DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 The Bacon Island RR Bascule Bridge on a misty delta morning

Evmoius

Reactions
What an interesting structure! This is one of two of these bascule bridges sitting in the delta since 1929. This particular bridge no longer raises, but I believe it's twin is still functional. There were only 8 of these built in the entire country. Today, six remain.

Last edited:
Well done! I like the fog's effect also.Scheduling the train to come through @ the right time was nice touch! 🤣 🤣 I'd be interested in seeing how that raises the bridge. Somebody smarter than me figured that one out.

Last edited:
Reactions: a2tomm
Well done! I like the fog's effect also.Scheduling the train to come through @ the right time was nice touch! 🤣 🤣 I'd be interested in seeing how that raises the bridge. Somebody smarter than me figured that one out.
It's actually a busy corridor. This was the second train that went through in the 45 minutes I was there. I tracked the first one but forgot to hit record haha.

As to the operation of the bridge, that big counterweight swings down and pushes the pivot down that angled track. As it moves down, it pulls the span up. When they want to put the bridge back down they turn on winches that pull the pivot back up the track. It's a pretty cool / unusual design and makes for a striking landmark.

Reactions: Prop Wash
The entire scene takes on a dreamy purple hue due to the presence of mist. The passing train adds the perfect finishing touch!

Thank you!

Yesterday morning, we passed under BNSF bridge 6.3 (formerly Great Northern bridge 4) in Seattle, another bascule bridge. This one was built in 1914 and has been in continuous use since then.

Attachments

• GN-4.jpg
    GN-4.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 6
Yesterday morning, we passed under BNSF bridge 6.3 (formerly Great Northern bridge 4) in Seattle, another bascule bridge. This one was built in 1914 and has been in continuous use since then.
Thanks for sharing that!
It's amazing how much 100year old RR infrastructure is still in use.

I am from Seattle and was thinking that looks like the bridge by the locks!

What an interesting structure! This is one of two of these bascule bridges sitting in the delta since 1929. This particular bridge no longer raises, but I believe it's twin is still functional. There were only 8 of these built in the entire country. Today, six remain.

Serene, dreamy, moody.
Nice colors and delicate smooth drone moves. Well done.
Thanks for posting, really enjoyed watching this short video.

I enjoyed that a lot. Water, fog, bridge - what’s not to like, especially with the cinematic flying. Bravo.

Appealing location, great light, well done.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147