DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Testing in winter / snow conditions

Frits

Reactions
We have tough winter conditions lasting into April.
Over the last few weeks I have been testing the Mavic and the resulting footage fairly extensively.
I feel that I have come to a conclusion that works fine for me, namely:

- Temperature limit: - 12 deg. C
- Wind: OK up to 15 - 20 km/h. Max wind gusts: 25 km/h.
- Snow conditions (= lots of white): Had BAD Jello without filters. 8ND filter does the trick for me in all snowy conditions, any time of day
- I like to shoot in D-Cinelike 0, -1, -1. Tried -1 for sharpness but it gave me badly blotched details
- Slight colour grading in Resolve. Also apply a bit of gradient to correct lateral vignetting somewhat

Very pleased with the results at this time.
Here is a clip from this morning. The original at 2.7 looks real good! Note that this is just a (for now) final test. No music, nothing artistic.

Last edited:
I tried today in Oklahoma, couple of inches of snow overnight, 16 degs f, bit chilly. Very overcast. Used full auto. Had some gimbal lag on 360 rotation, jerky video. Fine on straight away shots and gimbal up/down rotation. Had better luck with a Litchi mission later in the day, much smoother and sharper image. Appreciate the sharing on settings for cold weather flights. Nice results. We should have some sun tomorrow, will give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Great ...... it was -25 F here .... I'm sure it will be good

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan