DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm said no!

it takes ama weeks just to get a id card to you when you should be able to print one out from the website. hate to think what a claim with them would take.

I always thought that was ******** myself in this day and age. Better read all the fine print. They have many outs on claims.

Here was my actual reply from my State Farm agent.... And the PDF she sent me.

Clay,

I am attaching a copy of the brochure. Below is the list of requirements to insure the Drone. The application is on my computer. When you provide the needed information, I will fill out the application and you can pay me by phone.

The insured drone must be used for hobby or recreational purposes.

The unit must weigh less than 55 pounds to be eligible for coverage and to be considered for recreational / hobby use.

A copy of the actual purchase documents and photo must be submitted with the PAP application.

Information on the brand and model of the drone and related components is required.

Kathy Bailey LSA 5

Attachments

• PAP.pdf
    166.5 KB · Views: 42
Each state varies, but I just got a State Farm policy on mine for $60 per year in Georgia. Interestingly my agent quoted me $32/year but some weird Georgia law will not allow any policy less than $60/year.
P.S. This is the only policy I have with SF.

I had the same thing happen in Florida, but I later received a refund for the difference. I paid $60 but got a refund check for the difference from $36.

ccpyle,
This is interesting. Did you request the refund or you just got it? How long did it take?

I just wanted to report back that the SF agent I emailed about this confirmed that any claim for a personal articles floater WILL get entered into the LexisNexis database, and will adversely affect your risk rating when you shop for a new policy (auto or home). If you've been with your current insurer for a while, and you do not intend on shopping around for a new one, then you should be safe. She said that as a loyal/long-term insured customers, existing policies tend to not increase. But if you work with a broker that shops annually for the best rates, be prepared to take a hit - likely not qualifying for the best possible rates.

Here is the response from the SF agent:

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus [SIC] and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that.

Last edited:
Here was my actual reply from my State Farm agent.... And the PDF she sent me.

Clay,

I am attaching a copy of the brochure. Below is the list of requirements to insure the Drone. The application is on my computer. When you provide the needed information, I will fill out the application and you can pay me by phone.

The insured drone must be used for hobby or recreational purposes.

The unit must weigh less than 55 pounds to be eligible for coverage and to be considered for recreational / hobby use.

A copy of the actual purchase documents and photo must be submitted with the PAP application.

Information on the brand and model of the drone and related components is required.

Kathy Bailey LSA 5
I actually brought mine down and put it my State Farm guy's desk. Lol...

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

I had the same problem in Arizona with the first State Farm office I went to. I tried a different office and was insured the same day.
Go to a different office.

So I've found when call an agent and say "I want to insure my drone" they say no wayyyyyyyy. State Farm in California doesn't insure them no matter what.

HOWEVER, if you have home owners insurance you can get "Personal Property Insurance" for your Mavic. I called mine and said I want to insure MY CAMERA. He said sure.....What Make is it? Me: DJI Him: What model? Me: Mavic Pro Him: How much was it? Me: $1200
Him: Got it that'll be $16 a year Me: Great. I'm covered for LOSS, Theft, Dropping it etc. Him: Yes, anything else? Me: Nope that'll do, see ya.

Reactions: PeterG
I went to 2 State Farm Agents here in Utah. The second said yes at 60 a year. I am so happy that I have coverage no matter what happens to the drone. This was a stand alone policy. I called my homeowners insurance and they cover any liability on my part for damage the drone does.

Reactions: frankiez
So I've found when call an agent and say "I want to insure my drone" they say no wayyyyyyyy. State Farm in California doesn't insure them no matter what.

HOWEVER, if you have home owners insurance you can get "Personal Property Insurance" for your Mavic. I called mine and said I want to insure MY CAMERA. He said sure.....What Make is it? Me: DJI Him: What model? Me: Mavic Pro Him: How much was it? Me: $1200
Him: Got it that'll be $16 a year Me: Great. I'm covered for LOSS, Theft, Dropping it etc. Him: Yes, anything else? Me: Nope that'll do, see ya.

Clever...I wonder if they have been just as clever in their small print. Hopefully, you're the cleverererer one ;-)

Reactions: cowboytim3
I called my Farmers agent and he checked with superior. My drone is covered under my homeowners policy for liability if I am not flying commercial. I assume also if it is lost or stolen. But I asked mainly about liability issues. Covered under personal property. California
Get that in writing - The liability policy specifically EXCLUDES damage done by "Aircraft" The FAA defines a drone as an "Aircraft". There is no definitive interpretation as to whether the "Aircraft" exclusion in a HO liability policy applies to a drone or not.

Reactions: MonkeyKing

I wonder how that would pan out in the event of a claim even though everything you told him is 100% correct. A half truth but still correct.

Call another. I have State Farm drone policy. It took calling several agents and finally one knew what it was. Evidently it's pretty new. If you're in TX I can share his info with you.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hey,
I live in Houston. Can you share the info with me. I called a couple of agents and they said no. Very frustrating. Your post is encouraging.
Thanks!

Reactions: SailorGerry
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman