DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Steep canyon flights / problems / questions

lannes

Reactions
I suspect it would stay at the bottom, the MM has an internal barometer for measuring altitude so it would reference it's position low down in the canyon.

Reactions: old man mavic
I flew into a steep canyon in Cahuamilpa MEXICO. Aproximat 500 feet down. As the Mavic descended it started to loose satellites and Eventually entered Atti mode. Continued descending and flew about 60 feet from the river. It was windy and unstable. I returned the Mavic manually and descended by foot to the riverside. Not enough satélites down by the river with steep canyon walls. Took of with Opti mode. Once I got to 30 feet the Drone would not fly higher as it said “MAXIMUM ALTITUDE REACHED” Flying over water at low altitudes was a great challenge. Question: What will happen if I fly the drone from the top of the canyon, loose Satelites, enter Atti mode, continue descending, enter Opti mode. Will the Drone return to the top or will it say “MAXIMUM ALTITUDE REACHED” and stay at the bottom of the canyon

Reactions: Davros007
in order for it to RTH it needs a GPS lock so no it would just eventually land at the bottom ,thats my interpretation of how it works ,but i could be wrong

in order for it to RTH it needs a GPS lock so no it would just eventually land at the bottom ,thats my interpretation of how it works ,but i could be wrong
Your not.

I've flown my MM down nearly 1000 feet and no problem, but I did fly back manually so I didn't use the battery up getting to RTH height!

Beautiful!!!

On topic, I stood at the top of a steep bank, and flew my mini off the top, and kept descending over 500' down. It was hard to judge the distance from the river in the valley bottom, so I didn't fly it too low, then after flying up the river about 2300', I turned around and manually flew back to where I started. It flew flawlessly, and had good signal to the controller, and kept locked onto 11 satellites.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DevinNorgarb