DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestions on a cheap tablet only for flying

Cheaptoad

Reactions
7 or 10 inch. I'd only be using it for flying. Not even sure I'll get one. Just want to have one in mind if I do decide. Doesn't have to be new either.

Thanx
Steve

Samsung A - depends on ya pricepoint....

Probably under $50 if it's only being used for this. As of now I mean. Plus I'm not shooting video. Just still for now. So, it's just a convenience thing. Even if I don't get a tablet, I'll use the tablet mount for my Note 8 phone

Probably under $50 if it's only being used for this. As of now I mean. Plus I'm not shooting video. Just still for now. So, it's just a convenience thing. Even if I don't get a tablet, I'll use the tablet mount for my Note 8 phone
You would be way better off flying with a Note 8 than with any under $50 tablet. That price point will buy you laggy performance and RC disconnects :)

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted member 877

Anything under $50, even second-hand, would not be suitable. DJI Go 4 is a resource-intensive application so keep that in mind. A lot of people (including me) have recommended a recent model Apple iPad or one of the more powerful Android-based tablets.

I have an iPad mini 2 and a 2016 Amazon Fire HD8 I use with my Mavic pro. I have zero issues with either one. No lag, no disconnects. Most people on this forum and most lists will tell you both are underpowered and will heat up. I personally have not experienced either. Fly a few times a week flawlessly. Obviously, the more you spend and better tablet you invest in the better, but this is just my 2 cents. Take it for what it’s worth to you. iPad is dedicated and has nothing else on it. Fire is loaded with all sorts of apps and still has zero issues.

Whilst not $50 cheap a secondhand Huawei M3 Lite is a cost effective tablet that plays nicely with Go 4.

7 or 10 inch
You can find a list of supported and commonly used 7-10 inch tablets here:

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

As others noted above, it's not a great idea to buy a tablet based solely on the price. You should also consider the processing power and brightness of the screen (if that's important). Buying a used/refurbished tablet will save you some money.

Reactions: charliej
I have an iPad mini 2 and a 2016 Amazon Fire HD8 I use with my Mavic pro. I have zero issues with either one. No lag, no disconnects. Most people on this forum and most lists will tell you both are underpowered and will heat up. I personally have not experienced either. Fly a few times a week flawlessly. Obviously, the more you spend and better tablet you invest in the better, but this is just my 2 cents. Take it for what it’s worth to you. iPad is dedicated and has nothing else on it. Fire is loaded with all sorts of apps and still has zero issues.
I didn't know a Fire could work. Interesting. Thanx

Hi there I use my ipad mini 2 works great on my spark and mavic platinum. Regards Irvine (Portsmouth UK )

My ipad mini 2 worked fine the first few flights, which were at night. But on a hot day, lag city. Yes, I turned off local videp cache, went airplane mode, etc. It's just a matter of temperature. I live in FL. The ipad was noticable HOT after flying.

I've replaced with new ipad 9.7 6th gen. No problem there - doesn't even get warm after 40 minutes of running the app.

Have just purchased a used I Pad Mini 4, to be used with my MA only all set up and test flight completed, works extremely well.

My ipad mini 2 worked fine the first few flights, which were at night. But on a hot day, lag city. Yes, I turned off local videp cache, went airplane mode, etc. It's just a matter of temperature.
Yes, this is definitely an issue with the iPad Mini 2. I used to have trouble with mine in temperatures at around 90°F+.

Taking the iPad Mini out of its case and standing in the shade resolved the issue most of the time for me. It's not always possible to stand in shady areas though.

Yes, this is definitely an issue with the iPad Mini 2. I used to have trouble with mine in temperatures at around 90°F+.

Taking the iPad Mini out of its case and standing in the shade resolved the issue most of the time for me. It's not always possible to stand in shady areas though.

The night after my first ActiveTrack flight, I had a dream that the drone could sprout an umbrella and follow me around in the rain in ActiveTrack mode. haha.

Reactions: okw and msinger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
do72er