DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Southern California - L.A. area 323/213/818

I haven't been on here much.
I've mostly flown out in the desert but even out there you have Mojave Airport and China Lake and 29 Palms so it's not just open flying out there either.
I haven't flown in L.A. proper for about 2 months.
I haven't updated my Mavic recently and like with a lot of other DJI drone pilots, we're worried that we will be restricted out of flying in the city areas.
when I have flown in L.A. I do it hundreds of feet up. of course I get worried about ghetto birds. LOL

Reactions: ebf
We typically fly either up in the valley (Van Nuys RC Park is a great spot), down in OC, beaches north and south or out in the desert.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Mavic! Safe and happy flying! :cool:

I was harassed by members (they called themselves "board members") of the RC club before. Stay aware and be safe.

I just told them to **** off, hand caught my P3A (Back in the day) and went away.

Now I mostly fly around Venice Beach, close to Rose Ave. Great spot, and the people at the SM airport are always nice over the phone.

Nice, ebf. Have to come down there and fly some with you.
Yes, the people at the Van Nuys RC park can tend to be a little officious, everybody says they know the rules, and of course, they don't always agree on what those rules are, all the time.
However, if you're out there early weekdays, nobody much bothers you.
Weekends can get to be a bit of a block party though, great for socializing, a little meh for serious flying, unless you're into racing, fpv and the like.

I was harassed by members (they called themselves "board members") of the RC club before. Stay aware and be safe.

I just told them to **** off, hand caught my P3A (Back in the day) and went away.

Now I mostly fly around Venice Beach, close to Rose Ave. Great spot, and the people at the SM airport are always nice over the phone.

Ebf, I'm within a couple of miles of Venice Beach ,if you still fly there maybe I could join you sometime.

How is everyone determining if the area you are in is okay to fly the drone? Some of the apps seem confusing and hard to read.

How is everyone determining if the area you are in is okay to fly the drone? Some of the apps seem confusing and hard to read.

I find a mixture of AirMap app and seeing how busy it is around you. And common sense avoiding highly populated areas where you know there will be police patrols etc like touristy areas. But it does require quite a bit of thought/planning.

@Troncat Similar to your bio, I bounce between Samo and Big Bear too.

So, about a month or so ago, when Big Bear had (yet another) fire out by the dump, I checked out the Big Bear Airport website because they had some helicopter operations on their live web cam. Surprisingly, BBA has a great web page about flying drones in the BBV area -- the Airport Manager basically says don't fly in the area marked in red (on the map) and "in an effort to simplify this process, recreational drone flights outside this objectionable (red) area are permitted without the need to contact me or the airport for coordination" NICE!!!

Check it out at http://www.bigbearcityairport.com/drone-information/

Now, if other airports can be that proactive...

Still worth noting:
A) The local helicopter tour guy does fly low over the mountains giving tours. Marine helicopters and Osprey's do frequent low altitude fly-overs. So, keep ears and eyes out for nearby aircraft

B) The Big Bear area has been prone to fires. If any fires are in the area, assume a TFR is or will go into affect for fire fighting aircraft operations. (Local residents already have a dislike of drones due to drone intrusions during a couple of fires last year that grounded FF aircraft.)

Reactions: Rck211
I flew around Santa Fe dam (in SGV) today. It's pretty populated by the water/picnic areas but to the north side it's a bit quieter (but not very scenic) and very open. Flew for a while till a local police helicopter that was in the distance took some interest in me and took several loops over me.

Though it probably looked suspicious. Some guy on his own on the dusty trails, don't know if they even saw my drone.

Reactions: getitinwriting
Hey! I still fly there sometimes. Let me know when you’re available :)
At what location and which days of the week or good for you? I'm retired so my schedule is flexible, also have tried the rc park in I think it's
Burbank or Van Nuys, not sure which?

4439e90b85f164ba158212b366279bc2.jpg

I'm visiting for a couple of weeks. Took this picture in Riverside the other day. The video is awesome. I actually contacted two airports and got permission. Going to OC next week. Any recommendations?

@ebf do you ever get hassled by the cops/LAC Park Rangers? Or do you fly low profile (in,out,gone)?

@jmsmithyj the Apollo RC field is in Van Nuts, west of the 405, north of the 101/the Dam, via Burbank Blvd -> Woodley ave

@ebf do you ever get hassled by the cops/LAC Park Rangers? Or do you fly low profile (in,out,gone)?

@jmsmithyj the Apollo RC field is in Van Nuts, west of the 405, north of the 101/the Dam, via Burbank Blvd -> Woodley ave
Thanks for the Info, plan to check it out in the am on a week day.

"Van Nuts" LOL!!! Just saw the auto-correct f-up -- I meant Van Nuys

4439e90b85f164ba158212b366279bc2.jpg

I'm visiting for a couple of weeks. Took this picture in Riverside the other day. The video is awesome. I actually contacted two airports and got permission. Going to OC next week. Any recommendations?
Mount Rubidoux is great, there is also a little lake near by, lake evans.

new owner here! just got Mavic less than a month ago - I live in LA - studio city to be exact - is the Van Nuys RC spot, is that Lake Balboa perhaps? I've been there to practice some and its cool - only go there weekdays toward end of day to practice, readjust settings, and things like that.

I am interested in going elsewhere and getting some cool visuals - specially Malibu since I go there quite often - usually more north into Ventura. always good to meet other SoCal peeps:)

cool shot - horizon is off - do you have that problem a lot? use gimbal control?

First time I noticed that. There are mountains but it doesn't appear that much. Looks pretty straight to me but again tough to tell with the mountains.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan