DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Startup chime different

taryn

Reactions
This is no biggie, but since the latest firmware update my Mavic's startup chime is kinda...off. It used to be the standard three-tone with a slight "echo" straight after, but now it's actually changing every time it is turned on and off. Anyone else having this happen too?

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Yes its very flat and not as impressive as before. I have no idea why companies fix what aint broke!

If it's any consolation, mine was doing this too, following the last F/W update. Then yesterday I fired it up and it had gone back to normal. Who knows if it will remain normal...

When you listen to the original chime (for ex. in the DJI's youtube videos), the initial startup chime has a sort of doubling echo in the last part; It seems that echo is now playing first, and then the main theme, which now renders very flat without the echo, like Robbyg noticed. It's like they used to run two different audio files in paralell for getting that chime sound, and somehow, during the last firmware upgrade, the playing order / timing of both sounds gets randomized, or screwed up :D

Later edit: Definitely a programming error of some sloppy work; it's just like a music band would sell a song on a record, and not combine all instrument files in one single file, but leave each instument on a separate one, expecting the user to select all individual files and then hit PLAY button, hoping for a good synchonisation of all those files :D

Last edited:
Reactions: taryn
Yes, this is perfectly normal.

Sooo, here's a little experiment I just did: Took a sound recorder, booted up my Mavic, recorded the "wrecked" chime, as I now call it. Downloaded the file to my computer; fired up a sound editing software, loaded the sound file; it looked like the "wrecked chime" image below. Then I cut the first part, the so-called "echo" and mixed it over the "main theme". Had to perform several tries, until I got what I expected: the "original chime", tadaaa :D

Below audio files, for you to test:
Wrecked chime here:
Corrected chime here:

Now, please someone explain why on Earth would anybody program into a boot sequence TWO separate audio files (which obviously can go wrong, like we are now experiencing), when you could load only ONE??

Now, please someone explain why on Earth would anybody program into a boot sequence TWO separate audio files (which obviously can go wrong, like we are now experiencing), when you could load only ONE??

As an audio engineer, my first thought when I heard the messed up starting tone was that I was hearing two renditions of the same tone being fired off at "almost" the same time. I concluded that there is more than one event trigger, that fires off the sound, or a loop in the programming. Hopefully they get this sorted out. It certainly has not affected my flights, at least not in any way that I can tell.

Strange they changed the startup sound. It was as unique and identifiable to the dji Mavic as the sounds starting windows are to Microsoft....its part of their branding. Not a big deal, but I miss it already.

Strange they changed the startup sound. It was as unique and identifiable to the dji Mavic as the sounds starting windows are to Microsoft....its part of their branding. Not a big deal, but I miss it already.
Well, they did not. It's a bug, not a feature. Just like you noticed, that original sound is already DJI's trademark, and you cannot change that just like this. It's obviously a software glitch what we are experiencing at the moment, hopefully it will be soon fixed in a new firmware release.

Last edited:
Well, they did not. It's a bug, not a feature. Just like you noticed, that original sound is already DJI's trademark, and you cannot change that just like this. It's obviously a software glitch what we are experiencing at the moment, hopefully it will be soon fixed in a new firmware release.
Guess this is indicative of the rush to get something out the door without proper QC. Imagine what would happen if Microsoft did the same with Windows...it would make world news . Makes one wonder and question the unintended changes they make that may not be obvious.

Guess this is indicative of the rush to get something out the door without proper QC. Imagine what would happen if Microsoft did the same with Windows...it would make world news . Makes one wonder and question the unintended changes they make that may not be obvious.

Exactly my thoughts and fear as well! I mean, on one hand we are discussing in this forum on endless topics about how to improve camera video settings and picture quality, and on the other we discover such childish errors like messing up a simple chime running at drone startup!

Honestly, I couldn't think of anything I care about less than the **** start up sound. I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one and I don't have a damaged ESC or something. I'm sure they'll probably fix this in the next update.

Just to add to this: It seems to change depending on what battery I put into it. I've got three batteries, and each one yields slightly different chimes from the Mavic. It's not a major concern (I do prefer the old sound though), but hopefully it gets addressed.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61