Tap to focus..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dennis, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Dennis

Dennis Member

To me, the Mavic seems more like a personal drone rather than a professional photography platform like the Phantom line of drones.. I'm not liking the tap to focus feature.. If I'm flying the drone, will I be constantly tapping to focus? Yes, I know I can set to infinity but if thats the case, it should default to that like the Phantom's do, then allow the user to switch to tap to focus mode when required..

I'm concerned the active track mode might get confused when not in focus..

2. sostengo

sostengo Member

So not being able to focus makes it more professional for photography?

I think there will be an option to start up the Mavic with focus to infinity.

3. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

You won't be if you set the focus to infinity.

4. Deckyon

Deckyon Well-Known Member

The only real time I see using TTF is when you change what your subject and composition is. If you are "focusing" on a tight shot of a smaller object (statue or person) in the "selfie" (I really hate that word) mode, then you will want some DoF. Should also be using Tripod mode as well. This would actually make a great cinematic view, having some DoF with the drone on follow mode.

Then, when you want the full landscape or wide shots of the area, take it out of tripod mode, scream up to altitude, TTF on a distant object and fly your mission. I realize the second it takes to TTF is going to cost the shot. Unlike the time it takes to open and setup the P4 (for example).

Instead of worrying about that one second it takes to tap the screen, plan out the shots and take advantage of it. Work it into the mission. That way, all the footage doesnt look the same as it does now with the fixed focus super-wide lenses out there.

5. Raptorman

Raptorman Well-Known Member

I have the Inspire 1 Pro and use tap to focus in most flights. I take off and focus at about the distance I want and press on. Having the option to focus gives you control. One issue with auto focus is that if you are looking upwards a bit and have mostly sky in the FOV then the focus can hunt and that's bad. The same thing can happen when looking down at a body of water for example. So, either you have fixed focus or you have manual focus -- I'l take manual focus any day of the week...

Brian

Deckyon likes this.