DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Specialized Mavic LUTs SpectrumGrades

Here's a really excellent tutorial on using LUTs and to easily achieve a polished filmic look

Haven't had much luck with these LUTS. They are very washed out on a range of footage and many of the luts apply the same tone types.

Have to agree,they need a lot of work under the LuT to make them shine,well at least the xlab ones (trying those on footage atm),which is kind of against the whole idea of LuTs.

Have to agree,they need a lot of work under the LuT to make them shine,well at least the xlab ones (trying those on footage atm),which is kind of against the whole idea of LuTs.

In the video they are applied and work very effectively and easily. It shows it there. Are you filming in D-log +1/-3/0?
Also how's your exposure balance.
Often people over expose. Shoot at -3 on the Ev meter

It's rarely so simple, if you are shooting a scene such as dark forest it isn't going to look its best with the same treatment as a Mediterranean coastal scene.
I wish LUTs weren't touted as some almost magical process - especially by those selling them.
It's easy enough to make your own and the main benefit is consistent underlying style rather than massive time saving.

Reactions: adrstuart

Just did a test with x-Lab and they work perfectly and have a concise processed color profile. They look very stylish. As you can see there has been absolutely no editing/ adjustments. There is the image D-Log ungraded and then the image with the applied lut. You're obviously doing something wrong. They work super well [emoji41][emoji106]

7055c44675f6c420a9350301e28ac8fd.jpg
2981f2e4256434fd1dbcb193412d832c.jpg

Last edited:
I was shooting at 0 on ev meter , normally try to keep within -.7 or +.7. Dlog is at +1 -3 0.
Could be a mixture of crappy laptop screen/boring scenery slightly overexposed in places but i'm not the kinda guy that changes nd filters every flight direction change (still working on my vid. dlog with lut only, then lut only with colour grading to see the difference myself).
Might have to take the footage home for main pc as i'm doing it on my laptop at work to pass time :) no work to do. will see.
Just noticed you're using D,yea that seems the easiest one to use for me .
I'll pm you the vid link when i'm done. Wish i had scenery like your pic though.WOW.

I was shooting at 0 on ev meter , normally try to keep within -.7 or +.7. Dlog is at +1 -3 0.
Could be a mixture of crappy laptop screen/boring scenery slightly overexposed in places but i'm not the kinda guy that changes nd filters every flight direction change (still working on my vid. dlog with lut only, then lut only with colour grading to see the difference myself).
Might have to take the footage home for main pc as i'm doing it on my laptop at work to pass time :) no work to do. will see.
Just noticed you're using D,yea that seems the easiest one to use for me .
I'll pm you the vid link when i'm done. Wish i had scenery like your pic though.WOW.

That's awesome. Yeah I agree it could be multiple factors affecting the presets. Just follow the instructions that come with the pack with the settings and guidelines.

As for the very few people mentioning a washed out look it actually is purposely done that way so that there is leverage to handle high contrast scenarios. What if there was a high contrast shot and next thing one applies the lut and then all of a sudden everything is blown out to white and crushed to black. If that were the case then people would complain that it's crushing the image too much. In my opinion it's better to have a bit of leverage to consider all filming conditions. This is where you get to control that aspect very nicely and with ease [emoji108][emoji41]

just re read the instructions again,specifically the part about changing shutter speed...thats my problem there. i only ever fly at 24fps 1/50 changing only white balance between sunny and cloudy depending on the day. plus i also use nd filters. i can see,quite easily,by changing shutter speed they'd be perfect and as for the contrast/washed i understand what you're saying but its rendering for another hour on this pc and i'm not gonna stop it to re tweak,just a test after all. neat video and instant4k render times...sigh :)

so if I am shooting 4k 30fps then my shutter should be 60-80 max 100 right? then with the settings you suggested and EV should all work fine?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert