DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spark in the meantime?

Hossinn

Reactions
I've finally gathered enough funds for the MPP, but I'm so curious about the Mavic II. As a first time drone pilot do you recommend I just go with the MPP, or would it be a good idea to purchase a Spark, to learn basic drone piloting, while waiting for the Mavic II? Or now I'm hearing about the Tello. Is that a good drone to get into the hobby with? It's cheaper than the Spark but I wonder if it's mainly for people who want to do coding?

A single twitter user called OsitaLV is the source of the MP2 rumour. He suggests that it is due to be announced “late March to June”. He did leak the Mavic Air and got that right but also he posted about the VTOL that turned out to be fake news. So relax and enjoy the only true facts; the Mavic Pro Platinum is an awesome aircraft, and so is the Spark. I am sure you would be happy with either to be honest they are both a great buy. No idea about the Tello as I don’t have one but I can’t imagine it’s much good in the wind?

Reactions: Hossinn
The Tello is something different. It’s not really aimed at a consumer drone market and is more an educational tool. The MPP is fantastic at this stage. There is always going to be something new around the corner

The Tello might be a good choice if you only want something to fly indoors and you don't mind flying with a mobile device (since a remote controller is not an option). For outdoor flying, the Spark would be a much better option. As an added bonus, many sellers recently reduced the price for the Spark.

If you decide the Spark is a good fit, you might find this comprehensive list (updated daily) of authorized DJI dealers who have Sparks in stock on Amazon handy.

The Tello might be a good choice if you only want something to fly indoors and you don't mind flying with a mobile device (since a remote controller is not an option). For outdoor flying, the Spark would be a much better option. As an added bonus, many sellers recently reduced the price for the Spark.

If you decide the Spark is a good fit, you might find this comprehensive list (updated daily) of authorized DJI dealers who have Sparks in stock on Amazon handy.

Thank you. Is there a similar "comprehensive list" for the MPP? Are these considered to be the best deals available?

My MAIN goal for drone piloting is to film my wife and kids surfing (over water). I'm guessing the Spark is going to leave me wanting more, and potentially frustrated. *whispers* I want you to tell me to buy the MPP :)

In my opinion, buying a "pre" drone to learn before buying a "real" drone doesn't really exist. Ok, you can buy a spark or a tello before buying mavic or a phantom but honestly you can learn from a mavic/phantom as well as they are relatively the same in terms of flying it. They hover and you push the stick forward and backwards, upwards and downwards and that's it. I guess you can call that DJI technology since that's what the tello is about leveraging DJI tech to function like DJI drones.

Sorry I can't throw you technical jargon but if you ever flown the cheaper drones that are around $100 or so or less those drones tend to require throttling to have it hover. You have to trim it left and right, side to side to have it however without it drifting and once you do that you can start flying. Even then you'll have to trim it every so often trying to balance it out.

The point is you can learn from any drone and i think if there is anything I would tell you to learn is orientation. In my opinion a lot of crashes (aside from malfunctions) is due to pilot error where once the drone turns a certain orientation, left becomes right, forward becomes backwards and what not and you freak out running into a wall, tree or to the ground.

The only part of this statement I disagree is about the remote. A remote is very much an option for the Tello. It has been written, and shown, that it works with certain Bluetooth remotes such as the Gamesir T1.

A remote is very much an option for the Tello. It has been written, and shown, that it works with certain Bluetooth remotes such as the Gamesir T1.
I don't know that the Gamesir T1 operates as a normal remote controller, but it seems like a better option than using the virtual sticks. The DJI employees over at RC Groups are saying it's not compatible with the Tello yet. It looks like Ryze Tech is still working out some bugs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maccer