DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange RTH behavior

gjanu

Reactions
My MAVIC was flying at about 130 feet altitude, 500 feet away when I initiated the RTH. As expected, the MAVIC climbed to the specified RTH altitude (160 feet), turned its nose towards the home point and started flying back. When it stopped above the home point, instead of descending, it started going up to its specified maximum altitude (400 feet) and only then it started descending and eventually landed.
Has anyone noticed this RTH behavior?
It was a bright, sunny winter day and on the way towards the home point, the MAVIC flew directly into the sun. I can only assume that in his little brain it considered the sun as an obstacle? Unfortunately I failed to notice if during the beeping sound during the RTH there was some beeping indicating an obstacle. The flight record did not show anything indicating an obstacle.

My MAVIC was flying at about 130 feet altitude, 500 feet away when I initiated the RTH. As expected, the MAVIC climbed to the specified RTH altitude (160 feet), turned its nose towards the home point and started flying back. When it stopped above the home point, instead of descending, it started going up to its specified maximum altitude (400 feet) and only then it started descending and eventually landed.
Has anyone noticed this RTH behavior?
It was a bright, sunny winter day and on the way towards the home point, the MAVIC flew directly into the sun. I can only assume that in his little brain it considered the sun as an obstacle? Unfortunately I failed to notice if during the beeping sound during the RTH there was some beeping indicating an obstacle. The flight record did not show anything indicating an obstacle.

Please post the .TXT from the GO APP.

But it does sound like at near the HP it detected the sun as an obstacle and attempted to climb over it until it reached the max programmed altitude. I assume it then waited for you to interrupt RTH or with batteries near exhaustion it then descended?

Here is the .TXT file for the flight:
DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-15_[13-12-24].txt
I also replayed the cached video stored in my iPad. It now records my comments and all RC sounds and it clearly has the slow beeps indicating RTH and in addition the fast beeps indicating an obstacle. It really looks like the MAVIC interprets bright sun as an "obstacle". What I don't understand is why the MAVIC did not see the sun as an obstacle already while flying back to the home point, but only when it stopped above the home point?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-15_[13-12-24].txt
    883.8 KB · Views: 10
What I don't understand is why the MAVIC did not see the sun as an obstacle already while flying back to the home point, but only when it stopped above the home point?
It sounds like it was just at the right angle at that point. If this happens again, just turn off the obstacle avoidance or cancel RTH and yaw away from the sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580