DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Surfing...ND or not to ND?

arcolog2

Reactions
So I've been playing around with the ND filters and getting some cool shots reducing shutter to double fps.

However, would it be wise to not slow the shutter so much for action shots? Getting shots of friends surfing is blurry, because I cant follow them exactly centered on my screen to prevent them from blurring with the ND filters purposely causing motion blur.

Does anyone have a recommended shutter speed to work with so as to have a clean action shot without the weird super fast shutter look?

Dave

Having the same issues with skiing.You'll need to experiment, but a good starting point might be a shutter speed close to what you might use for a still, when following, say 1/200-1/400 or so. It would be a compromise between a really fast shutter and the excessive blur we get at 1/60.

Sure wish we had 4k 60fps or even good, non aliased, 1080 60 at times like this.

I would think that if you are panning or using active track on your subject, even if you are keeping it close to centered, there should be relatively little motion blur since the subject is pretty static relative to your cameras focal point. Have you tried shooting in 4k/30fps, then up sampling in post to 60fps? If you do this with a capable program, the results are really good. Also, if your subject were moving more or less towards or away from the camera, there will be less motion blur since you're not panning. I'd love to see some of your video, I bet it's pretty cool regardless! Just curious, is there much aliasing in 1080p/60fps in water shots? I know there is with things like leaves and grass.

The worst part is the **** sun in Hawaii. I know I'm going to lose sight of drone at times, but using the camera to judge height is scary lol. Especially when waves are coming in from the side and you don't always know how big it's going to be haha. At least I'm usually higher than it looks on my phone.
I am not schooled up very well in post production, and don't really have the time to learn too much. I decided to fly with the nd16 today instead of nd32, and the video is nice still (not surfing) I might try nd8 tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: digitalbar
Oh the second part is at times they want still shots. And we know knocking down shutter speed ruins that a bit. I so wish I could have the best of both worlds.

Where are you shooting? I will be between northshore and kailua on Saturday. I want to see you setup. You can test out my taco rc mc nds if you want.

Where are you shooting? I will be between northshore and kailua on Saturday. I want to see you setup. You can test out my taco rc mc nds if you want.
Oh the second part is at times they want still shots. And we know knocking down shutter speed ruins that a bit. I so wish I could have the best of both worlds.

Yeah, for stills you're gonna want to loose that ND filter.

Yo man, I was at tracks beach park when west was kicking last week. Yesterday was at makapuu light house. (Went up there with my toddler and infant, so only got to fly for a few minutes.) I do have the taco-rc mc/nd filter set also. I like them, but gotta get more lense cleaner lol. They get dirtier in their little case than while flying! Got a few other people at work ordering mavics now. Now to hope they follow my suggestions and don't make mistakes.

Yeah, for stills you're gonna want to loose that ND filter.
Yea man. Thing for me is I'll be waiting for them to catch a wave and get bored so I fly shoreline and want the more cinematic video(not that it turns into anything yet, I don't have time to learn to edit.) I wish I could make a filter wheel and click through different filters while flying...

****..... I was flying at Waimanalo yesterday and almost went Makapuu. Instead went to Olamana. Going to chinamans hat today, close to my house.

Cant wait for Taco to put out a Polaroid lens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre