DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stripping Geographical And Other Information From Video

TR Ganey

Reactions
I have done a couple searches that didn't turn up any results. I'm sure the info is out there but I'm probably just not searching correctly. I'd like to know how to strip all the info off the video so when it is posted all anyone can see is the video it's self.

Reactions: nikitak
I have done a couple searches that didn't turn up any results. I'm sure the info is out there but I'm probably just not searching correctly. I'd like to know how to strip all the info off the video so when it is posted all anyone can see is the video it's self.
What geographical and other information?
Are you certain that the video has any?

Reactions: Ty Pilot and sar104
I dont believe that they do have GPS info embedded. However if you want to remove any info attached to the file, right click, properties, details, at the bottom, remove personal information....

I'm not sure about the video coming off the drone but regular cameras include a lot of info along with the shot. I will post a picture of an old truck I used to have and the information that was passed along with a picture taken of it. The last picture it is cut off way short as there is a ton more info beyond what the screen shot got. I'd rather not pass along any information at all along with a picture or video. If I want to include any information I will do that manually.

Attachments

• Truck.PNG
    Truck.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 40
  • Truck2.PNG
    Truck2.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 42
  • Truck3.PNG
    Truck3.PNG
    47.4 KB · Views: 41
You specifically said VIDEO. There is no GPS info with video.
With a PHOTO, yes, there is exif data, that can be removed doing exactly what I said above.

Reactions: TR Ganey
If I was going to fly in violation of the regs and post the video I would want to strip geo data. Maybe it’s my limited imagination but can’t really think of any good reason to do so otherwise.

If I was going to fly in violation of the regs and post the video I would want to strip geo data. Maybe it’s my limited imagination but can’t really think of any good reason to do so otherwise.
Frankly, if someone wants to keep such information private, then that is their business. As a photographer who has worked to scout and capture some unique content, you may not necessarily share that recipe with others.

Since there is no such data on video files, that doesn't matter.

You have a limited imagination. When I'm flying around my house, or my friends or family members' properties, I don't want to advertise where they live.

What you need to search for is metadata.. Here is a link to the DJI forum that might help..

Reactions: TR Ganey
Who is this uninformed Meta4 guy, that says there is no geo data on video? Half my screen from my drone videos are filled with very detailed Latitudes, and Longitudes, scrolling the changes as I fly along, along with, Elevation Data, aperture data, Date and Times down to the milli-second. Aong with even more stuff. [Removed by ADMIN]!!!!!!
you're mixing the mp4 files with the screen recording

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, nooby here. Being the computer guru I am I can answer this question. I use this program which is coded in Electron. Just drag and drop an image or what ever onto it and bam, EXIF is scrubbed. Works on most files, but not all, YMMV. There are websites that will scrub EXIF as well...

A couple of things. I run a forum much like this one (phpBB coded, not Xenforo) and I have code that strips EXIF out of my user's posts as a courtesy. Especially since there are tools that will siphon EXIF data off of Flickr and whatnot. You really can profile people this way. It's called OSINT or Open Source Intelligence.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled ignorance already in progress...

PS:

DJI videos include subtitles with the telemetry and data, but they usually are lost during edit. In any case, it shouldn't be hard to strip all metadata from them, any major video editing programs can do it and sure there are tons of dedicated programs to remove metadata from images/videos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dipshot