DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggested Controller Settings?

Wombat55

Reactions
Anyone have any recommendations on suggested controller settings when using the DJI smartphone app for the Mavic? My own setup is pretty basic. I just use the default settings on the DJI app and check to make sure that the "Return-to-Home" altitude is set high enough (usually 85 m) so that it won't crash into anything in case I have an emergency and have to punch the RTH button.

The little 5D button near the middle-right of the Mavic controller? Never use it. Seems that the default settings of "Camera Forward/Down and Zoom-In and Zoom-Out" aren't useful and can't think of anything else that I should reassign this 5D button to. The "C1" and "C2" buttons on the back of the Mavic controller? Their default setting is "Not defined" and again I can't think of any use for them so I don't use them either. "Enable Vision Positioning"? "RTH Obstacle Check"? "Downlink Bandwidth"? Have no idea so everything is left at their default settings. Is this pretty much what everyone else does?

Anyone have any recommendations on suggested controller settings when using the DJI smartphone app for the Mavic? My own setup is pretty basic. I just use the default settings on the DJI app and check to make sure that the "Return-to-Home" altitude is set high enough (usually 85 m) so that it won't crash into anything in case I have an emergency and have to punch the RTH button.

The little 5D button near the middle-right of the Mavic controller? Never use it. Seems that the default settings of "Camera Forward/Down and Zoom-In and Zoom-Out" aren't useful and can't think of anything else that I should reassign this 5D button to. The "C1" and "C2" buttons on the back of the Mavic controller? Their default setting is "Not defined" and again I can't think of any use for them so I don't use them either. "Enable Vision Positioning"? "RTH Obstacle Check"? "Downlink Bandwidth"? Have no idea so everything is left at their default settings. Is this pretty much what everyone else does?
C1, toggle LEDs, and C2 view battery info. Very useful and vital.

Reactions: Wombat55
Anyone have any recommendations on suggested controller settings when using the DJI smartphone app for the Mavic? <snip>
The little 5D button near the middle-right of the Mavic controller? Never use it. Seems that the default settings of "Camera Forward/Down and Zoom-In and Zoom-Out" aren't useful and can't think of anything else that I should reassign this 5D button to.
Agreed not overly useful. Most useful and least obvious is that pressing down on the 5D button gives you the Smart flight mode menu. Took me a while to work that out and I use that a bit.

The "C1" and "C2" buttons on the back of the Mavic controller?
C1 Center Auto Focus, C2 front LEDs on/off
. "Enable Vision Positioning"?
YES you want that. This gives you stable hover using vision system to augment and at times replace GPS.
A sub mode of that is Landing Protection. This is a No for me. It checks for level ground before landing. If you are there you can assess that. OTOH if it ever RTHs and you are not at the home point, it may well sit and hover if it does not like the ground. This could be problematic.
"RTH Obstacle Check"?
Dealers choice. If you trust you have a high enough RTH alt set, leave it off so you do not run the risk of getting hung up by spurious obstacle like the Sun.
"Downlink Bandwidth"?
I have left that alone.

In camera settings, last column, center points. Setting any one of these in lieu of the default "None" can be very handy for orientation and landing accuracy. Then simply toggle the 5D button for gimbal down placing a bomb site [+] of your choice directly beneath the Mavic.

Reactions: Wombat55
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998