DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximize flight time from drone battery

Beckham1121

Reactions
Maybe a crazy idea but, has anyone ever mounted a light weight mini (2500 mah) power bank to their drone while flying to extend the batteries flight time? Haven't found anything in a search so, thinking it might be a bad idea but, still curious if it might work. My Mini 4 pro has such good range, exceeding the amount of time the battery will last. This is flying with obstacle avoidance turned off. This is the type of power bank I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZCBXMM/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3TB2TN7LQFXBT&psc=1

I appreciate constructive criticism, I don't wish to hear how dumb an idea this might be. Just the facts as to whether it will work or not, and why. I appreciate your feedback.

never thought about it but I think for the cheap price it might be worth a try. if it doesn't work you still have a power bank for other things.

I appreciate constructive criticism, I don't wish to hear how dumb an idea this might be. Just the facts as to whether it will work or not, and why. I appreciate your feedback.
While flying, the drone drains its battery much faster than it accepts charge from a charger.
Plenty of people have modified drones to fly with two batteries rather than attempting to recharge the battery while flying.

Reactions: davidarmenb
Maybe a crazy idea but, has anyone ever mounted a light weight mini (2500 mah) power bank to their drone while flying to extend the batteries flight time? Haven't found anything in a search so, thinking it might be a bad idea but, still curious if it might work. My Mini 4 pro has such good range, exceeding the amount of time the battery will last. This is flying with obstacle avoidance turned off. This is the type of power bank I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZCBXMM/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3TB2TN7LQFXBT&psc=1

Have you tried just flying this rig immediately overhead for the length of both batteries? Should answer your question.
Dale
Miami

Reactions: hiflyer201
These are ALL very good things to consider. Especially that the drone's battery will drain faster than it will accept a charge. Also didn't know that DJI doesn't allow the battery to charge while turned on. This was all very interesting and useful information. Thank you all so much.

The internal chip of the DJI batteries will prevent it from charging while discharging, also, the powerbank can't charge fast enough; you basically need to open the battery and solder a connector for an external lipo in parallel.

Some modified their batteries that way, it made sense a few years back when drones flew for around 10-15 real minutes. But the Mavic 3 can fly around 30 real minutes and so can the others, so I see no profit in doing that.

If you need more effective flight time the easiest way is to takeoff closer to the interest point, so you spend less battery travelling.