DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet

I have tried my iPad mini 2 several times and I can't use it as it is way too dim for even indirect sunlight. I can't believe everyone recommends it so highly. Is everyone using a Hoodman or something? I use my iPad Air 2 and it is quite a bit better but I still need some good shade to really use it. My iPhone 6+ is the brightest by far, but too small to be any fun. I think the new DJI display will be a big hit if it works nearly as good as advertised.

My Hoodman is on order. The Mini 2's screen is pretty dim, thus the Hoodman. I many other ways it is the best platform IMO.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm assuming I can use hotspot on from my phone through Bluetooth or wifi and get full data and gps that way.
GPS data cannot be shared via a hotspot.

This is strange because when i activate my iPhone as a hotspot i get my exact location on my wifi iPad. Without hotspot, nada
The A in A-GPS mean Assisted (by WiFi) - There is a database of GPS coordinates for every Wi-Fi hotspot. When you enable your hotspot on your iPad/iPhone this updates the GPS coordinate for said Wi-Fi hotspot, which the Wi-Fi iPad could (and apparently does) reverse lookup to get a location. Windows PCs do the same thing (get approximate location from nearby Wi-Fi), so I'm assuming iPads are smart enough to do this too ;).

The A in A-GPS mean Assisted (by WiFi) - There is a database of GPS coordinates for every Wi-Fi hotspot. When you enable your hotspot on your iPad/iPhone this updates the GPS coordinate for said Wi-Fi hotspot, which the Wi-Fi iPad could (and apparently does) reverse lookup to get a location. Windows PCs do the same thing (get approximate location from nearby Wi-Fi), so I'm assuming iPads are smart enough to do this too ;).

Interesting. What happens when you have no cellular service?

Thank you for clearing up my ignorance! :)

Probably a dumb question, but anyone tried using an iPad mini in portrait mode? Figure it would fit without a bracket but probably wouldn't give you much more viewable picture than an iPhone 6/7 Plus

Last edited:
Probably a dumb question, but anyone tried using an iPad mini in portrait mode?
DJI GO will not run in portrait mode.

Does on my iPhone... swipe left, then click option for portrait/landscape.
That only rotates the camera to portrait mode. It's probably only useful when taking photos.

Last edited:
My Hoodman is on order. The Mini 2's screen is pretty dim, thus the Hoodman. I many other ways it is the best platform IMO.

How about a poor man's sunshade ?? This was cut from a piece of a kid's snow slide that was abandonded in a local park after most usefull parts such as hand-holds broke off. It is about 1/8" foam with a glaze applied to the ground side. Seems most parents don't bother to pick up their broken trash after it's no longer useful and wait for responsible citizens to pick up after them, so I find stuff like this all the time. Anyway ... experimenting now. It the size is not right, just use a pair of scissors.

IMG_20170217_143630.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdober