make me wonder.

This makes me wonder about failure conditions. I've had plenty of times when the app died or lost connection to the controller, and I relied on the telemetry readings on the controller. Presumably, that failure case is eliminated by the SC, but it does make me wonder.
Like any other of the releases from DJI there’s always bugs of some type for awhile until they get them resolved. If or when I decide to purchase it will be after all those issues are resolved.
But I seriously doubt that I’ll buy it because my iPad mini 4 has a larger screen and if it’s too bright out when I am flying I’ll simply use a sunshade or if it’s too bad I will pull out my 2000 nit UB crystal sky monitor and use it.

Like any other of the releases from DJI there’s always bugs of some type for awhile until they get them resolved. If or when I decide to purchase it will be after all those issues are resolved.
But I seriously doubt that I’ll buy it because my iPad mini 4 has a larger screen and if it’s too bright out when I am flying I’ll simply use a sunshade or if it’s too bad I will pull out my 2000 nit UB crystal sky monitor and use it.
I have the mini 4, and the CSU, also.
I find myself using the mini 4 more frequently, and it seems like you do as well. Is there a particular reason(s) you opt for the mini over the CSU?

I have the mini 4, and the CSU, also.
I find myself using the mini 4 more frequently, and it seems like you do as well. Is there a particular reason(s) you opt for the mini over the CSU?
The main reason I prefer the iPad mini 4 vs. the UB Crystal sky monitor is the fact that it’s Android based system and I just don’t like Android, plain and simple.
I am more comfortable using iOS than Android systems. Personally I think iOS downloads faster and easier than Android. I cut my teeth on iOS about 15 years ago and it’s just a personal preference. You go with what you know.
;)

The main reason I prefer the iPad mini 4 vs. the UB Crystal sky monitor is the fact that it’s Android based system and I just don’t like Android, plain and simple.
I am more comfortable using iOS than Android systems. Personally I think iOS downloads faster and easier than Android. I cut my teeth on iOS about 15 years ago and it’s just a personal preference. You go with what you know.
;)
Makes sense
I think for me the primary reason is ease of setup and less gear to tote around

Supposedly, a mini 5 is right around the corner; possibly March 2019. Sometime in 2019 for certain. The tech news, and YT are full of stories on it. The expectation is that the processor will receive an upgrade from the A8 to at least the A10 I would like to see an increase of the NITs. Unfortunately, it's also expected that the screen will not be laminated. I'm not sure what difference that will make, but it is a cost cutting measure, so that can't be good.

Makes sense
I think for me the primary reason is ease of setup and less gear to tote around

Supposedly, a mini 5 is right around the corner; possibly March 2019. Sometime in 2019 for certain. The tech news, and YT are full of stories on it. The expectation is that the processor will receive an upgrade from the A8 to at least the A10 I would like to see an increase of the NITs. Unfortunately, it's also expected that the screen will not be laminated. I'm not sure what difference that will make, but it is a cost cutting measure, so that can't be good.
Huh, that’s strange because I read just a few months ago that Apple was going to discontinue the mini series of iPads. I would hope that they’ll increase the nits if they do decide to continue releasing the mini series.
I really like the size of it for use with my M2P’s remote control. Although I have to spread the arms out as far as they will go it’s fairly easy to setup and once again I just can’t justify spending $650 for the ease of setup. I already modified my remote control to use the Titan Switch Antenna amplified system and I am not going to just throw it away for ease of setup with the Smart Controller. That would be a big waste of money.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc