DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

STICK EMI 1

rbhamilton

Reactions
I've read the manual and it looks like I've got an issue with stick 1 on my RC. This happened shortly after my RC decided it needed a firmware upgrade. I opened the DJI Go app and went into the menu up top then picked RC calibration. True enough it looks like the right stick is sitting at 14 in the up/down direction rather than 0 where the left one is. I did the calibration and the app showed success. But the message continues.

Any ideas?

stick.jpg

Do you see that message when you take your remote controller outside?

Do you see that message when you take your remote controller outside?

So far I've only had it around the house but yes, inside and out. I found online that Stick EM1 means "Control Sticks are experiencing slight electromagnetic interference, fly the aircraft to another location."

stick1.jpg

Do you see the error when your mobile device is not near the remote controller?

Ok, I've done some testing. The message occurs inside, outside, with the cell phone hooked up or not. I set it in the middle of the lawn and walked away from it - same thing. Always EMI 1. I'm thinking this is possibly a firmware bug or something wrong with the remote. Everything seems to work well though... weird.

I see some people are experiencing this issue over in the DJI forum in this thread. Maybe try following up with them to see if anyone made any progress.

What results did you get from calibrating the Remote Controller?

Btw, there appears to be a performance difference when calibrating between the Remote Controller itself, and through the app.

What results did you get from calibrating the Remote Controller?

Btw, there appears to be a performance difference when calibrating between the Remote Controller itself, and through the app.

Recalibration made no difference of any sort that I could notice. I did my recalibration through the app on my cell phone. I'm afraid I don't know any other way to do it.

Did you try downgrading the firmware? That would at least confirm if the upgrade caused the problem.

I got the same error once, because the controller was too close to the charger unit while it was charging a battery.
Once I moved the controller away from the charger and restarted the controller the error cleared.

Hope this info helps, be safe and happy landings.....

I'm starting to think I have a faulty remote. EM1 is related to some kind of magnetic interference. The error happens when the remote is inside or out, near the quad or not, hooked up to the cell phone or not. Even when the remote is sitting in the middle of a field all alone with no EM of any sort nearby.

The controller appears to work just fine but keeps on displaying the error "Stick EM1" all day every day. Annoying but apparently not fatal. That is not fatal until it is fatal and my Mavic slams into the dirt at 200mph. Will that ever happen? No idea.

At this point my options are to wait for disaster or call DJI and get the royal run-around the are so famous for. I'm not a fan of recalibrating my IMU, banging my drone on the table, dance naked on the lawn, reformatting my computer, downgrading to Windows 95 and all the other garbage things they will suggest before they admit the remote is messed up. I guess I could just be on hold with them all afternoon and PRETEND to go through all the useless steps they suggest.

But then what? Do I really want to send in a working Mavic and get back one that's been smashed up and "refurbished" just because of a random message on the remote that doesn't appear to be causing problems?

Arrrgh.

On the good side, you didn't get the NO PROP error while flying. Could be worse? Hoping for a speedy stick resolution.

It's not EM1 but EMI (electro magnetic interference).

The only time I got that was when I had a tablet with a hidden magnet buried in its screen cover. The magnet holds the cover closed and signals to the tablet to put the screen to sleep. When folded behind the cover, it was too close to the controller stick sensors. When folded just slightly differently, the magnet was too far to affect the controller. So it doesn't take much to fix the problem on a normal controller.

It does sound like yours is over-sensitive, or maybe the magnets inside are mis-aligned.

Reactions: mrprinkles
It's not EM1 but EMI (electro magnetic interference).

Well technically it's EMI 1 so we are both right. :)

But I agree. Mine must be misaligned inside. It doesn't affect my flying so far as I can tell. I'm just going to wait. If the whole thing smashes into the side of a tall building I'll blame the controller. I've got a DJI Refresh waiting for me if I need it.

I've got this issue since starting to fly my new mavic, which I updated to the latest .500 firmware before the first flight so I can't say for sure if it's firmware related or not, it didn't happen my first flight but is now happening consistently.

Unlikely though it sounds, try running a little magnet all around the base of the sticks and back and sides of the controller whilst everything is powered down to degauss it.

I tried it following it being suggested at Stick EMI 1 and it worked for me immediately after fruitlessly trying several remote stick calibrations.

That's it! I put my controller on top of my iPad to charge. It sat directly on top of the magnetic clasp on the cover. I bet you anything that's exactly what fixed mine too!

Reactions: GreatScott
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78