DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet

m4v1c

Reactions
Hello, so I've been thinking of getting a iPad Mini 4 to fly the Mavic since the app tends to crash on the Google Nexus 6P quite often (I'm assuming its something between my device & the Go4 app). I do have a few questions before the purchase, esp since this would be my first apple product!

1) Majority of this ppl on this thread seem to favor the iPad Mini 4 for flying; has anyone had any reoccurring issues with the app and/or lost of connection mid flight (RC works, but tablet freezes?)? Seems like the Ipad mini 4 is the most favorable tablet for the Mavic compared to other ones; thoughts?

2) Is it worth getting the cellular? I've flown the Mavic several times now and haven't needed to use my data, BUT I do think its nice have the map if the Mavic is far away or something. Seems like ppl have been using their phone to tether wifi which seems like a clever idea.

3) Besides getting the real time maps when flying, is there any other benefit of having cellular data when flying the Mavic? Does the Go4 app even use data???

4) If I purchase the cellular option, how does the data service work? Do I just contact like Tmobile? Can I purchase the Wifi Ipad mini 4 (w/o cellular) and in the future get cellular capabilities installed into it without purchasing a new one?

4) Does the iPad mini 4 have a "real" & dedicated GPS?

5) I only plan to use it for flying; is 16 gb enough? Its nice to have the video cached to my device, but not the end of the world.

6) I know the Mini 5 come out in March, but I found a few good conditioned used ones for ~$250-270. Is that a reasonable price for a used+like new condition?

Thank you!!!

Majority of this ppl on this thread seem to favor the iPad Mini 4 for flying; has anyone had any reoccurring issues with the app and/or lost of connection mid flight (RC works, but tablet freezes?)?
It's a great device. You should not have any trouble using it with DJI GO.

Is it worth getting the cellular? I've flown the Mavic several times now and haven't needed to use my data, BUT I do think its nice have the map if the Mavic is far away or something.
Cellular service is most useful for downloading the maps in real-time. If you don't use the maps often, then tethering or caching the maps is probably the best option for you.

Besides getting the real time maps when flying, is there any other benefit of having cellular data when flying the Mavic?
If using an Apple device, the cellular versions contain a GPS receiver. You can use that GPS receiver whether or not the cellular service is activated.

With GPS on your mobile device, you can use the Follow Me feature and manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't ever plan on using those features, then you likely won't benefit by using a mobile device with GPS.

Does the Go4 app even use data?
All of the features that use data are optional. You can fly with no data.

If I purchase the cellular option, how does the data service work? Do I just contact like Tmobile?
You should be able to setup your cellular service from wherever you buy your iPad Mini.

Can I purchase the Wifi Ipad mini 4 (w/o cellular) and in the future get cellular capabilities installed into it without purchasing a new one?
Yes, but it'll cost more to buy the iPad Mini without a cellular plan. Another option would be to get a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini and attach an external Bluetooth GPS receiver later.

Does the iPad mini 4 have a "real" & dedicated GPS?
Yes. All cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver.

I only plan to use it for flying; is 16 gb enough?
That'll be plenty of memory if you're not going to cache the video on your iPad Mini. If you do plan to always cache it, then you'll need to make a habit of clearing the cache before it's full. That can easily be done from within DJI GO.

I found a few good conditioned used ones for ~$250-270. Is that a reasonable price for a used+like new condition?
See what they are selling for on eBay. That should tell you what the going price is right now.

Reactions: m4v1c
Right -- you certainly cannot convert a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini to a cellular iPad Mini (if that's what the OP meant).

My brother is using a refurb iPad mini 2 with his phantom 4 pro without any issues. So if you want to save a few bucks then look for a version 2 mini. I'd be surprised if DJI introduced something in their app which would make using a version 2 mini obsolete.

I went with the iPAD Mini 2 after having some app instability issues with my Android phone. That not a slam on Android devices, but rather I think the Android version of DJI GO 4 needs some work. I bought the iPAD without cellular and purchased an external GPS Receiver. That cost me a bit more than buying a cellular version, but also allows me to use the GPS receiver on other devices like my two Samsung tablets. Also the Mini 2 fits perfectly in the Mavic RC without additional clamps or modifications. Not sure about the Mini 4.

Hey quick question I'm planing on getting a iPad mini 3 or 4, without cellular. But I'm assuming I can use hotspot on from my phone through Bluetooth or wifi and get full data and gps that way. I'm just wondering if this would work as well?

Reactions: LordJones
Getting caught up here as I just joined today but I worked in the business of mobile electronics. My intentions were to go with an iPad mini 2 and hotspot off of my phone. Cellular chipset cost more and is really not needed for something like this that I can see when hot spotting your phone is an option.

Following along. So what is the preferred method for attaching an iPad mini?

Hotspotting a tablet with give the device data which will allow it to pinpoint the location better and to download maps. I've never even operated a drone so I'm just speaking purely from an operational stand point.

Pin pointed cell location is going to be more accurate than GPS. The device will need the data to download a map to show you where the GPS is exactly.

Reactions: Bigpoppapump
Hotspotting a tablet with give the device data which will allow it to pinpoint the location better and to download maps. I've never even operated a drone so I'm just speaking purely from an operational stand point.

Pin pointed cell location is going to be more accurate than GPS. The device will need the data to download a map to show you where the GPS is exactly.

"Pin pointed cell location is going to be more accurate than GPS" - not sure I buy that one.
Yes connecting to a tablet will give you access to download maps, but this assumes the iPAD knows where it is at. IPADS without cellular capabilities do not have a GPS receiver. Some have implied that the hotspot device will provide the iPAD with this location. This didn't happen for me when I tried it. If others have tried this and been successful in passing the hotspot's location to the iPAD, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

"Pin pointed cell location is going to be more accurate than GPS" - not sure I buy that one.
Yes connecting to a tablet will give you access to download maps, but this assumes the iPAD knows where it is at. IPADS without cellular capabilities do not have a GPS receiver. Some have implied that the hotspot device will provide the iPAD with this location. This didn't happen for me when I tried it. If others have tried this and been successful in passing the hotspot's location to the iPAD, I would be interested in hearing about it.

My wifi only iPad (9'7'' pro) gets gps if i use my phone as a hotspot. But for flying the Mavic i prefer to cache the map on the device and use a Bluetooth GPS receiver.
Using the phone as a hotspot could interfere with the mavic ocusync as they are both in the 2.4 GHz range.

Reactions: Cimriver
My wifi only iPad (9'7'' pro) gets gps if i use my phone as a hotspot. But for flying the Mavic i prefer to cache the map on the device and use a Bluetooth GPS receiver.
Using the phone as a hotspot could interfere with the mavic ocusync as they are both in the 2.4 GHz range.

I also decided to use an external, Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver. I also use cached maps. Wi-FI is turned off on the iPad and my cell phone. Probably overkill, but why not.

Thanks for confirming that hotspot does provide location to the iPAD. My Android phone did not. Others on the forum have posted that this doesn't work. So confusing, but as I said I went with another solution.

I have tried my iPad mini 2 several times and I can't use it as it is way too dim for even indirect sunlight. I can't believe everyone recommends it so highly. Is everyone using a Hoodman or something? I use my iPad Air 2 and it is quite a bit better but I still need some good shade to really use it. My iPhone 6+ is the brightest by far, but too small to be any fun. I think the new DJI display will be a big hit if it works nearly as good as advertised.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy