DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset / Sunrise video settings

VegasDisplays

Reactions
I'm getting great results taking stills of the sunrise and have the camera settings dialed in, but I can't seem to get any good video results. No matter what, I'm getting blown out. Can some of you pros out there give me some tips and post some quick video clips. I have the ISO at 100 and it says my exposure isn't over so I guess it's my aperture???

Lower your aperture. If you have to close it right up then you need to get an ND filter. For every stop you need to open to get back to f/4 - f5.6ish you need one level of filtering. ND2 is one stop, ND4 is two stops, ND8 is three stops etc.

Upping your shutter speed will cut the light. I wouldn't go too far on the aperture without upping shutter speed. If you shooting at 30fps try going as high as 120 on shutter, with a rather static subject like these the faster shutter speed shouldn't hurt.

Thanks a lot for this! I'm going to try everything- It's getting a little frustrating. Can someone post a good video they shot of a sunrise??

If you are recording in the dLOG you can pull the highlights down a lot which will help the sky colours.
If trying to do it more in camera, probably reduce contrast a bit, up saturation and underexpose according the onboard EV.
If left at around 0.0 it will try to make the scene look like daylight, we 'expect' it to appear darker so maybe -2.0 or lower is nearer the mark.

You are going to need ND filters if you want to keep shutter spread down. But graduated ND is going to be difficult to use on a drone. Graduated ND filters are for film and higher end cinematography.

Shoot d-log, manual, and use the histogram to expose for and not clip the highlights. Bring up the shadows in post.

Everyone not doing point and shoot should be looking at the histogram and possibly using zebras to show blown out areas.

You are going to need ND filters if you want to keep shutter spread down. But graduated ND is going to be difficult to use on a drone. Graduated ND filters are for film and higher end cinematography.

Shoot d-log, manual, and use the histogram to expose for and not clip the highlights. Bring up the shadows in post.

Everyone not doing point and shoot should be looking at the histogram and possibly using zebras to show blown out areas.

Thanks! I'm still not sure if it would be best to use any ND filters at all, like maybe a 4 or 8???

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I'm getting great results taking stills of the sunrise and have the camera settings dialed in, but I can't seem to get any good video results. No matter what, I'm getting blown out. Can some of you pros out there give me some tips and post some quick video clips. I have the ISO at 100 and it says my exposure isn't over so I guess it's my aperture???
U must use filter no way out of this.

Attachments

• 53720054_2664019600292110_152724969711730688_o.jpg
    53720054_2664019600292110_152724969711730688_o.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 102

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis