DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sun Hol's abuse of the 'Drone Code' with a DJI Drone!

FoxhallGH

Reactions
There's a load of - 'stuff' - kicking off on my Mavic Pro Facebook group about an advert put together by a UK Holiday company - Sun Hol's ...
The OP gave a link to the Advertising Standards Association [ https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html ] and made the suggestion that Drone owners 'complain' - in the light of recent events at Gatwick and the bad press drones and drone pilots have received - in respect of the way the DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone shown in this advert/video, is flown in complete ignorance of UK Drone Code and public safety (tho' to be fair - at least it didn't appear to be flown within 1 Km of an airport boundary!).
This is an example of happily plastering this kind of thing over the Internet - then hanging us recreational & commercial drone pilots out to dry if we did the same!
If you think that this advert is mis-representing Drones & our hobby / profession - then please feel free to add your complaint to the growing pile at ASA ...

Last edited:
unbelievable its got to be a piss take of our hobby or typical Sun bad taste either way completely out of order and in no way funny

We had an add running on high rotation on both free to air and cable TV showing a UAV hovering a few inches above a couples head with a piece of mistletoe suspended beneath. A couple of teenagers were controlling the UAV. The add was for Telstra, the major telecom company here. I lodged a complaint with both Telstra and CASA. Never heard from either and the add kept playing.

Reactions: Bwoody321
I saw that last night & couldn’t believe my eyes:rolleyes: looking through and flying through caravan windows, flying above people, etc... nothing like stabbing us in the back again, not a good start for our hobby in 2019, what next.o_O Even my wife couldn’t believe it, her words “ that’s not good for your hobby”

Reactions: Porky
@FoxhallGH beat me to it, I saw this last night and was almost screaming at the TV. Please please register a complaint about this and get it taken down. I've complained about both flouting the drone code when we're currently in a very sensitive time regarding drones and also encouraging voyeurism regarding flying into a random caravan whilst a woman is changing.

I see the comments on YouTube have already taken off, but don't just whinge about this on forums, please register a complaint with the ASA. Make a complaint

Last edited:
How did you go about complaining?;)

Anyone?
I just searched for the ASA (Advertising Standards Agency) and there was an online form to fill in so was easy to do.

The Sun on this occasion is also making it look like you go away and harassed by drones so why would you want to go with them.

Good luck on your quest too.

Reactions: Porky
Reactions: Bwoody321 and Porky
A
There's a load of - 'stuff' - kicking off on my Mavic Pro Facebook group about an advert put together by a UK Holiday company - Sun Hol's ...
The OP gave a link to the Advertising Standards Association [ https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html ] and made the suggestion that Drone owners 'complain' - in the light of recent events at Gatwick and the bad press drones and drone pilots have received - in respect of the way the DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone shown in this advert/video, is flown in complete ignorance of UK Drone Code and public safety (tho' to be fair - at least it didn't appear to be flown within 1 Km of an airport boundary!).
This is an example of happily plastering this kind of thing over the Internet - then hanging us recreational & commercial drone pilots out to dry if we did the same!
If you think that this advert is mis-representing Drones & our hobby / profession - then please feel free to add your complaint to the growing pile at ASA ...

Have you thought of contacting your breakfast programmes to see if they will take it up for you and air your concerns to the whole of the UK? This would be very bad press for Sun Hols and they would likely take down the Ad.

as the original poster of this (all over Facebook) thanks for sharing.... Go complain people!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-04-14-29-26-972_com.twitter.android.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-04-14-29-26-972_com.twitter.android.png
    238.5 KB · Views: 34
Found this link to the adverts Marketing Agency who seem rather proud of their work.
Even lists the drone operators who should know better.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAJegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2ZMUy-jgQA9HP-ZJJY09v9
I don't know if you can blame the Drone operators on this one, as most of what you see is production trickery. It depends on what level of 'consultation' they were paid or expected to provide. The vid' shows the Mavic, and not video from the Mavic's camera - so most of the 'flying' could have been hovering in front of a green-screen. It would be very typical to have that part of the vid' done with the drone operators having no idea what the rest of the video would look like or contain.

Reactions: baza104
Good point, I only saw the advert once and certainly some was post production stuff.
Did not notice/see any lights on the close ups either.
If the advertising agency did take any advice it was not from the regulations point of view which we all agree will give us all a bad reputation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure