DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thailand travel - need liability insurance UK - ideas?

JK-London

Reactions
Hi guys,
Off to Thailand in October for a couple of weeks and I have to apply for a license to fly from Thai aviation. No issues, have the forms and got a good idea of what I need to do.
I do need liability insurance with my mavic air serial number listed before I can apply though.
Have googled various companies etc.. but can’t get a straight answer.
I’ve tried Flock and a couple of others but no joy so far. Anyone else been and can anyone recommend a way of doing this?
Cheers
Jason

Hi guys,
Off to Thailand in October for a couple of weeks and I have to apply for a license to fly from Thai aviation. No issues, have the forms and got a good idea of what I need to do.
I do need liability insurance with my mavic air serial number listed before I can apply though.
Have googled various companies etc.. but can’t get a straight answer.
I’ve tried Flock and a couple of others but no joy so far. Anyone else been and can anyone recommend a way of doing this?
Cheers
Jason

Hi Jason
I am permanently living in Thailand. I did not register my M2P
Thai admin is pain in the ***
No one really care about drones. This is why you don't get clear answer about liability insurance.
Drones are not widely used here, very expensive for locals
If you stay for 2 weeks better forget it. Just be wise and stick to the usual rules, airports, military facilities (there are many here...), don't fly higher than 90m, etc.
Pascal

Reactions: JK-London
Hi Jason
I am permanently living in Thailand. I did not register my M2P
Thai admin is pain in the ***
No one really care about drones. This is why you don't get clear answer about liability insurance.
Drones are not widely used here, very expensive for locals
If you stay for 2 weeks better forget it. Just be wise and stick to the usual rules, airports, military facilities (there are many here...), don't fly higher than 90m, etc.
Pascal
Thanks for the feedback mate, really appreciate the time. I was told it’s a $5000 fine and up to 1 year in prison so really didn’t want to take the chance.
Cheers

Was in Thailand a couple of months back with my Mavic Pro. A far as I could find out registering it with officials was impossible. Stories of it taking over 12 months and then insurance had expired so had to start again.

I flew in a few places around and near Phuket. Just asked permission from locals and made sure I kept away from people. I believe all of Bangkok is a no fly zone. As per above, never saw another drone

Here is a link to some video I took

Cheers for the info, I’ll check the video out.
I’m going to be in Krabi so hoping it won’t be as busy or overly controlling there. This will be my 7th trip there but first to Krabi. First time with drone as well so will probably just take it and be Uber careful and respectful.
Cheers

Hi Jason,

I have been around Krabi in Oct. 2018. Stunning landscape with beautiful beaches everywhere. I do agree to above answers in terms of fly responsible, and align with Locals, i.e. Hotel Mgr. Flying over Hotel property without permission can indeed create some problems as the staff might thake preventive actions to protect the privacy of guests.

However, I found people very open minded, no issues and no questions about permits. Tried to get the documents but never succeeded.

Fly save and have fun!

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I'm going to Thailand for 2 weeks this December and I'm bringing my mavic with me. I'm trying to find an insurance company to get the authorization but can't find one on the net. Do you have some suggestions please ?

Hi JK. Im in Thailand, Phuket and i've been here for a while. My drones got delivered by the owner of the authorized DJI retail here and he didn't even mention any paperwork. Point is, as long as you don't fly into someones house, or get dangerously close to people, Thai people don't seem to care. They've got other personal that they have to deal with everyday getting through the so- called high and low seasons. A police patrol car drove past me parked outside a local bar at 11pm with my drone hovering at heads level and they just drove by slowly staring at it and that was that, they just kept going. To be honest, i don't think the police here have knowledge about aviation laws as drones are fairly new to Thailand, and extremely rare due to the cost. However, if something were to happen, and the drone caused injury or damage to anything, prepare yourself to pay a sum that is in no way proportional to the action caused by the drone and greatly inflated. And arguing with Thai people, as a foreigner is useless. Oh and youll get swarmed by 50 thai people laughing at your misfortune. Rule of thumb here is that if anything happens, Thai people are not at fault if foreigners are involved. Thats just the way it is. Great thing is you can fly at night and scenery is amazing.

Technically, as you said, you are not allowed to fly a drone in Thailand without the proper authorizations. If you plan to do so, whether as a hobby or for commercial reasons, you have to by law register your drone first. If you don’t you could face a fine of up to 100,000 Baht or even up to five years in prison. They are serious about this, so before you fly, make sure you register your drone with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). In addition, if your drone has a camera (any weight) or weighs over two kilos then you need to obtain insurance and get permission to fly from the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT). Their fine for not doing this is up to 40,000 Baht and up to one year in prison. Most of Thai Policemen don't know about this but if you get caught by someone who is aware of the Thai aviation laws you can be sure that he will know how to get money out of you.

I was advised to register the drone before entering the Kingdom of Thailand so I contacted a guy there who did all the stuff for me (For a fee) I don't know about the insurance but I'm sure you can ask him and he will help you to sort this out:

[email protected]

Technically, as you said, you are not allowed to fly a drone in Thailand without the proper authorizations. If you plan to do so, whether as a hobby or for commercial reasons, you have to by law register your drone first. If you don’t you could face a fine of up to 100,000 Baht or even up to five years in prison. They are serious about this, so before you fly, make sure you register your drone with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC). In addition, if your drone has a camera (any weight) or weighs over two kilos then you need to obtain insurance and get permission to fly from the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT). Their fine for not doing this is up to 40,000 Baht and up to one year in prison. Most of Thai Policemen don't know about this but if you get caught by someone who is aware of the Thai aviation laws you can be sure that he will know how to get money out of you.

I was advised to register the drone before entering the Kingdom of Thailand so I contacted a guy there who did all the stuff for me (For a fee) I don't know about the insurance but I'm sure you can ask him and he will help you to sort this out:

[email protected]
Oh Man, sounds really serious.

Luckily we can pay our way out of anything here for close to nothing. Although its probably not a good idea to rely on bribes.

And also be careful about the paperwork they give you if you do register. Make sure you double check it with a branch of the government or even the local police station if you're serious about it.

The person that gives you the permit might be authorized to do so, but still might write you a bogus one in order to pocket the funds. Ive been here a while. The authorities are absolutely crooked

Have fun in Thailand.