DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet/phone holder for Mavic Series - Do they interfere with radio signals?

NealJ777

Reactions
I'm thinking about getting one of those phone/tablet adapters that move the phone to the top and above the controller versus being underneath the controller. I was wondering if they interfere with signal/Tx/Rx etc.

I was looking at this one because it seems more portable, but this one places the phone/tablet up and away.

Both of those are cheap not very expensive. I've seen others for closer to $40, but is it really necessary to spend $40 on a phone adapter?

They are not cheap for sure. Either arrangement should work if you keep the flat sides of the controller antennae pointed generally toward your drone. Better clearance makes it easier.
FWIW I use the PolarPro mount with my M2P setup, and have tried multiple others, including DJIs
Here’s some pics.

I use the MavMount with good results. High quality and versatile. I find it worthwhile for my various smaller tablets. I trade it between my MA and MM, as needed. They also offer additional different size adapters. For me, the Note 8 is just right. I found the Ipad 10.2 to be a bit akward mounted over the controller and have moved to mounting it on a tripod/w adapter, attached to controller. It also allows for seated flying :)

I would fly with a phone attached until you can fly well, and can find all the controls without looking. Otherwise you will be tipping the tablet up or sideways to find the button.

...Otherwise you will be tipping the tablet up or sideways to find the button.

That is precisely why I would get a bracket that puts the phone/tablet at the front (top) of the controller. Placing it at the bottom is IMO, a serious design flaw.

Top and forward is best for me. Depending on how I pack, I use my Note 8 in the controller holder, or use my MavMount (top/forward). If flying with my Ipad 10.2, MavMount (top/forward) or mounted on a tripod. Not sure I have seen a bottom setup.

That is precisely why I would get a bracket that puts the phone/tablet at the front (top) of the controller. Placing it at the bottom is IMO, a serious design flaw.

I would be concerned with signal loss from the antennas, especially flying at any distance from the controller. Any phone/tablet would consist of enough metal that could interfere with the reception.

I would be concerned with signal loss from the antennas, especially flying at any distance from the controller. Any phone/tablet would consist of enough metal that could interfere with the reception.
Just don’t mount it so that antennae are obstructed.

That is a concern of mine and the main reason for posting this thread. Obviously, it's not a big issue or we'd be hearing more about it.

You should go with the cheap one. I have the MavMount but do not see that the quality is all the great (certainly not 3x the price great). For one thing even with the thumb screw at maximum tightness, it still wiggles (which none of the ball mounts on my tripods do). For another, the ball is scared up after a day of use. It's usable, but I have to believe that the cheap one will work just as well.

The flight deck is designed for a Crystal Monitor and you will have to pay for really nice bracket that you can't use.
As for "knowing where the buttons are" you really don't need any of the buttons in flight except for the mode button, but that's on the side anyway. All the other buttons are also in the app. My first day, I really had no issues finding the buttons.

I hope you report back about that one on amazon link you posted. I wish I had gotten that one.

You should go with the cheap one...

I hope you report back about that one on amazon link you posted. I wish I had gotten that one.

Which one is that?

I did order one and I'll report back with an update. Because of Amazon's awesome return policy, I should have just ordered all of them and just return the ones that don't work out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J