DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So now I’m grounded!

Unfortunately I've found travelling to some countries that claim to allow drone flying can be as frustrating as finding places to fly in the UK. Two years ago I contacted a safari lodge in Botswana for permission to take off from their grounds on the banks of the Zambezi and they said it would be OK. When I arrived some weeks later the general manager rescinded their permission saying the authorities said no, in case I might be acting for poachers looking for animals to kill! Flabbergasted wasn't the word! Similar in the Bahamas during a shark diving boat trip. Authorities wanted $500 deposited with customs to ensure I didn't sell my drone to a local where sales of drones are taxed heavily. Needless to say I didn't even bother, I've been caught like that before. Have some good video while snorkelling of me being deliberately butted in the chest by a 12 ft whale shark in the Philippines two years ago and some close encounters with similar sized Tiger sharks in the Bahamas in January before covid-19 struck, but this forum isn't the place for underwater stuff, is it?
Not a fan of sharks ?....the Philippines is infested with them. Hopefully, after this crap, I'll get some drone footage of the sharks in my wife's province

Wasn't too convinced myself about how bad this virus nonsense was and why we were killing businesses large and small. Soon woke up when I was on hands n knees coughing so bad I couldn't breathe and when the ambulance came calling trying to take me to hospital, I refused (terrified about going in and not coming back out) and feel fortunate that the worst of it passed in a couple of weeks and hopefully no lasting impact. I'll now welcome lockdown,even with the financial problems it's.going to cause me, as long as the experts feel it's the best option. I know I'm taking as many precautions as possible FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS, I just wish those who don't would be punished, no excuses. On the plus side, I'm close enough to the edge of town to still be able to fly from my back garden and still get some nice views. Take care all!

Not a fan of sharks ?....the Philippines is infested with them. Hopefully, after this crap, I'll get some drone footage of the sharks in my wife's province
The healthiest reefs on the planet are those which also have a good population of sharks, a sure sign of plenty of prey fish species and also of food for the prey species to eat. Lol, don't worry, it's highly unlikely sharks will be invading Dublin any time soon. They get an undeserved bad rap from TV producers on "Shark Week" who know viewers love to be scared out of their wits, that's also why Dracula & Frankenstein movies are so popular. As a diver for nearly 50 years and having dived all over the world and encountered sharks many times, I can vouch for the fact that they aren't waiting at the stern of every boat waiting for "lunch" to jump in and satisfy their appetites. Swimming or snorkelling at the surface leaves one most vulnerable if a shark decides to investigate you, scuba diving however makes them think you're just another large marine creature, albeit a strange, bubble-blowing one and I have plenty of underwater video proving that, and sharks haven't survived for millions of years by picking a fight with every strange creature they encounter. I've dived with all the so-called man-eaters, Tiger, Great White, Bull, Oceanic White-Tip and Great Hammerhead. Great white the only one with a cage between us since they were in feeding mode on the look out for elephant seals, so not a good idea to risk it outside the cage. Before covid-19 struck I dived in the Bahamas last January with Tiger & Great Hammerheads only two metres away, no problem. They were more interested in the dive leader who was hand-feeding them lumps of fish, much more tasty than skinny, boney humans, though as I said in post #49, I would've liked to have used my Mavic to shoot aerial shots from the boat's stern of the action since it was in less than 30 feet of crystal clear water and many, many sharks at the stern at the end of a day's diving to be fed fish scraps of what was left, but leave a deposit of $500 with Bahamian customs? No thank you. Had to make do with hand-held video from the vessel's top deck instead. I've not been back to the Philippines since 2017, before buying my Mavic and would love to return to dive and drone to shoot some of the spectacular scenery above & below water. When you do get back to the Philippines after the pandemic, if you've a mind to, go to Oslob, Cebu and snorkel with the harmless whale sharks while they're fed with sprats by locals from pangas. A "nice little earner" for the local people!

Wasn't too convinced myself about how bad this virus nonsense was and why we were killing businesses large and small. Soon woke up when I was on hands n knees coughing so bad I couldn't breathe and when the ambulance came calling trying to take me to hospital, I refused (terrified about going in and not coming back out) and feel fortunate that the worst of it passed in a couple of weeks and hopefully no lasting impact. I'll now welcome lockdown,even with the financial problems it's.going to cause me, as long as the experts feel it's the best option. I know I'm taking as many precautions as possible FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS, I just wish those who don't would be punished, no excuses. On the plus side, I'm close enough to the edge of town to still be able to fly from my back garden and still get some nice views. Take care all!
After a diving trip abroad in 2017 to Alor, Indonesia and wanting to try out my newly purchased Mavic 1 Pro to add aerial views to my underwater video, I returned to the UK, flying back via Hong Kong, China. After spending several hours at its airport waiting for the connecting flight back to the UK, I noticed quite a few people joining the flight coughing and spluttering profusely and who sat uncomfortably near where I was seated. Within less than 48 hours of landing back in the UK I too had caught whatever those other passengers had and felt so bad like I'd been punched in the ribs by Mike Tyson that I was flat on my back in bed for 2 weeks. It took me that long to recover so I can attest to to the fact that respiratory illnesses emanating in that country with such a large population and questionable food market practices can brew up to the detriment not only of their own populace but those who come into contact with them. As covid-19 seems to be of an even greater threat, we take it lightly at our peril. These viruses are no joke, no matter what some people in high places who should know better say. Hopefully when a vaccine comes out, sooner rather than later, I'll be able to get back to visiting these locations again to capture more of their stunning beauty.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister

I am sincerely glad that you have appeared to recover. [emoji106]

Reactions: Drone Views Media
The healthiest reefs on the planet are those which also have a good population of sharks, a sure sign of plenty of prey fish species and also of food for the prey species to eat. Lol, don't worry, it's highly unlikely sharks will be invading Dublin any time soon. They get an undeserved bad rap from TV producers on "Shark Week" who know viewers love to be scared out of their wits, that's also why Dracula & Frankenstein movies are so popular. As a diver for nearly 50 years and having dived all over the world and encountered sharks many times, I can vouch for the fact that they aren't waiting at the stern of every boat waiting for "lunch" to jump in and satisfy their appetites. Swimming or snorkelling at the surface leaves one most vulnerable if a shark decides to investigate you, scuba diving however makes them think you're just another large marine creature, albeit a strange, bubble-blowing one and I have plenty of underwater video proving that, and sharks haven't survived for millions of years by picking a fight with every strange creature they encounter. I've dived with all the so-called man-eaters, Tiger, Great White, Bull, Oceanic White-Tip and Great Hammerhead. Great white the only one with a cage between us since they were in feeding mode on the look out for elephant seals, so not a good idea to risk it outside the cage. Before covid-19 struck I dived in the Bahamas last January with Tiger & Great Hammerheads only two metres away, no problem. They were more interested in the dive leader who was hand-feeding them lumps of fish, much more tasty than skinny, boney humans, though as I said in post #49, I would've liked to have used my Mavic to shoot aerial shots from the boat's stern of the action since it was in less than 30 feet of crystal clear water and many, many sharks at the stern at the end of a day's diving to be fed fish scraps of what was left, but leave a deposit of $500 with Bahamian customs? No thank you. Had to make do with hand-held video from the vessel's top deck instead. I've not been back to the Philippines since 2017, before buying my Mavic and would love to return to dive and drone to shoot some of the spectacular scenery above & below water. When you do get back to the Philippines after the pandemic, if you've a mind to, go to Oslob, Cebu and snorkel with the harmless whale sharks while they're fed with sprats by locals from pangas. A "nice little earner" for the local people!
I'll drone them from a boat, I'll be visiting the Palawan area this time

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
The best marine life I saw in the Philippines was a 12 hour sail from Palawan at the Tubbataha reefs in the Sulu Sea but only safely diveable from March to June and the site where I got closely investigated by the juvenile whale shark.
I'll drone them from a boat, I'll be visiting the Palawan area this time

Reactions: Drone Views Media
Are you folks in Europe not able to launch from your home? Is the problem no yard or garden? Maybe a window mounted launch pad is in order!

Well, France is now in confinement for at least a month! At least I have this wonderful forum to read and the videos to give me hope and inspiration. Mind you......hopefully I can post a little video when I receive my RS2.....Yipeee....should arrive tomorrow.
joking aside, I hope that you and your loved ones are all keeping safe. I don’t think I need to say more.

Dawn
Can u launch fron a window?

• Wow
Reactions: Grapecrusher
Are you folks in Europe not able to launch from your home? Is the problem no yard or garden? Maybe a window mounted launch pad is in order!
We in Ireland are allowed to walk 5km for exercise, so it's not the hard lockdown we had in March. I'm lucky to an extent, I can still fly, albeit in class C airspace, with all the height limitations. Hopefully we'll be able to resume proper flying in December

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam452