DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TFR - help understand

Claudiob

Reactions
I own Mavic Pro and while I’m not a 107 pilot, I use apps like AIRMAP & UAV Forecast to see if it’s good to fly, wind etc. But I’m in central NJ and we often have a “VIP MOVEMENT” TRF appear in these apps.

Example warning 7/3904 NOTAM Details

Read part C, states “C. The following operations are not authorized within this TFR: flight training, practice instrument approaches, aerobatic flight, glider operations, parachute operations, ultralight, hang gliding, balloon operations, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, sightseeing operations, maintenance test flights, model aircraft operations, model rocketry, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and utility and pipeline survey operations.”

Q: even though I’m currently a recreational drone flyer, does this rules mean I can’t fly? Since I’m registered with dji, currently not with FAA, if I was to fly, will it somehow send an alert that I flown when not suppose too?

While I didn’t test it yet, will the dji app prevent you from going up if indeed there was this type of alert?

I don’t really understand these notices. Are all hobbiest in danger of fines? In past there were no software and registration needed. Now that has all changed!?

Please advise, not sure where to look for answers.
Thanks in advance for you guidance.

Claudio

I own Mavic Pro and while I’m not a 107 pilot, I use apps like AIRMAP & UAV Forecast to see if it’s good to fly, wind etc. But I’m in central NJ and we often have a “VIP MOVEMENT” TRF appear in these apps.

Q: even though I’m currently a recreational drone flyer, does this rules mean I can’t fly? Since I’m registered with dji, currently not with FAA, if I was to fly, will it somehow send an alert that I flown when not suppose too?

Yes, it means you can't fly. DJI will not "report" you to the authorities. Either you will be restricted from flying at all by the software or you can fly and will suffer the consequences if caught.

While I didn’t test it yet, will the dji app prevent you from going up if indeed there was this type of alert?

Depends. Depends on your firmware, depends on the type of restriction, depends on your location. You may be prevented from starting up the motors, or it may allow you and you would have to deal with the consequences if caught flying in a prohibited area.

I don’t really understand these notices. Are all hobbiest in danger of fines? In past there were no software and registration needed. Now that has all changed!?

You should not be flying in a TFR area, or a red NFZ, unless you have authorization and know what you are doing. And you should learn what these areas are before flying, as it is your responsibility as a UAS operator.

Read here to learn more: Airspace Restrictions

You can always be fined (by the FAA, if in the US) for flying in any manner that endangers others. That has always been the case and nothing has changed. What has changed is DJI's involvement in self-policing this sort of activity by users of their products.

FYI- I never fly when I see these alerts to be in on the safe side. But I often get asked to go fly (family, friends, co-workers etc.. “it’s nice out”) and I explain to them of the alerts. But wasn’t sure if I was reading it correctly. I’m glad I asked the group. Do you guys also use these apps to guild you? Punch in my the zip code of 07083 and see for yourself.

FYI- I never fly when I see these alerts to be in on the safe side. But I often get asked to go fly (family, friends, co-workers etc.. “it’s nice out”) and I explain to them of the alerts. But wasn’t sure if I was reading it correctly. I’m glad I asked the group. Do you guys also use these apps to guild you? Punch in my the zip code of 07083 and see for yourself.

Yes. Unfortunately, you're living in just about the most congested airspace on the planet. It's bad enough flying a plane there, let alone a UAS.

Interesting: In the DJI 4.0 app under the menu “no-fly zone” it does not show the same “Restricted Zones” as in the other maps?

I often get asked “ even if you just fly it around 20 ft high, down the street and back etc., or around the parking lot ?” I often reply, “what if by accident it shoots straight up, out of control then what!” Not taking those chances!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d