DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strong wind warning

hkdman

Reactions
Hey all - stupid question, but that has never stopped me from asking! I was flying my mavic today - after about 1800 feet, I received a message that said something like "strong winds initiate return to home" - scared the heck out of me so I did exactly that and returned my Mavic to me. How does this warning get triggered? Obviously from strong winds - but were the winds that strong where my drone was in danger of going down? It didn't feel that windy to me from where I was taking off from. Thanks!

mine is giving me strong wind warnings every few seconds even in winds only 10mph. It's really annoying to constantly have to clear the warning off the screen only to have it pop back up almost immediately. Surely this can't be normal.

I could understand if the winds were truly strong.

I think the mavic has two wind warnings. The first is a "Warning: Strong winds fly with caution" I get this in light-moderate winds and have mostly stopped worrying about it unless I know the winds are already starting to test the Mavic. The second one I've seen which I've only seen a few times is the "Strong winds, return home" line. This line I take more seriously since I don't see it as often so have less experience with it.

Winds can ramp up quickly as you clear the surrounding trees and buildings. Furthermore, the higher you get, the less winds are slowed down by objects and friction at ground level. Winds can quickly double or more in speed a few hundred feet up.

If I'm flying in strong winds, or am receiving unexpected warnings from my Mavic my first step is to see how quickly the Mavic will fly into the wind. If speed is greatly reduced and you're worried about getting it home, try reducing the altitude. Sport mode helps a lot in fighting high wind speeds, and I've flown mine in ~40km/h winds in sport mode (although it drained the battery fast and I wouldn't want to fly it far downwind). Worse case, try to get behind an object to shield it from the brunt of the wind and attempt a remote landing to wait for the winds to drop.

If the Mavic is being pushed in any direct by enough force it triggers the warning/alert. The higher you fly the more wind. Best time to fly is usually mornings, less wind

I get the warnings all the time as long as I am able to move the drone around in P mode, I don't worry much about it, I know I can always switch to Sport mode if things get really hairy.

Sport mode should allow you to fight wind speeds as much as twice that in regular mode.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloⒶlerta