DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terminology when flying...or going to fly.

fjc

Reactions
So, now that I have a drone some basic questions arise when talking about the subject. I need to know how to speak of this in a proper manner.
For instance, now that I have a drone am I a "Droner?" Also when heading out to fly my drone, am I going "droning?" Is droning now both a verb and a noun as is "golfing" being both an activity and an action as is "running?" I think it sounds a bit weird to say, I am heading out to do some dronig, but on the other hand is makes sense. Thoughts?

Not a fan of “droner”, sounds to much like “stoner” which I might have been a whole lot of years ago. I consider myself a ‘drone owner“ or a “drone pilot“ and I am going to “fly my drone”, or just “I’m going flying”.

Not a fan of “droner”, sounds to much like “stoner” which I might have been a whole lot of years ago. I consider myself a ‘drone owner“ or a “drone pilot“ and I am going to “fly my drone”, or just “I’m going flying”.
Right, but it's not specific enough to say you are going flying, you could be going to fly a kite. "Droning in my opinion makes more sense, since in one word it conveys that you are going to fly a drone. ...

Im taking out the Phantom , Mavic, Spark , mini
Such as I am taking out the bike, not im going motorcycling not im going droning,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Reactions: pelagic_one
For me it depends on the company i am with; among other flyers I will use the word 'drone' but only as a noun. In the public I feel this word has a negative impact so I will tend to use either the proper name such as Mavic or a less descriptive word that replaces drone such as multi-rotor or just plain RC aircraft.

And in the context of what I am going out doing? The purpose of the average camera drone is to carry a camera much as a tripod does when your on the ground, so when I am going to a ground shoot I never would say I am going tripod-ing or hand-held-shooting, I would say I am going to take some pictures or get some video - how it's done is inconsequential. So when I am going out to fly I just say I'm gonna go shoot some video and pics.

Right, but it's not specific enough to say you are going flying, you could be going to fly a kite. "Droning in my opinion makes more sense, since in one word it conveys that you are going to fly a drone. ...
mmmmmmmm
got me thinking this has
if i take my dog out am i going dogging?:p:p:p
I think we might be onto something! I like it... :)

“Droning” unfortunately has a negative context as well, “droning on” as in endless talking without saying anything.

for me i'm going out to fly

So, now that I have a drone some basic questions arise when talking about the subject. I need to know how to speak of this in a proper manner.
For instance, now that I have a drone am I a "Droner?" Also when heading out to fly my drone, am I going "droning?" Is droning now both a verb and a noun as is "golfing" being both an activity and an action as is "running?" I think it sounds a bit weird to say, I am heading out to do some dronig, but on the other hand is makes sense. Thoughts?

I leave my wife a note, "Out Flying," instead of "Out Fishing."

I think I've used every derivation of everyone else's response, with "I'm going to fly around a bit" being my most prevalent statement, according to my wife.

I don't use the term, but she replies, "Oh, you're going out droning again?" in a sarcastic tone.

I’m going droning
I’m going flying
I’m going Mavicing
I’m going piloting
I’m going unexpectedly flawaying
I’m going out VLOSing.

Since my certificate says REMOTE PILOT, and pilots fly . . .

I think I've used every derivation of everyone else's response, with "I'm going to fly around a bit" being my most prevalent statement, according to my wife.

I don't use the term, but she replies, "Oh, you're going out droning again?" in a sarcastic tone.
Wives can be so intolerant of our toys

Well, I'm also a drummer, so when I practice and/or record, I say I'm drumming.

As for my drones; I say "I'm going to go out and fly". Her only question is "which drone are you taking today?"
Actually, in the past, my wife said I’ll go shopping. COVID 19 kinda put a damper on both our activities.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beluga